Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spanking to be made illegal in Massachusetts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanking to be made illegal in Massachusetts?

<sigh> So my wife just yelled in that she heard on the news that spanking is likely to be made illegal in Massachusetts. Why am I not surprised by this ... man this state is insane! What's the parent of a 4yr and 1yr old boys to do? :row__735:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3921895

Re: Spanking to be made illegal in Massachusetts?

Wow that's stupid. I hope this doesn't catch on.
    | | |

Comment

Yes, I'm really not sure how legislators can honestly think this is a good move...
      "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
      -- Red Forman

Comment

How can they enforce this with any kind of Constancy?

A law you can't enforce is a useless law.

I never spanked my daughter. So when my son came along I thought I knew it all and spanking never entered my mind, until he hit 2 years old. I have tried everything to get the boy to listen. What works is a quick swat and he listens real good. Doesn't even have to hurt. I don't know why but some kids need a physical notice of some sort.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Especially boys, Gringo. My daughter was the same way...then along came the boys. My hand has never been so busy!
          | | |

Comment

For more fun, dumb laws: http://www.dumblaws.com/

My favorite from the great state of arizona is that we are not allowed to have more than two dildos in a house at one time. I am SO screwed.

Comment

I remember I was spanked with a BELT once. My mom and dad barely touched me with it... sort of just let it gravity fall on me... That was for leaving school with a friend in 3rd grade without letting anyone know where I went...

It was the fact more than the pain that did it. I never did that mistake again.
              "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
              Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
              " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Wow, forget the kids guys, how are men supposed to keep it mildly kinky with their wives without going into the uncomfortable-must-have-a-safe-word zone if theres no spanking?

It's a sick sad world man.

Comment

Spanking 1 year olds won't accomplish anything. They live very much in the present and don't understand that hitting them is a consequence of a behavior they had. In addition:
                  Effectiveness Of Spanking

While spanking may relieve a parent's frustration and stop misbehavior briefly, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (1995), researchers suggest that spanking may be the least effective discipline method. To test this hypothesis, researchers surveyed parents, with the assumption that if spanking worked, children who were spanked would learn to behave better over time so that they would need punishing less frequently (Leach, 1996). However, the results showed that families who start spanking before their children are a year old are just as likely to spank their 4-year-old children as often as families who do not start spanking until later. Thus, children appear not to be learning the lessons parents are trying to teach by spanking.

Spanking may be ineffective because it does not teach an alternative behavior (American Academy of Pediatrics, 1995). In fact, children usually feel resentful, humiliated, and helpless after being spanked (Samalin & Whitney, 1995). The primary lesson they learn appears to be that they should try harder not to get caught.

Spanking also sends the wrong message to children (Samalin & Whitney, 1995). Spanking communicates that hitting is an acceptable way to solve problems, and that it is all right for a big person to strike a smaller one. In addition, when children are spanked, they may know that they have done something wrong, but in many cases, they are too young to understand the lesson. It is a very difficult message for any adult or child to understand: "I hurt you because I don't want you hurt."

Finally, when spanking is the primary discipline method used, it may have some potentially harmful long-term effects such as increasing the chances of misbehavior, aggression, violent or criminal behavior; impaired learning; and depression (Straus, 1995).
                  And Santa - how can you get "so screwed" by more than even one dildo?

Comment

So does this mean the lawmakers are going to come to your house and tell you how to parent?

Awesome. Why can't they get their heads out of their asses and focus on something more important than whether or not little Johnny is getting his bottom tanned for skipping out of school?
                    playing off the TG server feels like we're playing 2142 on easy mode~Fehmart

I'm going to close my eyes until it's over~Experiment, commenting on my driving

"Get it up quickly and beat it hard."~Jonan
                    I don't get a bonus DVD? My life has lost all meaning.~Zoopy_T

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                      My favorite from the great state of arizona is that we are not allowed to have more than two dildos in a house at one time. I am SO screwed.
                      How would you go about accommodating more than two at once?
                      I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Blah, blah, blah.

Who gives a ****? Discipline your child how you see fit, so long as it isn't needlessly cruel. Lawmakers with too much time.

Comment

Originally posted by IMI-50AE View Post
                          So does this mean the lawmakers are going to come to your house and tell you how to parent?

Awesome. Why can't they get their heads out of their asses and focus on something more important than whether or not little Johnny is getting his bottom tanned for skipping out of school?
                          The laws are for children below school age. And it is already illegal to kill your child, so they are already in your house.
                          But you're right - at some point you have to trust people to do what's right. Otherwise we end up in some 1984 sexcrime scenario.

Comment

Spanking your children isn't wrong...abusing them is. We have laws that protect children from abuse. We don't need laws governing how we, as parents, will raise and discipline our children.
                            | | |

Comment

I have mixed feelings about spanking. On one hand, I can see the value of a light tap to drive home a point. On the other hand, my Dad would often take it further than that, especially if he had a bad day. If I really pissed him off, a spanking became an ass whooping. He was still just hitting me on the butt but there is something a bit extreme about a 200+ pound adult wailing on a little kid's butt with all of his might.

Anyhow, in my experience, spanking was much more destructive than constructive.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X