Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you think you can play tetris?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo[/media]

Even if there is a pattern it is amazing. If there is no pattern?

Wow.
    Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: So you think you can play tetris?

Woah. That's stressful to watch.....

And the end? HOLY SMOKES!!!!
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

OMG AIMBOT!

That was amazing to watch. Especially the end.
      | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
        OMG AIMBOT!

That was amazing to watch. Especially the end.
        Asians. Owning your butt in every game made. Ever.
        I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Daxx speaks the truth. Though to be honest that would be a lot harder if you couldn't save the 5 block straights for Tetris to clear more room. Reminds me of people playing speed chess or speed go blindfolded. You sit there and go "What are they doing" until someone claims victory and they replay everything move by move. -.-
          My sanity is not in question...
          It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Wow, that was insane.
            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I'm almost inclined to cast it as a hoax. I mean your brain would have to be moving so fast. There's no way you could make those calculations in your head even if you're a savant.

I don't care what anyone says, drop all the toothpicks you want, I'm sure someone can count them in 5 seconds or less. But playing invisible tetris at insane speed? No... not even if you're asian.

Comment

I don't know...Asians are kinda wickedly creepy about things like this.
                | | |

Comment

I think he's simply visualizing the board without looking at it, instead watching the "next" indicator for the incoming pieces. That makes the most sense once you transition from fast to invisible. And at that speed it only takes the slightest of hand movements to move the pieces where you want them.

Bizarre.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

They're not just Asians, they're Japanese.:icon_eek: And wow!
                    -F- Darksteel

Comment

FWIW, the left/right hand movements don't match the movement of the blocks - over and over the player presses right and the piece goes left and vica versa....

Comment

Experts and novices.

One of the major differences between experts and novices is the ability to chunk information in working memory. Most cognitive scientists believe that your working memory can hold 7 +/-2 chunks or bits of information. A chunk is a psychological unit of indeterminate and variable size. In other words, you can think of about 7 “things” at once before you become overwhelmed and stuff falls out of your working memory. You can experience the limitations of your working memory by trying to do the following math problem in your head. 1297x2392. Once you have to hold about 7 numbers in working memory, you hit a wall and the stuff starts falling out of memory and you have to start over or simply give up..

Experts do not differ from novices in their working memory capacity, they differ in their ability to chunk information.

Take chess players as an example. Novices can see 1-2 moves ahead, but then become overwhelmed trying to remember all the possibilities. Experts can see sometimes 10-20 moves ahead because they chunk all the pieces together. The psychological unit of the expert is more complex than the psychological unit of the novice.

For tetris, the novice does not see the patterns that the expert does. This shows another way that experts differ from novices. Experts have developed effective heuristics to solve problems while novices rely on algorithms.

Algorithms vs heuristics

An algorithm is a brute force computational approach to solving a problem. Solving tetris using an algorithm is far too hard for the average person.

Notice how the guy in the vid plays, he uses the right of the screen for long blocks to maximize points and to minimize gaps, then he has to worry about 4 blocks each with 4 degrees of freedom. (or 8 depending on if he can mirror not just rotate) fitting into a space that is roughly 15 units wide and 4 units of variable length. Rather than reason his way through each block independently, he uses a rule of thumb, a heuristic. He only has to remember a small set of rules to solve each problem. Rather than consider the dozens of possible places to put a block, he only has to consider 3 or 4. This keeps the workload on his working memory significantly less than if he had to consider all the degrees of freedom.

For example, if you are looking for your keys and you KNOW they are in your house, you can divide up your house into a search grid and look in each cell (an algorithm) or you can look in the pocket of your pants that you were wearing yesterday (heuristic). Heuristics are not perfect (keys are not always in your pants when lost) but they usually are good enough – and they get the job done much quicker with less effort.

So while it appears he is a genius for considering huge amounts of information quickly, he is probably no smarter than your or I. He is just able to group the information you see into much more manageable chunks that he then can use in a heuristic to solve the problem.

The other issue raised in this thread is about Asians and video game playing. Some studies do show that a larger proportion of Asians play video games competitively than Americans. But in both societies, we are talking a small part of the population. Most Asians don’t sit around speed solving tetris.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Um yah how do we know he's asian btw? Let alone Japanese?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                            HIS HANDS!?!?!!11!! DUH :p

Amazing, fake or not, still pretty cool.
                            Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                              It's 2007 and he's playing TETRIS.
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...