Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have bad grades? Don't shop at this Gamestop.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have bad grades? Don't shop at this Gamestop.

Store only sells video games to kids with good grades

Imagine a video game shop that reinforces good grades instead of undermining them?

Well that's just what we found at one retail store along I-20 where the manager, who happens to be married to a teacher, asks kids about school before making a sale.

He's not exactly a video game MVP but he wants every school-age client to know about another set of letters.

"He needs to be reading a book. He knows how to play Madden before he knows how to do his ABCs and 123s - that's backwards!" said GameStop manager Brandon Scott.

Scott manages a popular GameStop in south Dallas - and started a new policy this summer on his own.

No school-age customer can buy a video game unless an adult confirms that the child's getting good grades in school.

GameStop doesn't endorse or even know about the good-grade rule.

"I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but to me it's worth it, because the kids understand that somebody cares," said Scott.

So far, parents and other adults like the concept.

"Well it makes sense. Why reward a kid with a game when he's not doing good in school?" said customer Robert Coulter.

So far, Scott has refused about two dozen sales.

But he says most of the students come back later, with good grades, to make a purchase.

And Scott has other unwritten policies.

"They know when they come in here, they do not curse, they do not use the N-word, pull your clothes up," Scott said.

He's even pledged to buy any video for a student on one condition.

"If you give me straight As with your teachers signature, endorsing it and your parent up here, I'll buy you a brand new game," Scott said.

"I was like, man he's going lose his job! But no I don't think so because I think there's got to be a point at which you put the kids and the value of education over the dollar," said Ann Fields.

I wonder how long he applies this? If he keeps up even through junior high, I think he'd get stabbed.
    |TG-33rd|Calvin

Re: Have bad grades? Don't shop at this Gamestop.

I'm tired of this kind of crap. Children aren't 'less' than adults, and deserve more respect than this. If they have the money to purchase goods, then give them their friggin' game like you would to an adult. There should be no difference here. I think we can get by without electronic gaming stores playing parent.

Of course, anyone over the age of 16 will just roll his eyes and grin at how kids are getting screwed over, something I've never understood and something I see disturbingly often.
    Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if GameStop adopts this policy and starts enforcing it on all chain GameStop stores.

...But then again, it's a lot of work...so we might not ever see this happening. :p
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Silas Ender View Post
        I'm tired of this kind of crap. Children aren't 'less' than adults, and deserve more respect than this. If they have the money to purchase goods, then give them their friggin' game like you would to an adult. There should be no difference here. I think we can get by without electronic gaming stores playing parent.

Of course, anyone over the age of 16 will just roll his eyes and grin at how kids are getting screwed over, something I've never understood and something I see disturbingly often.
        I wouldn't call this "kids getting screwed over." Can't they just take their money somewhere else? And what "right" does a kid have to buy video games? Entitlement, anyone?

This is a good concept, but the guy will get fired by GameStop for not selling enough pre-orders. That's my prediction.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Well, at least he's showing a little bit of altruism, which is how a capitalist society is supposed to get around welfare systems. He's just not a political realist, which is why he works at Game Stop instead of making foreign policy.
          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
            I wouldn't call this "kids getting screwed over." Can't they just take their money somewhere else? And what "right" does a kid have to buy video games? Entitlement, anyone?

This is a good concept, but the guy will get fired by GameStop for not selling enough pre-orders. That's my prediction.
            What "right" does an adult have to buy video games? I'd love to see the reaction of college students if they had to present grades as well, or working professionals having to present their performance reviews in order to make a purchase. It's a good concept in your estimation, because it doesn't impinge on you in any way.
            Last edited by Silas Ender; 09-13-2007, 11:57 PM.
            Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Comment

It's not like they're forced by law to sell their product to you, although I think they'd get in trouble if they based it on ethnicity.
              The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
              I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

What "right" does an adult have to buy video games? I'd love to see the reaction of college students if they had to present grades as well, or working professionals having to present their performance reviews in order to make a purchase. It's a good concept in your estimation, because it doesn't impinge on you in any way.
                Because kids don't really have any rights. In any case, it's still economics 101. Take your money somewhere else if you think a business owner is being unfair. If you think you're being discriminated upon based on race, nationality, religion, then get a lawyer.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I'm tired of this kind of crap. Children aren't 'less' than adults, and deserve more respect than this.
                  Yeah! Kids deserve more respect than having adults guide them in their priorities! Kids shouldn't have to learn how to read before they can buy Madden 2008! That's just BS!
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

That is a very similar approach to what I am doing with my kids. Good grades and good attitude at home AND school, they get more computer time. Bad grades or attitude, the get less time. They are in 6th and 7th grade and so far both of them have been on the honor roll or super honor roll (all A's) almost EVERY quarter of their entire school careers so far. We make a huge hubbub about it every quarter, they get to pick a celebration dinner from just about any restaurant in town (as long as each dinner is less than $20 per person), after that we go out for ice cream and a movie as well. What they don't realize is that this also helps with their self esteem, as they are VERY, VERY proud of their achievements.
                    |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                    I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Yeah, but you're presumably a parent, which this guy is not, and people don't like it when their incompetence is unveiled by someone who gives a damn about kids.
                      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

how retarded, If Person A goes to a store with Money, and Game B is in price range and the person isn't younger then the rating's age requirement. who is this Retard to send them away. I agree with Silas, this guy has gone too far.

Now here's what we at TG should do about it, 30-06's and .45's for everyone, pitchfork and torch if you want them. lets Raize his building and burn him. (chuckles)

Comment

Wow. You, sir, are wicked (to quote Dotoevsky).

I personally don't think this should be applied to college students. We are technically of age and considered adults in the eyes of the court.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I believe when it says 'school-age' it means the mandatory school period from K-12. College students, of course, are free to play games as much as they want and flunk classes. Its their money (or their parent's) after all.

This kinda reminds me of the word of Gord in a way. Luckily stores have the right to refuse service to anyone and if he's being pressured by his wife (who is a teacher in case you missed that) to refuse service to potential bad students then its his right. Of course he may get canned, but if he wants to risk that then more power to him.
                            My sanity is not in question...
                            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                              Of course he may get canned, but if he wants to risk that then more power to him.
                              I bet his sales triple.

I plan on going there and spending some money just to support him. Well, and I've been wanting Brain Age 2 for a while, too...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X