Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake FEMA press conference

How has this escaped the sandbox?
    Announced to real press 17 minutes before-hand.
    6 FEMA employees ask their boss 6 questions.
    That's the end of the "press conference."
    Oops.
    OPS, the bacon is on you.

Re: Fake FEMA press conference

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegrea...nce_sca_1.html
    I had no idea what you were talking about... here's a brief summary for those of you on the same page as I was.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

FEMA threw together a quick press conference to talk about the wild fires, well no members of the media could make it on such a quick notice. So they had 6-7 fema employees act like reporters and ask prescripted questions about what FEMA is doing. It was pretty much a tute-your-horn-FEMA deal, telivised and everything. Then they got found out and their boss wasn't happy at all. And had to apologize on TV for the press conference, and then held a real one.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Gotta love FEMA. Imagine what their response will be when a realdisaster strikes us? Y'know, one that wasn't planned months in advance.

Comment

Why imagine, remember that hurricane they're still not done cleaning up after?

What I don't understand is why wasn't someone fired for a clear attempt at duplicity.

I guess they're taking the lead of people higher up. If its ok to lie to us about little things like the war, why not carry it over to little things like states on fire.
          |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
            Why imagine, remember that hurricane they're still not done cleaning up after?
            I suppose you mean Katrina - there were two more before that in Florida that FEMA never finished. Has FEMA yet finished a job (or commitment) it started?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
              I suppose you mean Katrina - there were two more before that in Florida that FEMA never finished. Has FEMA yet finished a job (or commitment) it started?
              I hear they finish press conferences pretty quickly.
              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Zing!
                |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Long Post Alert
                  From the "Just When You Thought You Couldn't Feel Any More Powerless Or Disillusioned" Dept. Have A Nice Day! :row__532:

FEMA's primary responsibility, focus and spending has to do with protecting the US government in the event of major attack or disaster so that the power of the US cannot be nuetralized; it was first formed by Nixon in case of a nuclear strike. The safety of citizens in natural disasters was a responsibility tacked on years later, and remains a secondary concern.

Those who believe FEMA is primarily tasked to help in times of natural disasters are quite mistaken. Certainly there are many who work for FEMA who's agenda is anything but sinister, and they have staff that deal primarily with natural disaster relief, but only a fraction of the agencies' funding and personnel are committed to this purpose. FEMA's primary purpose is to be able to take absolute control during an emergency. They can be given powers to do so that, collectively, would make them the most powerful entity in the nation.

For purposes of keeping attention off of these powers, and the projects that most of their billions of budgetary dollars are committed to, it encourages the public to see them as the natural disaster helper agency, even though this results in a very poor PR image almost every time a disaster occurs.

The reason their disaster response seems so rudimentary, badly-planned and thrown together at the last minute is because it is. Disaster response is the chore they have to perform to continue getting political support for funding and to make the agency seem less scary than it is. In return for a State Government's cooperation, FEMA has built into it a function guaranteed to keep Governors and State fiscal agencies happy. A State of Emergency automatically qualifies the State to receive some portion of a vast fiscal reserve kept by FEMA. This money has accrued for decades, and how much is in there is anyone's guess--it's not a matter of public record; FOIA does not hold jurisdiction. It makes sense that, in the event of nuclear holocaust, there is another, secret treasury available to the remnant government to rebuild, I guess.

Governors will declare a State of Emergency or Natural Disaster whenever they can to open up the FEMA cash cow and bolster a sagging state budget. This also gets everybody in the habit of allowing a significant amount of State Government control to voluntarily submit to Federal control, which could be scary in a worst-case scenario.

The terms State of Emergency, National Disaster and Martial Law are key legal conditions that must be declared for certain FEMA powers to be enabled. Once declared, the state or nation loses major portion of control to FEMA, which becomes the presiding agency that coordinates all federal, city and state services like National Guard, police, EMS, transportation, and even in some cases things like media communications, correctional facilities and banks!

Below are just some of the many powers that can be instantly enabled by the President. The powers granted under a state of Martial Law are truly terrifying in their entirety. Let's all hope we don't live to see the day that this is finally used.

