Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AvP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AvP

    Anybody see it? Opinions?

  • #2
    Re: AvP

    saw it lastnight.


    first 10 min u think "wow nice story", then the rest of the movie you see that its exact copy of predator and alien movies.
    The ending especially, its identical to predator 2. Different actors

    There are 2 cool moments where alien gets OWNED by predator quiet nicely :)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: AvP

      Base rate action flick, but no where near the quality of the respective movies. It was kind of like Pitch Black. Throw in some actor with baddies: death commences. Nothing special.

      I would have been much more pleased if the Colonial Marines had been in there to kick butt. I found the humans as nothing but fodder and so was angry at the wasted screen-time building up their characters.

      The movie was very pleasing to the eye. The visuals were top-notch and the action was great, but Sci-Fi is about the story and characters just as much as the action.

      Mild Spoliers:
      1. Who cared about "We have to fight to survive because we have kids. Oh wait, we just died 5 minutes later? That sucks."
      2. The part about the heroine talking about not going because of the danger was stupid. They walked all of a half-mile to the site, and her job was over. I would have sent her packing.
      3. The PG-13 rating killed this movie. Sorry, but the other 5 movies were R: keep with the gore and violence. It was one of the qualities that made them great. Classic lines they can't even use because of the F word and sexual connotations can't be there. It can kill the movie.
      4. Weaver was right. This movie was a mistake.
      5. Exactly where did all these aliens come from if they have a 1 to 1 conversion ratio?
      6. Never before have aliens hatched and grown that fast. It just seemed to be a metaphor for how fast they wanted to get this movie over with.
      7. Lack of suspense: "I'm scared and walking through a dark-hall. (queue 5 seconds) "Argh, I'm dead/infected."
      8. Inconsistancy in Xeno blood effectiveness on Pred weapons/armor. One time melted the hand claw, but not the spear? They obviously have the technology to resist the flourine acid (at least I think that's what it is), why would they send preds with one use weapons of a hand-to-hand nature when fighting these things? It's not honor, it's stupidity.

      Bigger Spoilers:
      1. The inclusion of Bishop and relations to his character in Aliens (the whole knife scene with him and Hudson) was an insult to possibly the greatest Sci-Fi movie ever.
      2. The Preds came out like idiots and wusses. Granted, they may have been low-hunters, but if Xeno's are the "Greatest Prey" they would probably have been blooded hunters. They acted like noobs (for lack of a better term). Without the Plasma-caster they were just to easy to take down (they lost all but one in the first fights with Xenos).
      3. We have records of Gods/dieties from the Mayans, Aztechs, and Egyptions, but no one mentions giant crab faced aliens with starships!?
      4. Danny Glover killed a Rogue and Blooded Hunter by himself and all he got was a flint-lock pistol. She kills a few Xenos with Pred tech and gets a piece of alien technology? Glover has got to be pissed.
      5. They were expecting to use the humans as bait for the aliens, but didn't count on them finding the plasma-casters first? Yea right....

      Honestly: They should have just taken the story to AvP2 for PC, and made a movie out of it. It would have been loads better with humans I actually gave a damn if they died. Everyone was killed/infected to fast for any emotional attachment to even begin to be created. And I knew right off the black chick would be the only surviver. I can't tell you how pissed I was when Hudson died in Aliens, and you can't even BEGIN to know the anger I had when they let Hicks go out with a whimper in Alien 3.

      Unfortunately, VS are almost certainly doomed to never live up to their respective movies. Oh well, I'll buy the DVD just because I'm such a Sci-Fi whore.

      EDIT: AH HA! I knew that Black Actress looked familar. I thought about her being the hemotologist in Blade but the face didn't fit. Then I remembered: she was Blades mother. That had been driving me crazy since last night.

      :::SPOILER::: EDIT 2 (you guys can't get rid of me): The whole part with her using the alien skull as a shield was about the dumbest thing ever. Who was smoking dope the day they wrote that?
      Last edited by TheFeniX; 08-15-2004, 04:24 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: AvP

        lol, some funny spoilers u got there.

        I agree with most of your points, especially about hicks in alien 3.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: AvP

          I saw it, wasn't expecting much of a story (and didn't get much). All I wanted was to see some alien and predator action, and I got some of that, but I would have liked to see some more.

          I went in, not expecting a lot out of it, and as a result I rather enjoyed it. Sure it wasn't an amazing movie, but it was about what I expected.


          I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: AvP

            I knew from the moment they nnounced the director attached ot the project, that it would suck. Paul Anderson f's up every single movie they give him. If you want to kill a franchise, you give it to P.A.
            |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: AvP

              Originally posted by Syn
              I knew from the moment they nnounced the director attached ot the project, that it would suck. Paul Anderson f's up every single movie they give him. If you want to kill a franchise, you give it to P.A.
              The movie didn't actually suck. Just like FF: The Spirits Within didn't suck. Fans of Final Fantasy (in general) hated it, while most non-fans I've talked to thought it was (quote) "Decent."

