Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Radiohead

Anyone heard it? Thoughts?

I just grabbed it and will listen to it on my flight this afternoon.

Re: New Radiohead

I'm liking it so far. People are whining about the 160k quality, but it sounds great running off my iPod through my car stereo, and in my Shure E-3c earbuds. It's very layered and technically well done, but it's obvious this is going to be one of those albums I can't make judgement on until I've heard it at least 8 or 10 times.

What I do know is it was definitely worth the $5 I payed for it.
    Beatnik

Comment

How do you think it will sound in first class sipping a vodka tonic while the rest of the plane boards on my way to a long weekend at Horseshoe Bay? :D

Comment

Would it have been worth, say, $7 to you?

If so, you are underpaying, and in the process undermining the purpose of the experiment.

If not, then you got what you paid for. :)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

@leejo: I think it'll sound much better than me listening while driving to work hungover this morning. ;)

@Tempus: I'd have payed more for the full CD, but even at $5, they got at least twice as much as they would've gotten from a $15 CD purchase in a store, so I was happy with that. I don't think their experiment is undermined at all - they were very successful in making people re-think the real value of music/popular art, generating a ton of free press for their album, and still getting paid a lot more per sale than they would have otherwise.

My bands gave away both our EPs for free this year, in a growing trend for smaller bands. Other bigger bands like Madonna, Oasis, and Jamiriquoi have left or are mulling leaving the big labels behind. This should either a)force the hand of big labels to wake up and change their antiquated business model, or b)bankrupt them, as they lose tent pole artists in growing numbers. Either way, artists (and fans!) win. :)
          Beatnik

Comment

Radiohead is still around? Damn, that dream is shattered.

Comment

I think it's great - not really groundbreaking for Radiohead, but still groundbreaking in terms of rock music.

Frankly, if you are a fan of music but hate record companies, you should be buying this simply to cast your vote. This 'name your price' download approach is being watched by everyone in the industry.

Comment

It's not too bad, but I prefer their earlier albums.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Eh, I prefer CD's over downloads any day.

Never been a fan of radiohead, but that doesnt mean I hate them

I DO HOWEVER, have a SERIOUS issue with Radiohead fans claiming that "Rabbit in your headlights" is a Radiohead song! It is most certainly not! It is the band unkle, featuring thom yorke...

Unkle>Radiohead anyway.
                  Skud

Comment

Where did you go to download this? I'm looking at www.inrainbows.com and am not having any success. Perhaps they're being slammed bandwidth-wise?
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Looks like the site is still pretty slammed. This page should get you mostly there (click on the 2nd Pre-Order link). After you pay, you get an email with a .zip download link.

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/index3.htm
                      Beatnik

Comment

I love the fact they fired their label! I hear Nine Inch Nails did the very same thing. I can't stand the giant music labels and how they completely control what becomes "popular." I'm gonna pay for this album for sure, just to support the very ideals it stands for.
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Record producer Steve Albini wrote this great article about the music industry a few years ago. After reading it my naive dreams of the coveted immaculate record contract was smashed. And the loathing began.

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

These bands are using the momentum gained from record company marketing dollars to sell these records. In the future I think the marketing machine will be ticketmaster and the record companies will be corrected or rightsized into .75 cent per CD duplication houses. It's a new day. Hopefully musicians will be smart enough this time not to let big business chop their heads off.

"160k" What where they thinking?

Comment

OK, not a fan of Radiohead, but I threw three pounds their way...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I just had 12 hours in the car and I threw the new album onto my mixed mp3 cd...so far I'm loving "All I Need" and "Weird Fishes".

I'm taking an alternate approach. Listening and then deciding what to pay.
                              If the album was crap they would get nothing, since I'm enjoying it I'll probably pay a couple pounds. I'm thinking so far about one pound per each good tune.
                              Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                              Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X