Olympic Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Games

I didn't even know it existed but we got a silver in Syncronised Diving wooooo! We don't expect to get many more medals though. The gold in the women's marathon, possibly a boxing medal from 17 year old Kahn, and a chance at a sailing medal. I doubt we will get any track and field medals though, all our great athletes have retired.

I also saw "Team USA" get beat at basketball yesterday, that must have been a suprise for you guys. Are you expecting many golds?
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Re: Olympic Games

Originally posted by Wintermute
    I also saw "Team USA" get beat at basketball yesterday, that must have been a suprise for you guys. Are you expecting many golds?
    We should still get a few golds... Our little ladies are going to kick butt in gymnastics again. Michael Phelps was going to try to break Mark Spitz's record 7 gold medals, but the US only got bronze in the 400m freestyle relay. Our softball, beach volleyball and rowing teams are going to contend. Venus Williams, of course, has a good shot at some shiny metal...

As for the American basketball team, I'm not disappointed to see that particular group of "athletes" lose...

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
      As for the American basketball team, I'm not disappointed to see that particular group of "athletes" lose...
      Some points about the US Basketball team

1) They weren't the best athletes of the US. They were the ones who volunteered to participate in the Olympics. The only one that could be considered best would be Duncan.

2) They trained together for a total of 2-3 weeks, not years like any other Olympian team

3) For the US basketball players, the NBA was their main concern, not a gold medal at the Olympics.

US basketball is on the decline and it will be harder for the US to win...not because other teams are better than the US, just the fact that the top US basketball players don't put the same effort and time in the Olympics as they do in the NBA.

Comment

That's really sad to hear about the NBA players. It's the Olympics! It happens every four years compared to the NBA finals that happens every year. Are these players that have already gone and won gold? There must be some good players that haven't been to the Olympics. At the very least I would think they would go to represent their country.

I've got my eyes on the May/Walsh team. They are queens of the beach!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
          That's really sad to hear about the NBA players. It's the Olympics! It happens every four years compared to the NBA finals that happens every year. Are these players that have already gone and won gold? There must be some good players that haven't been to the Olympics. At the very least I would think they would go to represent their country.
          In a way, they are representing their country, but no matter how good you may be as a player, you can't be a good team if you only spend 2-3 weeks playing together.

It would be better if one NBA team was selected to represent the United States in the Olympics. They may not be the best players in the NBA but they are a good team with some talented people on it that have played together for quite some time.

Comment

I say we quit sending those overpaid crybabies and go back to sending our college boys to whoop on the rest of the world... The problem with the US basketball team is NOT that they only train together for a few weeks. The problem is that their egos get in the way of having good training for a few weeks.

When sportsmanship returns to pro basketball, I'll cheer our team again. Until then, I hope that these wannabe gangsta thugs lose every time...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I was watching it yesterday. I've watched it a total of two times and each time I've managed to get the vault/rings/horse events going on. They were going on about the russians and how they used to dominate this part of the olympics. However, as from yesterday it was ukraine? Japan, USA and china close behind - anyone know who won?. I didn't see the end but russia were nowhere near. I guess lack of funding for training really does make a difference.
              Jex.

Comment

The men's team gymnastics was won by the Japanese. USA took silver and I can't remember who got bronze. Romainia had a decent chance but they made some mistakes on the vault and one guy fell off the high bar event. The results should be somewhere on http://www.athens2004.com.

I was watching the men's synchronized 3m springboard diving and whoa. The Chinese screwed up on the final dive and lost gold. One of the divers lost control of dive and landed badly for a disqualification. Then the Russians screwed up after getting a good chance when a diver grazed his feet on the diving board during a spin. Those Greeks were overjoyed when they won the gold.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

If you are refering to the men's team gymnastics, from my fuzzy memory of last night, Japan won(very very strongly in my opinion), USA 2nd, and Romania slipped to 3rd, and China was not a contender. We did poorly on the rings(didn't complete the routine) and so-so on the vault(almost fell off the landing mat), Romania didn't do well at all on the high bar(one fell off), Japan made no mistakes and did excellent on the high bar. They were saying the last time we won a medal in that event was '84, and '84 was a boycotted olympics, and the last time we won a medal in this event in a fully attended olympics was like '32??? So, good going to those guys!

edit: doh. took to long to reply.

Comment

We saw that last night. It was stunning to see such errors.

Wow. Good for the Greeks though.
                    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

When sportsmanship returns to pro basketball, I'll cheer our team again. Until then, I hope that these wannabe gangsta thugs lose every time...
                      YES! I could care less about the NBA any more and calling our current olympic team the "Dream team" as some news outlets have been is just insulting to the real dream team from 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by CingluarDuality
                        Originally posted by wickerman
                        YES! I could care less about the NBA any more and calling our current olympic team the "Dream team" as some news outlets have been is just insulting to the real dream team from 1992.
                        All I am going to say is that any true American would be honored to have an oportunity to compete in the Olympics and those people who have the nerve to decline.... Absolutely pathetic. I can understand if theres reasons beyond "I could play a basketball game for a million dollars, or for none, I'll take the money, even though I'm already a millionaire"
                        RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I fully understand NBA players not competing.

Armstrong isn't competing in the cycling for understandable reasons. He only cares about one race, and anything else he tried to win would reduce his chances in it. Many other pro cyclists don't compete at the olympics. The road race medals were won by domestiques (sp?) and Ulrich is the only contender for the time trial (going on as I type) even though there are several riders who have beaten him before in time trials elsewhere.

I don't think GBR is even entering a football team despite it being the national sport and full time obsession for us. Why bother? The gold medal was won by Greece more than a month ago.

We are kicking ass in the mixed doubles badminton though :)
                          Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Armstrong had just finished the Tour de France around 3 weeks ago.

There really havent been any NBA games for two months.

Okay maybe they've just not had enough practice time or whatnot, either way, I'd personally rather be known for supporting my country in the olympics than supporting my boss who gives me my 7 or 8 figure income.

"Why Bother?" is a phrase that I highly doubt passed through ANY of those people who walked through the stadium in the opening ceremonies. They bother because this is the one thing they excel at. People have dreams of bringing Olympic gold Silver or Bronze home, apparently thats not a dream those NBA players have, they have no desire to support this country. It's not even the thought that you wont do well, its the fact that you try.
                            RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
                              Armstrong had just finished the Tour de France around 3 weeks ago.

There really havent been any NBA games for two months.

Okay maybe they've just not had enough practice time or whatnot, either way, I'd personally rather be known for supporting my country in the olympics than supporting my boss who gives me my 7 or 8 figure income.

"Why Bother?" is a phrase that I highly doubt passed through ANY of those people who walked through the stadium in the opening ceremonies. They bother because this is the one thing they excel at. People have dreams of bringing Olympic gold Silver or Bronze home, apparently thats not a dream those NBA players have, they have no desire to support this country. It's not even the thought that you wont do well, its the fact that you try.
                              Yeah but would you be willing to risk your career in a professional sport that earns you a lot of money just to earn a gold medal?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X