              If you went into AvP without seeing any of the Aliens or Predator movies: it would make for a solid modern action flick. Low character developement, good action, visual glitter. Compared to the best in the series: it just sucked.

              I actually enjoyed this movie, but I'm a nit-picking bastard and I felt with some more developement, it could have been awsome.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: AvP

                It was better than I expected, but my expectations were pretty low after I saw PA's interview where he started going on about how big a fan he was of both series. If I didn't work in a theater, I probably wouldn't have seen it. As it stands, I'd wait for this one to go to video if you think you'd like to see it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: AvP

                  you give this movie over to james cameron, and it will be awesome.

                  I read somewhere on the net, on one of the sites that reviews movies, cant recall the site, but there it said that cameron might go for another alien movie, with corpral hicks being part of the story .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: AvP

                    Originally posted by TheFeniX
                    Base rate action flick, but no where near the quality of the respective movies. It was kind of like Pitch Black. Throw in some actor with baddies: death commences. Nothing special.

                    I would have been much more pleased if the Colonial Marines had been in there to kick butt. I found the humans as nothing but fodder and so was angry at the wasted screen-time building up their characters.

                    The movie was very pleasing to the eye. The visuals were top-notch and the action was great, but Sci-Fi is about the story and characters just as much as the action.

                    Mild Spoliers:
                    1. Who cared about "We have to fight to survive because we have kids. Oh wait, we just died 5 minutes later? That sucks."
                    2. The part about the heroine talking about not going because of the danger was stupid. They walked all of a half-mile to the site, and her job was over. I would have sent her packing.
                    3. The PG-13 rating killed this movie. Sorry, but the other 5 movies were R: keep with the gore and violence. It was one of the qualities that made them great. Classic lines they can't even use because of the F word and sexual connotations can't be there. It can kill the movie.
                    4. Weaver was right. This movie was a mistake.
                    5. Exactly where did all these aliens come from if they have a 1 to 1 conversion ratio?
                    6. Never before have aliens hatched and grown that fast. It just seemed to be a metaphor for how fast they wanted to get this movie over with.
                    7. Lack of suspense: "I'm scared and walking through a dark-hall. (queue 5 seconds) "Argh, I'm dead/infected."
                    8. Inconsistancy in Xeno blood effectiveness on Pred weapons/armor. One time melted the hand claw, but not the spear? They obviously have the technology to resist the flourine acid (at least I think that's what it is), why would they send preds with one use weapons of a hand-to-hand nature when fighting these things? It's not honor, it's stupidity.

                    Bigger Spoilers:
                    1. The inclusion of Bishop and relations to his character in Aliens (the whole knife scene with him and Hudson) was an insult to possibly the greatest Sci-Fi movie ever.
                    2. The Preds came out like idiots and wusses. Granted, they may have been low-hunters, but if Xeno's are the "Greatest Prey" they would probably have been blooded hunters. They acted like noobs (for lack of a better term). Without the Plasma-caster they were just to easy to take down (they lost all but one in the first fights with Xenos).
                    3. We have records of Gods/dieties from the Mayans, Aztechs, and Egyptions, but no one mentions giant crab faced aliens with starships!?
                    4. Danny Glover killed a Rogue and Blooded Hunter by himself and all he got was a flint-lock pistol. She kills a few Xenos with Pred tech and gets a piece of alien technology? Glover has got to be pissed.
                    5. They were expecting to use the humans as bait for the aliens, but didn't count on them finding the plasma-casters first? Yea right....

                    Honestly: They should have just taken the story to AvP2 for PC, and made a movie out of it. It would have been loads better with humans I actually gave a damn if they died. Everyone was killed/infected to fast for any emotional attachment to even begin to be created. And I knew right off the black chick would be the only surviver. I can't tell you how pissed I was when Hudson died in Aliens, and you can't even BEGIN to know the anger I had when they let Hicks go out with a whimper in Alien 3.

                    Unfortunately, VS are almost certainly doomed to never live up to their respective movies. Oh well, I'll buy the DVD just because I'm such a Sci-Fi whore.

                    EDIT: AH HA! I knew that Black Actress looked familar. I thought about her being the hemotologist in Blade but the face didn't fit. Then I remembered: she was Blades mother. That had been driving me crazy since last night.

                    :::SPOILER::: EDIT 2 (you guys can't get rid of me): The whole part with her using the alien skull as a shield was about the dumbest thing ever. Who was smoking dope the day they wrote that?

                    Well thank you! :) I'm so glad I read this - I'm not gonna bother with the film. Just the bit about the rating was enough to put me off. Frikkin movies being dumbed down for damn kiddies so they can make more money from it - *******s. Everything you said has put me off for life. If they can't even keep consistent, then it's just a movie to make money at the expense of the whole story. Well I'll keep my cash for something else though I didn't really expect anything from this film.
                    Jex.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: AvP

                      Originally posted by Turbinator
                      lol, some funny spoilers u got there.

