Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard Troops Denied Benefits After Longest Deployment Of Iraq War

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=71741

Write or call your congressman and Senators about this. Obscene.

Re: National Guard Troops Denied Benefits After Longest Deployment Of Iraq War

Agreed...seems a bit ridiculous..even for Washington/Govt.
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

This is only the tip of the iceberg.... pretty disgusting considering how much these men and women sacrificed.
      "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

I've got mixed feelings on this.

First of all, you have to draw the lines that separate benefits for reserve, active duty, and deployed servicemen [i]somewhere[i]. The line was drawn and defined quite clearly. These guys were a day shy of qualifying for a benefit. Sucks to be them.

That said, actually planning a deployment to end one day shy of qualifying is a chicken poop thing to do. Taking care of our troops isn't the one time you become "fiscally responsible" when you're buying $600 screwdrivers and $9000 toilet seats. We all know that there has to be a line, but dammit, somebody should have shown some leadership and made sure that their deployment was one day OVER the line.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

We cant afford to pay them and give extra benefits. We're paying private defense contractors 10x as much, so no money to spare!
          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
          That noob who crashed the chopper.
          That noob who ran over the mine.
          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
            dammit, somebody should have shown some leadership and made sure that their deployment was one day OVER the line.
            That's my thinking precisely. The rule is the rule, but the pentagon chicken**** who wrote that order could have just as easily written it for one more day in order to get these guys their benefits, instead of one day less to exclude them from eligibility. That this person's instincts are to write the order for one day less speaks volumes.

There is a fundamental lack of leadership here that needs to be corrected. You don't send men into a combat zone and not look for ways to do right by them. This is chicken****.

Now, having said all of that, I wonder how many would have signed a waiver on that 279th day to get the hell out of dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              Now, having said all of that, I wonder how many would have signed a waiver on that 279th day to get the hell out of dodge.
              I was thinking the same thing. What if their commander actually considered it and the overwhelming opinion of the troops was to screw the benefits and go home ASAP?
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                We cant afford to pay them and give extra benefits. We're paying private defense contractors 10x as much, so no money to spare!
                actually it is more cost effective to have the contractors there then have the State Dept perform the security detail. This came out in the congressional hearings of the Blackwater CEO, it was a very informative hearing. I suggest, if you are interested, trying to get a copy of the tape and watch it.
                "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Plus the contractors don't have to live up to the same restrictive rules as the military.

That aside. Denying them for one day is pure crap. And it is the evil side of the military. The bureaucratic crap that stinks it all up.

If this was a contract worth billions to a private company that day would be overlooked. Hell, the company would probably be given a bonus for being so close to the target.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I believe on the news last night it said they would be paying out the benefits for the 280 days even though they had 279. (Which they should just do 250 and up or something...)

It's a stumble alright....
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                      I believe on the news last night it said they would be paying out the benefits for the 280 days even though they had 279. (Which they should just do 250 and up or something...)

It's a stumble alright....
                      Well if they did it 250 and up, how would the troops who were there 249 days feel? Like Cing said, they've got to draw the line somewhere. Having a policy like that isn't the problem. They problem is they should have been courteous enough to write the orders for 1 day longer.

Also, I believe it was 730 days, not 280.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                        Well if they did it 250 and up, how would the troops who were there 249 days feel? Like Cing said, they've got to draw the line somewhere. Having a policy like that isn't the problem. They problem is they should have been courteous enough to write the orders for 1 day longer.

Also, I believe it was 730 days, not 280.
                        Correct.

My problem is this.

If you are volunteering to defend your country you deserve every benefit your country can afford. It doesn't matter if it is 0 days or 280 or 730. The volunteers have said they will die to ensure the values we hold dear. I have no problem paying those solders college benefits. Or insuring there home loan or any number of other things.

This country is kinda two faced. We say we support the military but really what we end up supporting is the Halliburton's and Lockheed Martins. Not the troops.

We can't afford it?!!! Then why the hell did we invade Iraq if we can't afford it? The war on terrorism is critical to our survival? Then paying college benefits to every volunteer is also critical.

I am not ranting against you Kero. It is against those in power.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I tend to agree with you on this Gringo. This is really against the spirit of that limitation if they were within a couple hours of that benefit. Ironically the group that is being denied benefits is the same one who helped sink John Kerry's presidential bid.

http://patdollard.com/2007/10/06/vid...denied-benefit

Lucky Shot

Comment

I still chuckle whenever I see that photo!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Is there some reason why deployment benefits aren't just directly proportional to the amount of time deployed? That way, there is none of this nasty cut off business.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X