Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

    John Edwards: 'Pretty Soon We’re Not Going to Have a Young African-American Male Population in America.'

    Justice Clarence Thomas (from a WaPo article today): "As a child in the Deep South, I'd grown up fearing the lynch mobs of the Ku Klux Klan; as an adult, I was starting to wonder if I'd been afraid of the wrong white people all along," he writes. "My worst fears had come to pass not in Georgia, but in Washington, D.C., where I was being pursued not by bigots in white robes but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony."

    When I was a kid I thought liberals were more minority-friendly because we focused more on racial issues. As an adult, I find the democratic position on many racial issues patronizing and wrong, and the republican position respectful and more correct. But the popular narrative is persistent: republicans are bigots. Democrats get more cache out of attending a black church shortly before an election than republicans get by nominating black justices to the supreme court, secretary of state, NSA, and so on. It's weird to me.

    Anyway, these two quotes hit the news in the last 24 hours and they seem to speak to this issue.

  • #2
    Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

    Just do a YouTube search for Hillary Clinton if you want to see pandering you're talking about. It's embarrassing to watch.

    Really, I think politicians in general, regardless of party, come off as pandering and contrived when they try to appeal to ANY group that they obviously have had no other affiliation in their life with, other than political support/fundraising. For example, unions, women and minority groups, etc... I'm not saying they don't really care about issues they're not directly involved in, but candidates often sound disingenuous when they try to overdo it trying to sound like they care.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

    - Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

      This justice is more afraid of patronizing idiots than racist rednecks that want him dead? Tough guy.

      For the record: "minorities" are not just limited to racial characteristics. Homosexuals are a minority and Republicans do tend to be pretty bigoted against them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

        Forgive me for taking his words as more authoritative on just about any subject, but certainly racism, than yours.

        How are republicans bigoted against homosexuals? Because they oppose radical change to law and a staggering expansion of the 14th amendment beyond what anyone might imagine the states and federal legislature contemplated when they passed it?

        Two paragraphs, two name-calling. GG dude.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

          Originally posted by leejo View Post
          How are republicans bigoted against homosexuals?
          LOL!! C'mon, man...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

            The way democrats are bigoted against blacks because Bird was in the KKK? Oh wait, they get a free pass on that and aren't judged en masse by his history.

            There are some elements of the evangelical Christian coalition who consider homosexuality anathema, just as there are vast numbers of Methodists and Episcopalians who wish to elect homosexuals as bishops. Do you really wish to paint with she same wide brush that Edwards used when he said black males are about to wind up dead or in jail (when in fact more are in college)?

            There is the narrative and there is the reality. You're a smart guy. Pick one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

              Originally posted by leejo View Post
              How are republicans bigoted against homosexuals? Because they oppose radical change to law and a staggering expansion of the 14th amendment beyond what anyone might imagine the states and federal legislature contemplated when they passed it?
              I don't recall any Democrats fighting to have a Gay Marriage ban written into the Constitution.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                Of course you don't. You probably don't remember the defense of marriage act either, or who signed it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                  This is not about how unnatural homosexuality is or if marriage should be raped and thrown to the wayside to a meaningless status to attempt to justify and make accepted an un natural lifestyle?

                  Thomas is right on the money. It is the Liberals who are the real racists. Black or white, they are the ones who keep minorities down.
                  Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                    Originally posted by leejo View Post
                    The way democrats are bigoted against blacks because Bird was in the KKK? Oh wait, they get a free pass on that and aren't judged en masse by his history.

                    There are some elements of the evangelical Christian coalition who consider homosexuality anathema, just as there are vast numbers of Methodists and Episcopalians who wish to elect homosexuals as bishops. Do you really wish to paint with she same wide brush that Edwards used when he said black males are about to wind up dead or in jail (when in fact more are in college)?

                    There is the narrative and there is the reality. You're a smart guy. Pick one.
                    I'm not talking about political rhetoric or ancient history. I'm talking about current legislation. And while individual politicians might vote in a particular way, it's clear that, under the guise of "family values", Republicans are against homosexuals while Democrats tend to be more supportive.

                    Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                    This is not about how unnatural homosexuality is or if marriage should be raped and thrown to the wayside to a meaningless status to attempt to justify and make accepted an un natural lifestyle?
                    I despise the fact that people use the term "unnatural lifestyle". What is natural? That which occurs in nature? Can you name a single mammal on this Earth that doesn't engage in homosexual sex? (I'm sure there are plenty that haven't been documented, but I want to know if you can name ONE of them...)
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                      Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      it's clear that, under the guise of "family values", Republicans are against homosexuals while Democrats tend to be more supportive.
                      No that's your opinion. It's NOT clear that Democrats have ever done jack for homosexuals, at least not on a national level, though they have certainly used homosexuals to their advantage on that stage. And I don't know that Republicans are "against" homosexuals. Do Democrats hate the military? If you're going to paint the entire party with a broad brush because of a radical special interest group on the one hand, be sure to do the same on the other.

                      Other than whine about republicans, what have democrats done for homosexuals?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                        Originally posted by leejo View Post
                        No that's your opinion. It's NOT clear that Democrats have ever done jack for homosexuals, at least not on a national level, though they have certainly used homosexuals to their advantage on that stage.
                        Of course it's my opinion. And I never said that Democrats have done squat for anyone. But I bet if I really cared about this, that I could find more evidence to defend my position than you could to defend the Republicans!
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                          See, Democrats are the party of "caring". They care more than you on every issue that could possibly be important. But it's not really fair to ask them to actually do anything about your issues. You should just be happy that they care. If you wanted action, you should have been a Republican.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                            Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            Of course it's my opinion. And I never said that Democrats have done squat for anyone. But I bet if I really cared about this, that I could find more evidence to defend my position than you could to defend the Republicans!
                            Uh huh. Well that's a pretty intellectually lazy position. Insult an entire group then can't be bothered to dig up evidence to support your position. Fine.

                            But completely typical. Republicans don't like black people. Republicans hate gays, women, jews, etc. Name a minority Republicans like.

                            And yet, who is most likely to abandon Israel? Why would Bob Geldof say "You'll think I'm off my trolley, but Bush has the most positive approach to Africa since Kennedy' (and contrariwise, say "Clinton was a good guy, but he did f*** all.")

                            Etc. It's a lot easier to hurl a name than to understand a policy difference. That's fine.

                            Have you noticed all the attention Edwards's comments have gotten? The uproar? Of course not. He gets a free pass because he cares. Imagine if an R had said the same thing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Interestin Juxtaposition: Edwards v. Thomas

                              Originally posted by leejo View Post
                              And yet, who is most likely to abandon Israel?
                              Minor point, and then you can get back to the awesomeness of this thread:
                              Israel ≠ Judaism.
                              In game handle: Steel Scion
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X