Fall Getaways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Getaways

I returned from a couple of my favorite fall spots in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The Porcupine Mountains and Pictured Rocks area are some of my favorite places to get away from it all, what are yours?

Photos here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/picture...tml#post808812

Lucky Shot

Re: Fall Getaways

I would like to check this place out sometime. Will you share your ATC session? Airport to fly into, hotel, best hiking, etc.....

Comment

Heh, I didn't save the ATC file of the planned trip.

Very Helpful tour books for Michigan's UP.
      199 Michigan Waterfalls.
      This includes detailed directions as to how to get there.

116 Michigan Lighthouses.
      The same authors have books to specific Great Lakes Lighthouses and again have directions directly to the lights.

It depends on what you want to do, but the Porcupine Mountains is located at the far western end of the UP and is very rural. Your wildlife opportunities are outstanding including Porcupines, White Tail Deer, Lynx, Bobcats(They deny it, I have seen one), Black Bear, several hawks up to the Bald Eagle, and then great fishing (Sturgeon, Salmon, Whitefish, Bass). The Porcupine Mountains also has a history of some mining and sits on Copper, Silver, and Lead although it's not economical to dig them out. The Black River valley to the west contains one of Michigan's wildest rivers and some of the Earth's oldest known rocks.

The middle of the UP includes vast patches of natural scenery, logging interest, mining interests and incredible beauty. L'Anse is an indian reservation near the Huron Mountains which include great areas for fishing, hiking, kayaking and photography. Marquette is known to have moose wander into the downtown area but is also home to great skiing, tons of waterfalls, lots of views of Lake Superior and even has a couple places where you can watch 1000 foot long freighters load and unload.

Munising is home to Pictured Rocks and at this time of year is clogged with photographers. Sandstone cliffs tower above Lake Superior. Conditions on the lake around Pictured Rocks can change quickly, from calm reflecting blue skies to choppy 20 foot waves turning slate gray. There are tour boats you can take to either view the shipwrecks in the area (there are a bunch) or to view the natural sandstone columns along the shore (Miners Castle, Indian Drums, Battleship Row, etc...). There are many picturesque waterfalls in the area and abundant wildlife. The weather can be very unpredictable. Nice 65-70 degree temps this time, 2 years ago it snowed on us during the same time frame (knee deep).

Further East you run into Newberry which is a mecca for snow activities including Snowmobiling and Dogsledding. Tahquamenon Falls is a very underrated waterfall. It's the second largest waterfall (Volume) east of the Mississippi to Niagra and originally became known to the world in Longfellow's Hiawatha. Ernest Hemingway owned a cabin between Tahquamanon and Lake Superior. Lastly most have heard the song of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot. Sou Saint Marie is home of the Sou Locks where you can watch Freighters pass by within the toss of a rock. Lastly, St. Ignace is the connection point to the Lower Peninsula via the Mackinac Bridge. This is a 5 mile wide stretch where Lake Huron and Lake Michigan are connected via the straits.

If you make it, let me know what your looking for and I can get you better info.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post
        Lynx, Bobcats(They deny it, I have seen one),
        What's the difference between a Lynx and a Bobcat?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Sorry my bad, Porcupine mountains is acknowledged to be Lynx country I spotted a Cougar there which the local DNR does not believe to exist there. They had been spotted previously in Wisconsin, but never in Michigan and this park is right next to the border.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Thanx Lucky, I am planning on going early September next year.

Comment

If your looking specifically for Fall Leaves, look more towards the last week of September to the first week of October. Fall tends to move east to west across the UP and from the middle outwards towards the lakes.

Lucky Shot

Comment

The UP is definately a nice place to visit sadly I haven't had much of a chance to go up there in about 6 years but your pictures have me wanting to drive up there this weekend. Sadly I don't think my GF would enjoy driving 10 hours just for the weekend. Maybe I'll make it up there for Deer season this year.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X