Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some paranormal news. 1 in 3 believe in ghosts and requests for further UFO study.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some paranormal news. 1 in 3 believe in ghosts and requests for further UFO study.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle3157771.ece

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayof....ap/index.html
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Some paranormal news. 1 in 3 believe in ghosts and requests for further UFO study

I believe in ghosts. I'm lucky enough to have never actually seen one though -- and I say "lucky" because I tend to believe ghosts/spirits/etc are much more likely to be malevolent than kind.

I find it interesting that they report that people who don't attend religious services are more likely to have seen ghosts. That more or less fits in with my pre-existing beliefs about spirits.

Comment

Re: Some paranormal news. 1 in 3 believe in ghosts and requests for further UFO study

I like to pretend I believe in ghosts. Kinda makes life interesting. Plus it allows me to enjoy the show "Ghost Hunters".

But I can't actually say I believe in them.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Not only do I believe in ghosts, but I hunt them for sport.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
          Not only do I believe in ghosts, but I hunt them for sport.
          awesome, now i know who to call!

Comment

What good reasons could one have for believing in ghosts?

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
              It's an arrogant position either way if one hasn't had a first hand encounter.

Comment

If god exist I figured everything else does too, I've never seen ghosts either. I've seen some weird stuff in my life though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                  It's an arrogant position either way if one hasn't had a first hand encounter.
                  Which position is an arrogant position? You shouldn't use an anaphor without making clear what the antecedent is.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                    If god exist I figured everything else does too, I've never seen ghosts either. I've seen some weird stuff in my life though.
                    "If god exists, then everything else does too" can't be a good reason to believe in ghosts. The consequent of this conditional is ambiguous, but that doesn't really matter. There is no reading of it, which is nontrivial and plausible. On one hand, 'everything exists' could mean "everything that exists exists," which is trivial and doesn't imply that ghosts exist even if god does exist. Of course everything that exists exists. It doesn't tell us whether ghosts exist or not. A conditional with a trivially true consequent is trivially true no matter what the truth value of the antecedent is. So we needn't even bother ourselves with the question of whether god exists or not.

On the other hand, 'everything exists' could mean "every thing that possibly exists exists," which is nontrivial but false: unicorns don't exist; your possible siamese twin doesn't exist; there are no perfect cubes on my desk. I suppose this would, if it were true, be a reason to believe in ghosts, since ghosts possibly (?) exist. But it is false. Thus, that god exists does not imply that ghosts exist. If a conditional has a false consequent, then the only way for it to be true is if the antecedent were also false. But that is not a case that we're interested in. We want a reading where both the antecedent and consequent are true and where the consequent implies that ghosts exist. There are a couple more ways to read the consequent, but none of them are plausible. So, this can't be a good reason to believe in ghosts.

I don't think instances of supposed visual sightings of ghosts counts as much evidence that ghosts exist. Instances of visual sightings of magic tricks does not count as evidence that magic works.
                    Last edited by sordavie; 11-26-2007, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                      Plus it allows me to enjoy the show "Ghost Hunters".
                      Isn't that the show where they inevitably gather in some dark room under the green glow of night-vision cameras and one person goes, "Oh my God, something just touched me!" and they all start screaming and the camera goes all herky-jerky? :P

Comment

I believe in ghosts, but as something that is within a person, not in the world out there.

Ghosts always have "unfinished business" , something to tell the survivors etc. I believe these are things we cannot forget, or repressed memories, that come back to us through hallucinations in very suggestive situations.

In a way everyone that dies becomes a ghost in our minds. It is and always has been a perfect metaphor for the way we remember things. Nearly all cultures seem to deal with spirits or ghosts from their ancestors, no one ever saw a ghost from the future.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                          There is not one good reason unless you count "hope". Hope that death is not really the absolute end to it all.

So you can put ghosts right up there with Santa Clause.

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                          Isn't that the show where they inevitably gather in some dark room under the green glow of night-vision cameras and one person goes, "Oh my God, something just touched me!" and they all start screaming and the camera goes all herky-jerky? :P
                          Probably.

It is the one where the two main guys try to be all scientific. But they are just so bad. But that is what makes it so good! They say things like "orb activity" with a straight face and get excited when electromagnetic fields fluctuate. Come on, they have a demonologist on their team! That is simply great TV!
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
                            Nah, that's just pr0n. Or the Pat Roberston show.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I believe in ghosts because I've seen them in movies.
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X