Writers' Guild of America strike.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writers' Guild of America strike.

Info (as much as I hate referencing wikipedia, it's accurate enough)

Also a video about the reasoning

I'm sure most here are affected by the WGA strike that began just a few days ago. Most of my favorite shows are being halted, and who knows for how long. The Office, Daily Show, Colbert Report and the list goes on...

Having said that I must agree with these strikers. Considering how much the big production companies make, these writers are getting the shaft. Let's not forget that their ultimately responsible for what we see on the television set every night.

What are your thoughts? Opinions vary greatly on this so I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Re: Writers' Guild of America strike.

I hope the strike lasts long enough to put all the networks out of business!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I could care less about The Office being cut, I hate that show anyway (ranks right up there with anything that Larry David does or Seinfeld...bleh), but the strike is jacking up my whole TV universe. Heres the short list of shows that are getting the shaft because of the strike that I record on a weekly basis:
      Scrubs
      Heroes
      K-Ville
      Reaper
      Smallville
      Battlestar Galactica (doesnt come out til 08, but theyre getting screwed too)
      Rescue Me
      24 (same deal as BSG)

Yeah, I spend a lot of time watching TV. Why? Cause I have no life due to the fact that I'm a doctoral student and I work 36-48 hours a week in 12 hour shifts. Its funny, the whole strike is because the writers feel theyre getting a bum deal by making 2-3x as much money as the average joe makes a year per season of a show. Maybe these guys oughtta get jobs as teachers or police officers, or firefighters, or any of a hunderd other seriously underpaid and under appreciated jobs. At the same time, I do kinda feel like a hypocrite for bemoaning the strike cause I lose my shows and then turning around and telling them to stick it in the same rant.

Oh well. I can live with that.

Comment

I think writers should be contracted to create shows on a season-by-season basis rather than messing around with percentages. It is a much simpler approach. Bonuses could be factored in based on future sales to allow for writers to cash in on cult hits.

I'm sure it'll never happen this way, but I value simplicity.
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Its funny to watch the actors of these shows "support" the strike, considering they are the reason the writers cant make more money. What is interesting is that the late night shows are doing re-runs, dont comedians write their own stuff?
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

I'm sure if I was making six figures a year, I could afford to go on "strike" as well. I don't have too much sympathy for these guys. Then again, I have even less sympathy for the networks and production companies. Good thing I don't watch a whole lot of TV.

Can you guys tell I'm cynical?
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
              Its funny to watch the actors of these shows "support" the strike, considering they are the reason the writers cant make more money. What is interesting is that the late night shows are doing re-runs, dont comedians write their own stuff?
              Comedians do write their own stuff - when you (used to) see John Stewart do standup it's all his own material. But late night comedy shows have staffs of 20+ writers who write. Coming up with 22 minutes (or 46 minutes) of funny 4-5 times a week is not easy, even for 20-30 talented writers.

It's really a silly argument. The writers are responsible for creating the show, essentially. Maybe not the concept, but definitely everything that makes the show worth watching. The Daily Show was an OK concept (back when it started with Craig Killborn in 97 or 98), but it didn't really take off until around 2000 with the coverage of that election, and the incredible writing it's had since then.

I should think that would entitle the content creators to 2.5% of back end profits...
              Beatnik

Comment

I'm suprised how much disdain we have for rich people here. How do you justify the concept of, "you're already richer than me, so you don't need any more raises"? I should think the writers would have every bit as much claim to a small % of the profits as the producers or actors do.

That said, I don't watch much TV, so the strike doesn't affect me personally much.

Comment

I don't see why writers can't negotiate salary and royalties individually.

Should the writers of "The Simpsons" ten years ago get the same deal as the writers now? There's obviously a difference in quality.

Comment

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristi...7-8c1b64f56a0e

Great stuff here about the strike, for people wanting the info summarized in a video, to funny bits for fans of the office.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy View Post
                      I don't see why writers can't negotiate salary and royalties individually.
                      Because then they wouldn't get any royalties, and it would be extremely difficult or impossible for younger writers to break into the market and get a fair compensation for their work. That's why they have a union - collective bargaining allows them to guarantee a fair pay for their work. It doesn't guarantee that they will continue to be hired, just that there is a basic minimum for providing the service.

There is a glut of potential writers out there, if everyone had to negotiate individually, the studios would just run to the lowest bidder that could still write a passable script. It was the same with teachers, actors, crop pickers, and auto workers for a long time.

I'm not defending the obvious flaws and excesses in any of those guilds or unions, but those are the basic power mechanics in play.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

Living in LA LA Land I personally have friends who work in the entertainment industry and they will quickly become affected if the strike lasts for an extended period of time. If you don't like a steady paycheck than don't start a career in the movie or television industry as the majority of the industry works without any job security.

It's a misnomer to say that the writers striking are rich. Far from it. Certainly many of the top writers do well but I can tell you first hand that the bulk of writers walking are less than rich and don't know where their next job is going to appear. The idea that these folks all have a home in the Hollywood Hills makes for good TV but is far from reality.
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                        - Check me out on The Onion
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                          There is a glut of potential writers out there, if everyone had to negotiate individually, the studios would just run to the lowest bidder that could still write a passable script.
                          What's wrong with that?
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            What's wrong with that?
                            Craptacular quality. More sitcoms, more reality shows, etc.
                            Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              What's wrong with that?
                              TV is almost entirely crap as it is. It would become 100% crap if that happened.

Let's not forget that their ultimately responsible for what we see on the television set every night.
                              Nah, thats up to the networks. They are however directly responsible for the quality of what you watch.
                              I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X