No announcement yet.

Classic songs

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic songs

I know that I am just 17, but I appreciate the classics more than the rap that is over-sexed (mind you, the word of the rap mostly makes sence). What is your favorite classics?

Some of my favorite classic bands and artists are Steely Dan , Genisis, Don McLean, America, Pink Floyd, and others :). Some of Steely Dan songs are Black Friday, Kid Charlemagne, and My Old School. I have been raised on Genisis since I was little, yet I can't tell you the names of the songs. Well, there is the oldie but goody 'A Boy named Sue' by Johnny Cash.

Again to state the obvious, what is your favorite classic?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: Classic songs

That's a tough one. I think I'm going to have to go with "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits.

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
      That's a tough one. I think I'm going to have to go with "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits.
      Great song! There's no way I can sensibly pick a winner, so I'll just pick one of many.

Mobile - The Who
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

I agree with icky - too hard to choose just one, but I'm putting out the first one that popped in my head.

In My Time of Dying - Led Zeppelin
        Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
        Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
        ...and other distractions of various levels.

I've noticed that when I start to hate a rap song its because their lyrics go something like:

<swear 1><swear 2><female dog><swear 1><swear 1><real word><real word 2> :: repeat

Although I do find myself enjoying rap, hip hop, and a whole other mess of genres (rock, metal, alt, country, pretty much genre has a song I enjoy in it) so long as it doesnt follow the above said formula. DJing has really done something for that, though.

I listen to mostly all metal (except Power Metal), but tend to stay in the Death, Thrash, Black metal area. There's always great classics in each sub-genre I always have playing.

Thrash Metal:
            Antichrist - Slayer
            Capture of Sin - Slayer
            Wake Up Dead - Megadeth
            Bombenhagel - Sodom

Death Metal:
            Maze of Torment - Morbid Angel
            Hammer Smashed Face - Cannibal Corpse
            Defenestration - Cryptopsy

Black Metal:
            Transilvanian Hunger - Darkthrone
            Lost Wisdom - Burzum

I just can't get enough of Zeppelin. There's a cover band on the East coast called Lez Zeppelin. Bunch of girls who play the part incredibly well. Seen them 3 times now, and last time they played In My Time of Dying, and it was amazing! I can't pick a favorite song from them, just like I can't even pick a favorite band.

Other bands: The Who, Rush, and Beatles, Boston, ZZ Top, and sooooooo many more. Heh, would late 80s/early 90s be considered somewhat "Classic," rock now?

I love to just lay back and listen to Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond after a really stressful day. There's nothing better than that song.

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

For those of you that like 80's era rock/metal, you should try 'The Darkness'. Its an australian band, and sadly the only real piece of theirs that got taken to the states was one that was almost pop, but a lot of their stuff sounds like it was taken right outta 2 decades ago.

As there are far too many to list here, I'll just toss out one. I grew up with this kind of music, and it's always had style.

-It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To
                    Life in Bogota is a lot like a big box of Colombian chocolates. You never know when you'll get blown up by the FARC.

Oh Silas. I was expecting so much more.

As you say, too many to list, but here's a short list

Idiot Wind or Tangled Up In Blue - Bob Dylan
                      The Weight or The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band
                      Benny and the Jets or Rocket Man - Elton John
                      Street Fighting Man or You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones
                      and damn, didn't the Beatles write a few good songs!
                      I Say A Little Prayer - Aretha Franklin or Dionne Warwick (by Burt Bacharat)
                      Mother and Child Reunion, etc. - Paul Simon
                      Beat It or Thriller - Michael Jackson or
                      Don't You Want Me Baby - The Human League

If you want to get off the beaten path a little bit, listen to these albums for great song-writing:

Blue - Joni Mithel
                      Blood on the Tracks or Blonde on Blonde (etc.) - Bob Dylan
                      anything by Leonard Cohen
                      All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
                      Richard Thompson - anything

and while he's not exactly classic, Elliot Smith wrote some terrific songs before he stuck a knife in his chest, Jeff Buckley did the same before he drowned in the Mississippi, just getting started, and Nick Drake was something special, snuffed out by an overdose of an early anti-depressant: take one, feel better, take three, die.

And so on and so forth. When I was a kid I stumbled across some really good finds by reading the liner notes on records and picking up albums that had good musicians playing on them or producers guiding the project. For example, if Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, Adrian, Dale Bozzio, or Daniel Lanios etc. are on the album, it doesn't suck. Pay attention to the musicians and producers on the records you like and look for their stuff elsewhere: odds are these aren't people hurting for work and if they choose to participate on a project, there's a good reason.

Having said that, if you like Pink Floyd, steer clear of Alan Parsons nonetheless. Ugh. :)

Anything Queen. Good lyrics, mixed with great vocals. No one can match Mercury.

Rap shouldn't be compared with traditional music. It's a different form of "music". I'm not saying I'm a massive fan of the art form (except for "The Streets"), but in everything there will be good artist and bad artist. Don't write off rap just because the bad stuff is what's popular.

Back on topic, I will swear by anything Pink Floyd. Their album "Animals" is absolutely amazing (read "Animal Farm" first).

Steppenwolf- Magic Carpet Ride

Especially when it goes along with that Marine Hornet pilot video!

Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Originally posted by ChopStick View Post
                              Rap shouldn't be compared with traditional music. It's a different form of "music". I'm not saying I'm a massive fan of the art form (except for "The Streets"), but in everything there will be good artist and bad artist. Don't write off rap just because the bad stuff is what's popular.
                              I agree. There are some very talented people in that space making interesting music. Like any other form of entertainment, what's popular is often crap.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed