The War (PBS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War (PBS)

For anyone who has not heard or noticed, this latest 14-hour long documentary from producer Ken Burns on World War II started airing this week on PBS (here in America). I watched the first installment last night and found it to be very worthwhile. The website alone has a lot of good interviews and writings.

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

Re: The War (PBS)

Thanks for reminding me. Totally forgot to program my friendly TV robot to grab these shows for me last night. Damn you, Star Wars Family Guy!
    Beatnik

Comment

That Star Wars Family Guy was great too!

I am TiVo'ing the War as we speak and will watch it in its entirety. Might even buy it later.

Ken Burns took a lot of heat from the Hispanic community because he didn't focus enough on them. He subsequently added time just for that racial group.
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

It's a good documentary, but I think there have been so many done on WWII (Victory at Sea, etc.) that's it's hard to add to or differentiate from what's been done. That said, I think Burns has done a good job so far. Plus, it's in HD. I wish they would re-release The Civil War in HD.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
          It's a good documentary, but I think there have been so many done on WWII (Victory at Sea, etc.) that's it's hard to add to or differentiate from what's been done. That said, I think Burns has done a good job so far. Plus, it's in HD. I wish they would re-release The Civil War in HD.

My thoughts exactly Rince...I was ready for a rehash of the same campaigns and stories but have been pleasantly surprised with the first couple of episodes. Ken Burns makes good movies.

Good call Mosely.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I watched the first part. But, anyone know when the rest comes on?

edit: nvm

Comment

The war? Ha, you are not in the know. Just ask the president of Iran... that war never happened. Its as mythical as global warming.
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
              That noob who crashed the chopper.
              That noob who ran over the mine.
              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Yeah does it come on again? I think i was DVR"ing everything else this week with new season of shows

Comment

It should be coming on most nights this week. It's something like 14 hours long, iirc.
                  Beatnik

Comment

I want to watch it, just so happens I've got dvr, and PBSHD.

Comment

I agree, but Burns somewhat makes a disclaimer about this documentary in that it is focused on the soldiers (and only a few specific ones at that) in order to convey their perspectives and those close to them. In fact the documentary only follows soldiers and families from four US towns. So, it goes without saying that this documentary is quite narrow in focus - not just on the US, but on certain soldiers. To that end, I think it does an amazing job.

It's pretty amazing what modern media can do to preserve history like this, using first hand accounts and both moving and still photographs. Doing documentary work like this in the name of preservation is so beneficial to humankind.

I believe PBS is running a new installment of this documentary every night this week. I personally hate it when they do this. I've been DVR'ing these things and it's so much easier when you have a week to digest a program before getting the next one. With 14 hours of HD material, this is taking up about 3/4 of my available space!

Comment

I wonder if something like this could be done for a few AXIS soldiers who fought in the war. I bet there are some personal stories that aren't outright offensive that could be told from the German or Japanese perspective. I don't think anything like that has been done in English yet.
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I've been watching it each night.

:) I love it.
                          Skud

Comment

I wonder if something like this could be done for a few AXIS soldiers who fought in the war. I bet there are some personal stories that aren't outright offensive that could be told from the German or Japanese perspective. I don't think anything like that has been done in English yet.
                            Caveat: I haven't seen it but what about Letter from Iwo Jima?
                            "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                            [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I loved this documentary.
                              |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X