X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurt during call, cop sues victim's family

Since I'm in a bad mood, I thought I'd share this with y'all.. :D

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/266638.html

CASSELBERRY -- (AP) -- A police officer has sued the family of a 1-year-old boy who nearly drowned because she slipped and injured a knee responding to their 911 rescue call.

The young boy, Joey Cosmillo, fell into the family pool in January. He was resuscitated but suffered brain damage and now cannot walk, talk or swallow. He lives in a nursing home and eats and breathes through tubes.

Casselberry police Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn alleges the boy's family left a puddle of water on the floor, causing her fall during the rescue efforts. She broke her knee and missed two months of work.

''The loss we've suffered, and she's seeking money?'' said Richard Cosmillo, 69, the boy's grandfather, who lived in the home with his wife and the boy's mother. ``Of course there's going to be water in the house. He was sopping wet when we brought him in.''

Eichhorn's personnel file includes numerous commendations. The 12-year veteran has worked as a hostage negotiator and prostitution decoy, and even wrestled razors away from a suicidal person.

Eichhorn's attorney, David Heil, said she now has persistent knee pain and will likely develop arthritis. He said city benefits paid by workers' compensation and some disability checks helped with medical bills, but it wasn't enough. The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

''It's a situation where the Cosmillos have caused these problems, brought them on themselves, then tried to play the victim,'' Heil said.

Police Chief John Pavlis said Eichhorn was a good officer, though he urged her not to sue.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Hurt during call, cop sues victim's family

Wow, what?
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

she does her duty....get injured and then is sueing teh family in which she just helped...So thats like me selling some flowers to someone then sueing them because i have replant more
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Don't go off the deep end on all cops while we discuss this post. We have some authoritarian police members on the forum. We don't want to hurt their feelings. They are delicate like flowers made of snow flakes.
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

My attorney has stated in his opinion ~20% of the Dallas police force is corrupt. That was before our new super-hero police chief arrived and one of his first things was to start terminating officers who had a history of corruption and abuse. Unfortunately for him, the union sued to have them reinstated and I'm not sure where they ended up.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....4876f640.html

What is truly sad is all the rest are truly commendable officers doing a dangerous thing for the public good. I always hate to hear that the few crackpots are getting the press and portraying the police as a whole in a negative light. I personally hope there are far more "cleanings" going on to pull the rotten apples from the tree.

Comment

wow, all I can say is wow
            A leader who stays behind, takes it from behind.
            I lead by example.
            -AaronTehSpy

Comment

LOL. That's class. I enjoyed the attorney's justification for the lawsuit.

Comment

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...ness-headlines

More info than the other news story.

Comment

The family of the little boy tried to play the victim? The victim of what?

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                    The family of the little boy tried to play the victim? The victim of what?
                    How dare they!
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

At first, I thought the officer was suing the family for negligence on behalf of the boy. That would warrant a newspaper story. Why does the press keep feeding us this kind of news? Better yet, why do we keep buying it?

The only one I see truly suffering in this story is the boy. While the details of what the family did to protect the boy from falling into the pool isn't published, I'd be willing to bet that it was obviously not enough.

Comment

As a police officer... I find this disgusting and a shame on my profession, unfortunately theres always a few...we have a female cop thats just waiting for a major screw up so she can sue and retire on the taxpayers dime.

oh and switch, you know what you can do with yourself.
                        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Whats really sad is that this incident happened where I live. There are several Casselberry PD officers who live in my apartment complex and they all said this woman is an unmitigated **tch. I think she oughtta be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                            Don't go off the deep end on all cops while we discuss this post. We have some authoritarian police members on the forum. We don't want to hurt their feelings. They are delicate like flowers made of snow flakes.
                            LOL! My feelings could eat your feelings for breakfast!

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
                            My attorney has stated in his opinion ~20% of the Dallas police force is corrupt. That was before our new super-hero police chief arrived and one of his first things was to start terminating officers who had a history of corruption and abuse. Unfortunately for him, the union sued to have them reinstated and I'm not sure where they ended up.
                            I'd say that figure is a bit high. I think the number of DPD officers that are dirty is really small, but the problem is that they have that old school culture that protects their mistakes. Not arresting their own when their pulled over for DWI and the like... In my mind, there's a huge difference between giving a fellow cop a pass on a speeding ticket and giving a fellow cop a pass on a trip to jail. If you want to call that corruption, then, yeah, 20% is probably about right, if not a bit low.
                            Originally posted by Pheoni View Post
                            At first, I thought the officer was suing the family for negligence on behalf of the boy. That would warrant a newspaper story. Why does the press keep feeding us this kind of news? Better yet, why do we keep buying it?

The only one I see truly suffering in this story is the boy. While the details of what the family did to protect the boy from falling into the pool isn't published, I'd be willing to bet that it was obviously not enough.
                            Exactly what I was thinking. I figured the cop was pissed off at the family because they were irresponsible and caused this poor little kid to suffer for the rest of his life, so she sued them because there was no way that her department or the DA would let her charge them criminally.

If it really is like the quoted article states, then, well, she can go to hell...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                              oh and switch, you know what you can do with yourself.
                              LOL! But seriously... that's pretty damn sad. The line of work is not exactly one of the more safer ones. You must assume crap will happen to you at some point and to blame the victim (and his grieving family) is total crap.

()

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X