Video Games Make Bad People!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Games Make Bad People!

Man, I friggin' love how researches can come up with this crap. Sure, its based on truth, but if a kid's in that state, then there's probably more than just a violent video game affecting them.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35041/118/

Full article: http://www.jahonline.org/article/PII...elect1=no&vol=

Like the comment on toms, it really is up to parents to keep watch over their children.

I'm 20, seen/played some really gorey/nasty stuff, and have to say, I don't really like much of it. Sure, I can stomach it, it adds to things sometimes, but when its over the top just to be over the top (manhunt), then you have a problem.
    Last edited by Anospa; 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM.

Re: Video Games Make Bad People!

I love violent video games and love violent movies and listen to extremely violent music. I not aggressive or angry at all. The more violent gory of these three things the better.

I always believe that kids (12-18ish) get aggressive from violent media due to the lack of role models or sound parenting.

PS: Anospa is a wuss.

Comment

Yep, I'm a wuss because I don't like needless violence.

I love shooters, they're pretty much the only game I play. The more realistic they are, usually they are more fun.

I have a very explosive personality at times, I can be very loud and whatnot. I don't think this is because of video games in the least bit; I blame it on being very passionate and honest.

PS, I categorize needless violence as being something in a game that serves no point other than to be violent (use my manhunt example again: the game itself is hilarious, watched roommates play it at school all the time just because its funny, but the reasoning behind it is just f'ed up).

Comment

Damn, scientists consider insults to be classified as aggressive behaviour. There goes my argument.

Comment

You know, its funny. I'm in medicine, and I see blood and gore all day every day. The difference is to me, its REAL. So I have to ponder, does the notion that blood and gore no longer bother me because of my chosen profession make me more susceptable to planning "proactive agressive acts without experiencing negative effect"? Cause if so, I wonder why we dont see doctors, nurses, police officers and paramedics going on shooting rampages all the freaking time. It's idiotic to think that the conclusions drawn from this have any kind of basis in reality.

It's called scapegoating, and people who fight for a cause have become very very good at it over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            You know, its funny. I'm in medicine, and I see blood and gore all day every day. The difference is to me, its REAL. So I have to ponder, does the notion that blood and gore no longer bother me because of my chosen profession make me more susceptable to planning "proactive agressive acts without experiencing negative effect"? Cause if so, I wonder why we dont see doctors, nurses, police officers and paramedics going on shooting rampages all the freaking time. It's idiotic to think that the conclusions drawn from this have any kind of basis in reality.

It's called scapegoating, and people who fight for a cause have become very very good at it over time.
            Probably because the study is about children and children are "more impressionable" than adults (by children I mean young adolescents). There are no youth doctors or police officers.

Comment

WOW< I think that playing these games is one of the things that probably keeps me from killing real people! NAh, just kidding(my laywer makes me take things back). Stupid researchers.

Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts:

Comment

I used to play Pitfall alot. I never once tried to jump over a pit of quicksand, not once.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                  I used to play Pitfall alot. I never once tried to jump over a pit of quicksand, not once.
                  What about Alligators or Rattlesnakes? I would think you'd have to jump over those, they'd bite if you tried to just walk over them.
                  "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                  -- Red Forman

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                    Lol. Good point!
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

No matter how many times I play MarioCart, I still don't shoot turtles at people.
                      Pyronoid |TG|

Comment

Once upon a time, comic books were blamed for all the woes of children.

Comment

The research I remember shows that violent media (this was before games could portray violence or gore convincingly) does affect not just children but all people that consume it. Like all things psychological, however, the effects varied.

Some of the more telling research studied kids after solving puzzles, watching Power Rangers and watching, I think, sesame street. The Power Ranger group was significantly more aggressive in the many tests given. And those effects lasted longer than the researchers expected (I think on the order of days) but eventually did diminish.

I think it is silly to say that violence, in any form, does not affect individuals. And in some cases that effect can be negative.

This study does not blame all problems of society on violance in media. Maybe the story about the study does. All it says is that the effects of violent media appears to be a heath threat.

To keep the games we like I think the wise thing to do is recongize this and figure out how to minimize this threat. That won't happen by mocking the results.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Maybe it has to do with the fact* that human beings have a desire to emulate those things that they believe are "cool".

*I have no clue if that is a fact, that is just my own observation and assumption.
                            playing off the TG server feels like we're playing 2142 on easy mode~Fehmart

I'm going to close my eyes until it's over~Experiment, commenting on my driving

"Get it up quickly and beat it hard."~Jonan
                            I don't get a bonus DVD? My life has lost all meaning.~Zoopy_T

Comment

Almost every sport encourages and rewards aggressive behavior. I know when I ride my mountain bike I become extremely aggressive. Corporate America encourages it as well. Give me just about any successful business and you will find piranhas. It's survival of the fittest out there. The government encourages it, they want you to join the military and learn to take head out. The church encourages it. The bible is the most murderous book I know of and it glorifies war all day. What is more aggressive then hunting, our VP does it. All of these examples are real life, I'm not even going to get into media. In light of all this some researcher wants to blame video games for kids being aggressive??? He can kiss my BF a**!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X