From AboveTopSecret.com

FEMA was created in a series of Executive Orders. A Presidential Executive Order, whether Constitutional or not, becomes law simply by its publication in the Federal Registry. Congress is by-passed. Executive Order Number 12148 created the Federal Emergency Management Agency that is to interface with the Department of Defense for civil defense planning and funding. An "emergency czar" was appointed. FEMA has only spent about 6 percent of its budget on national emergencies, the bulk of their funding has been used for the construction of secret underground facilities to assure continuity of government in case of a major emergency, foreign or domestic. Executive Order Number 12656 appointed the National Security Council as the principal body that should consider emergency powers. This allows the government to increase domestic intelligence and surveillance of U.S. citizens and would restrict the freedom of movement within the United States and grant the government the right to isolate large groups of civilians. The National Guard could be federalized to seal all borders and take control of U.S. air space and all ports of entry.

Here are just a few Executive Orders associated with FEMA that would suspend the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. These Executive Orders have been on record for nearly 30 years and could be enacted by the stroke of a Presidential pen:

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 10990 allows the government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 10995 allows the government to seize and control the communication media.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels and minerals.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 10998 allows the government to seize all means of transportation, including personal cars, trucks or vehicles of any kind and total control over all highways, seaports, and waterways.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 10999 allows the government to take over all food resources and farms.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11001 allows the government to take over all health, education and welfare functions.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11002 designates the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11003 allows the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate communities, build new housing with public funds, designate areas to be abandoned, and establish new locations for populations.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland waterways and public storage facilities.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issued over a fifteen year period.

* EXECUTIVE ORDER 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution, of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit and the flow of money in U.S. financial institution in any undefined national emergency. It also provides that when a state of emergency is declared by the President, Congress cannot review the action for six months. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has broad powers in every aspect of the nation. General Frank Salzedo, chief of FEMA's Civil Security Division stated in a 1983 conference that he saw FEMA's role as a "new frontier in the protection of individual and governmental leaders from assassination, and of civil and military installations from sabotage and/or attack, as well as prevention of dissident groups from gaining access to U.S. opinion, or a global audience in times of crisis." FEMA's powers were consolidated by President Carter to incorporate:

o the National Security Act of 1947, which allows for the strategic relocation of industries, services, government and other essential economic activities, and to rationalize the requirements for manpower, resources and production facilities;

o the 1950 Defense Production Act, which gives the President sweeping powers over all aspects of the economy;

o the Act of August 29, 1916, which authorizes the Secretary of the Army, in time of war, to take possession of any transportation system for transporting troops, material, or any other purpose related to the emergency; and

o the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which enables the President to seize the property of a foreign country or national. These powers were transferred to FEMA in a sweeping consolidation in 1979.

Is that it? No. There are more. Get the idea?
                  :row__531:
                  sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

I didn't post this to the sandbox because really, what can one say about this?

I really want to know the story behind it - who came up with the idea, and what person heard that idea and said 'good idea - let's go with it.' Because you know that they did it on purpose in order to try and duck the press. figuring the fallout was preferrable to what might happen if the press were unleashed on them. Someone crafted giving the press fifteen minutes warning and a conference call line that was muted so the participants could not be heard. That's not a press conference - it just looks and sounds like one.

You know someone is sitting somewhere (maybe in the White House) still thinking that the scheme worked, and how may be improved upon in the future.

Comment

This administration has been all about seeing how blatantly they can disregard laws and protocol and still get away with it. I'd say their experiment has been a brilliant success, much to our misfortune.
                      sigpic

"

| | | | |

Comment

At this point I would like to call upon the old quote: "Never attribute to malice what can suitably be explained by incompetence". Or something like that.

Yes, FEMA screwed up. But they may well not have screwed up intentionally. It could just as easily have been a massive display of incompetence. What if they were going about the process of setting up a perfectly normal press conference, and the guy who was supposed to call out and inform the media was out sick that day and no one noticed? 20 minutes before the press conference is supposed to start, they realize the press havent been informed and start frantically calling them. But by this point its too late and no one can reach them in time. Theyre about to hold a press conference in front of an empty room. (rescheduling the conference is of course against policy, or something.)

So some bright (read: dumb) FEMA employee suggests, "what if we make it LOOK like we had reporters here by having the guys from customer service sit in the back and ask questions?" So out of desperation they hold a staged press conference and try to make it look good.