                      I agree with most of your points, especially about hicks in alien 3.
                      "I'm Hudson sir, he's Hicks."
                      Jex.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: AvP

                        ..............heh

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: AvP

                          I agree with most of your points and still ended up liking the movie. It could have been done better, but it was a good sci-fi action film.

                          Originally posted by TheFeniX
                          Mild Spoilers:
                          1. Who cared about "We have to fight to survive because we have kids. Oh wait, we just died 5 minutes later? That sucks."
                          Agreed. I definitely was disappointed to see them killing off most of the characters in like 15 minutes.

                          2. The part about the heroine talking about not going because of the danger was stupid. They walked all of a half-mile to the site, and her job was over. I would have sent her packing.
                          Not sure I totally agree with this one. They were her responsibility and she didn't want to take them in such haste because she was confident they would die. Someone simply changed her mind. She did comment that she does not leave her team and wouldn't just sit around waiting for them.

                          4. Weaver was right. This movie was a mistake.
                          I can't agree with that one.

                          5. Exactly where did all these aliens come from if they have a 1 to 1 conversion ratio?
                          Was wondering that myself. I can only think of 6 hosts.

                          6. Never before have aliens hatched and grown that fast. It just seemed to be a metaphor for how fast they wanted to get this movie over with.
                          Agreed. And to expand on that, why did it take so long for the pred burster to make an appearance? We can presume he got hit by the face hugger when his helmet was off. All the other face huggers turned to chest bursters and burst in the span of like 3 minutes. The girls was like 30 seconds.

                          2. The Preds came out like idiots and wusses. Granted, they may have been low-hunters, but if Xeno's are the "Greatest Prey" they would probably have been blooded hunters. They acted like noobs (for lack of a better term). Without the Plasma-caster they were just to easy to take down (they lost all but one in the first fights with Xenos).
                          Not so sure I agree here. If you've ever played the game, the Predator is not adept at taking out aliens at all, without is plasmacaster. Aliens are just down-right bad. It makes it even worse when wounding them exposes acid.

                          3. We have records of Gods/deities from the Mayans, Aztecs, and Egyptians, but no one mentions giant crab faced aliens with star ships!?
                          That civilization was destroyed and the pyramid was lost?

                          4. Danny Glover killed a Rogue and Blooded Hunter by himself and all he got was a flint-lock pistol. She kills a few Xenos with Pred tech and gets a piece of alien technology? Glover has got to be pissed.
                          No doubt.. but Danny should have been pissed from the get go. Not because she got a cool-ass spear.

                          5. They were expecting to use the humans as bait for the aliens, but didn't count on them finding the plasma-casters first? Yea right....
                          This didn't really bother me. The Preds appear to be a pretty arrogant lot.

                          Honestly: They should have just taken the story to AvP2 for PC, and made a movie out of it. It would have been loads better with humans I actually gave a damn if they died. Everyone was killed/infected to fast for any emotional attachment to even begin to be created.
                          Agree. The storyline to the game was sweet and would have made an incredible movie.

                          :::SPOILER::: EDIT 2 (you guys can't get rid of me): The whole part with her using the alien skull as a shield was about the dumbest thing ever. Who was smoking dope the day they wrote that?
                          Yeah. That was cheesy. I'm surprised nobody yet has mentioned, WHY WASN"T SHE FREEZING TO DEATH?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: AvP

                            true, it was after all the north pole.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: AvP

                              Originally posted by Fait_Maker
                              Not sure I totally agree with this one. They were her responsibility and she didn't want to take them in such haste because she was confident they would die. Someone simply changed her mind. She did comment that she does not leave her team and wouldn't just sit around waiting for them.
                              Had they been going on an extended trek up mount Everest, it would have made sense. Walking across some snow with millions in survival equipment and her complaining makes no sense.
                              Not so sure I agree here. If you've ever played the game, the Predator is not adept at taking out aliens at all, without is plasmacaster. Aliens are just down-right bad. It makes it even worse when wounding them exposes acid.
                              Game Mechanics are hard to use as a debate tool when I can use the pred heal ability to stab myself 50 times a level and the Xeno acid does one "tick" of damage. The predators put themselves in a bad position they never should have. Although I will grant that killing xenos without the plasma-caster was harder than usual.

                              Being outmatched is not the same as being outsmarted. In Aliens, the xenos were outmatched by the marine weapons, but out-smarted them through stealth and numbers. The preds gave up every advantage they had by putting themselves out in the open when attacking the humans, then got owned by aliens lying in wait.

                              That civilization was destroyed and the pyramid was lost?
                              Many Civilizations have been destroyed, but records and "word of mouth" has assured historical information was passed on. There were supposed to be many temples right? All but this last one was destroyed? (At least this is what I gathered, although my buddy Dan was running his mouth so I may be mistaken). People would remember these things.

                              This didn't really bother me. The Preds appear to be a pretty arrogant lot.
                              There's a difference between arrogance and stupidity.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X