• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting things in perspective

Talk about feeling insignificant.

http://www.techdo.com/images/largest-know-star.htm

| |

Re: Putting things in perspective

I remember watching Bill Nye the Science Guy. One show he did was to illustrate just how massive the distances are in space.

I can't remember the EXACT scale, but I remember the distances were massive. He put a golfball in a parking lot and called it a sun, then put the "Earth" a foot away. He then said Pluto would be about a football field away from the Earth, and the nearest star - Alpha Centauri - would be a couple hundred miles away.

Comment

That was pretty cool, and ever hear of the phrase "The brighter the star, the quicker it burns out?" well, that last star, the largest star found so far, it will only last for 1-3 million years before it burns out, while our star will last several billion years. The star VY Canis Majoris is classified as a "Hypergiant", the largest class of stars.

Comment

Insignificant you say?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8zrlOGKI2E[/media]

If youre already feeling insignificant this second one might depress you, some Carl Sagan.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M[/media]

Comment

Wait a minute, isn't the earth the center of the universe? I remember reading something about this once.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
            Wait a minute, isn't the earth the center of the universe? I remember reading something about this once.
            If you wanna get technical about it every point in the universe is the center of the universe but that's another long explanation. ;)

---

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Sagan - the pale blue dot is a wonderful story. It beats out the Bible for me.

Comment

Carl Sagan was quite the pessimist, wasn't he? I'm gonna opt for the bible instead. Much more optimistic. :)

Comment

im sure this has been put up here before.. but here it is again :)

powersof10
                  Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by nuckj View Post
                    Talk about feeling insignificant.

http://www.techdo.com/images/largest-know-star.htm
                    I wish I could get off of this planet so badly.
                    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                      Carl Sagan was quite the pessimist, wasn't he? I'm gonna opt for the bible instead. Much more optimistic. :)
                      Except that when the Bible was written, the only being who had the power to destroy mankind was God. Forgive the oversimplification, but the Bible was/is concerned with mankind's relationship with a merciful God and adhering or honoring his wishes. Knowing what we know today (that it is ourselves who have the power to destroy our world), we must come to terms with the question of whether mankind as a whole is truly merciful. A difficult question to answer positively given our recent history, and, during the cold war, a valid reason for Sagan's pessimism.

One of the main reasons that I admire Sagan is that he attempts to transcend the disciplines of philosophy and astronomy in analyzing such fundamental questions.

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom View Post
                        I wish I could get off of this planet so badly.
                        READY THE COOLAID! COMMENT EN ROUTE!

For those of you who want to guide yourself through your own insignificance:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Think of it as a good earth for all that we know to exist.
                        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                        That noob who crashed the chopper.
                        That noob who ran over the mine.
                        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post

If being realistic about things is being a pessimist then I am guilty as charged.
                          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X