Does this seem a little out there? Sure. But as little respect as I hold for FEMA's ability to do things right, I just don't think of them as being capable of pulling off something as Sinister as Axis of Eeevil would seem to suggest. Proper evil planning requires...well...the ability to plan competently, which FEMA has never shown.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post

You know someone is sitting somewhere (maybe in the White House) still thinking that the scheme worked, and how may be improved upon in the future.
                          The guy who organized it, John Philbin, already got fired. Chertoff was as plain-spoken as you could want about the ordeal:
                          Originally posted by Chertoff
                          I think it was one of the dumbest and most inappropriate things Ive seen since Ive been in government...I have made unambiguously clear, in Anglo-Saxon prose, that it is not to ever happen again, and there will be appropriate disciplinary action taken against those people who exhibited ... extraordinarily poor judgement.
                          I can understand being outraged about something like this, but Mosely, your last post bothers me. The government action taken since this happened has been exactly what you should want. Swift corrective action, the naming of the person involved, termination of their employment, and an unambiguous admission of wrongdoing with assurances it won't happen again, in writing.

Your post doesn't acknowledge any of that, and then somehow just brings the White House into a conspiracy where there's just not a single reason to think one exists. You make it sound like you don't even know who was involved, when they were quite clear about all of it!

You, who have argued for transparency and accountability in many, many posts around here, should be praising this as the model approach, not pretending like it's part of some grand "scheme."
                          ---
                          Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                            "Never attribute to malice what can suitably be explained by incompetence".
                            [...]
                            So some bright (read: dumb) FEMA employee suggests, "what if we make it LOOK like we had reporters here by having the guys from customer service sit in the back and ask questions?" So out of desperation they hold a staged press conference and try to make it look good.
                            That's where the malice comes in. (Malice is not exactly the right word, more like corruption.)

Comment

Quote: But as little respect as I hold for FEMA's ability to do things right, I just don't think of them as being capable of pulling off something as Sinister as Axis of Eeevil would seem to suggest. Proper evil planning requires...well...the ability to plan competently, which FEMA has never shown.

And I know Eeevil planning, believe me! :D I try to shun it, really.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they were sinisterly trying to do evil. I thought I had said (but I guess I didn't) that they were careless, shoddy, and incompetent at effectively managing an emergency situation to provide maximum benefit and safety to citizens.

FEMA needs to decide what their priority is and then turn over whatever other task is not the priority to a different entity so that whoever is supposed to coordinate help for those impacted by disaster can do it as befits a nation of our social, financial and technological ability. Instead we react like some third world dictatorship, herding people onto buses at gunpoint and dropping them off in the middle of nowhere to live in an interment-like camp for an indefinite amount of time. Or we leave them where they are, keep them at gunpoint, and let all hell break loose while we give scared young National Guardsmen guns, with permission to shoot "looters" when the food and water disappears.That's so wrong it's insane.

I don't know if there's a shadowy cabal who have designed FEMA to be an engine of instant totalitarianism to be unleashed at any moment. I kind of doubt it. What I see is the potential for it to be used as one under pretense of keeping Americans safe from a threat.

I'm glad we have underground facilities to keep the people safe who are keeping things going. They need to be able to coordinate and control everything in the event of a nationwide or worldwide disaster, so that people don't turn on eachother, so that food can be disbursed equally, so that money isn't siphoned into private accounts while chaos rages, all of that. I think they need money--of course! They need, material, plans for every circumstance, the ability to use media to keep communication lines open, etc. This is the government's job. This assumes that everyone in a position of power has an ethical backbone that precludes maximizing self-interest for a few at a cost to the masses. However, it's so easy to abuse and manipulate that responsibility now, and the ethics... well. :(

What I see over time is that the collective good intentions of different people in government create a long and somewhat disjointed picture of what things really are and what they really do. I try not to assume nefarious intent (hard these days), but I take note of potential.

All those good-intentioned actions, combined with the collective little tweaks, loopholes and backdoors some put in to cover their back, make a little extra money, or do someone a favor make an exploitable system for the people who know all the ins and outs.

It only takes a dedicated few in the right places and a lot of careful planning to turn a seemingly benign system into something else. I see FEMA as having the potential to facilitate such a dedicated few in a bid for power and control. It seems clear that, even in a "normal" natural disaster, the system is brimming with potential for chaos, mismanagement and brutality.
                              sigpic

"

| | | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...