Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much is Your Right to Vote Worth?

(from /. this morning)

"Two thirds of the students at NYU would give up their right to vote in the next election for a full scholarship. Some would be satisfied with an ipod. A few would be willing to give up the right for the rest of their lives for one million dollars."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6892.html

So what's it worth to you?

Re: How Much is Your Right to Vote Worth?

Depends, does this include all forms of voting or a specific one like city or provincial or federal?

Comment

My answer: My right to vote has a value greater than anything you could ever offer me.

Our (I'm speaking American POV) right to vote is a right that is protected and guaranteed under the Constitution. It is a right that cannot be abridged or taken away from us, for the moment that fundamental right is taken away so too is the very foundation of a democracy.

I've voted in every election since I turned 18 and am looking forward to voting in the upcoming state and federal election this next November. I might add that the local mayoral race I voted in wound up being decided by nine votes. Pretty small margin.

"Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
        Depends, does this include all forms of voting or a specific one like city or provincial or federal?
        Assume it's your right to vote in all elections. No vote for you!

Comment

I'd sure give up my vote in the next presidential election for an ipod touch.

Comment

I'd give up my vote in presidential elections, for however long I live in Demachusetts, for 50 bucks.

Comment

I would sell my right to vote, I always vote for the NDP (which would be the equivalently to a Third Party candidate in America) and they never get more than 25% of the vote. So it's not like my vote did anything but give the NDP an extra seat.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                I'd give up my vote in presidential elections, for however long I live in Demachusetts, for 50 bucks.

Hmm... Bill Weld, Paul Cellucci, Jane Swift (lol), Mitt Romney.... It's only a matter of time... :icon26:
                "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Funny how people think their vote really matters in what amounts to a perverted Federalist government we currently have in America.

There is no Democracy here. Did you guys pay attention in Civics?

In the end... it's just a "right" and not a "choice." And I'd gladly trade my "right" for a much improved form of government and even more-so, a much improved way of life.

That being said; I'd trade my vote for say an early release of KOTOR: Online or STO :)

Comment

At least 2 million dollars.

Srsly.

Just an iPod?

Hell, what does it matter, 98% of those kids aren't gonna vote regardless.
                    Skud

Comment

Havent we already given up our right to vote when we didn't have a massive federal investigation with civilian oversight into the voter tampering and fraud that permeated our last two elections? Has anyone heard any 'results' since authorities first started looking into it? I've read depositions from employees of companies in florida who said they were explicitly ordered to create software for voting machines that could be tampered with undetected in order to influence the results. I've seen no heads roll despite these admissions. We've already given away our right to vote.
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                      That noob who crashed the chopper.
                      That noob who ran over the mine.
                      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

And I didn't even get my Ipod Touch. :'(

Comment

I could use an 8 year scholarship for college and graduate school.

Comment

With enough money, you've got more power than a single vote could ever afford you. I'd stay away from polls forever for the right price.
                            [volun2]
                            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Depends on whether or not Ron Paul wins the Republican primaries :)

I can't imagine how awful a Rudy vs. Hilary election would be.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X