X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticket brokering = Scalping? Illegal?

Just read through this on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...ets/index.html

Basically ticket brokers bought out most, if not all, of the tickets for this concert tour and are re-selling them for anywhere between several hundred and several thousand more dollars. Isn't this the same thing as scalping, which I thought was illegal?
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Ticket brokering = Scalping? Illegal?

I think the difference is that scalping is generally viewed as the guy who stands outside the rolling stones concert venue selling tickets for 5 grand an hour before mick and the boys go on stage. These guys buy em up the day they come out and then immediately start reselling them. Theres quite a few ways that this process could be overridden. The most complex is the way its already being done, with laws stating how much markup the brokers can put on the tickets for resale. The other is to simply have the ticket sellers themselves limit the tickets to the person who bought them. For anyone who doesnt understand what i'm saying, heres the short version of what it would look like:
    -Buy tickets from ticketmaster, they now require your name for the tickets.
    -Name is printed on tickets and only the person named on the ticket can get in.
    Simple. Make addenda to the rule for promotional tickets for radio stations and contest giveaways and such (which would have something like PROMOTIONAL printed on the tickets) but make sure that the people getting the promotional tickets are respectable and legitimate and hold them under contract not to resell the tickets.

Now, I see where this could snag if you wanted to buy tickets for you and some friends and someone decided not to go and you're stuck with an extra (unusable) ticket. Well, they do name-specific tickets for Halloween Horror Nights here in orlando and it works just fine. If you have someone bail on you, they can call the box office and have a new ticket printed for the person who is going in their place to be picked up at the will-call window. Same thing could go for concerts/etc and wouldnt gum up the works too bad.

I think the fact that these brokers did this to a kids concert is just appalling though. Someone needs to be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
      I think the difference is that scalping is generally viewed as the guy who stands outside the rolling stones concert venue selling tickets for 5 grand an hour before mick and the boys go on stage.

Correct.
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

haha this for a Hannah Montana concert. Thats pretty funny. But i think it is considered scalping anyway. Poor twelve year old girls
        "Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute. Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Comment

Haha. Why poor girls? They get what they want, if the poors saps called parents, get suckered into buying the tickets for them.
          Focused

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X