• Bush vindicated for his stance on stem cell research

Seems he was right after all...

http://tinyurl.com/2d36k9

-D-

Re: Bush vindicated for his stance on stem cell research

There's a first time for everything.

Comment

What was he right about? Did he predict this?

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
        Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
        Exactly. He may have been right in the long run, but I really doubt he crafted that policy with anything but "my religion doesn't agree" in mind.
        I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadd View Post
          Seems he was right after all...

http://tinyurl.com/2d36k9

-D-
          "Vidicated", how so? This discovery might make Bush's decision irrelevant going forward (which is not vindication) but his decision still had an effect on several years of progress.

This editorial reads like it was written in-character by Stephen Colbert.

Comment

Who cares whos right or wrong. I want to know what this means for medicine. When will this be able to cure people, and what diseases could it cure?

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy View Post
              "Vidicated", how so? This discovery might make Bush's decision irrelevant going forward (which is not vindication) but his decision still had an effect on several years of progress.

Bush's policy was that the feds would support research using the existing stem cell lines, while also supporting additional research into producing new stem cells from methods such as those discussed in this editorial. He also set up a panel to monitor the ongoing research and make new recommendations as the science was developed. This allowed for the possibility of adjusting these policies should it become necessary.

You imply that years of progress were lost, but in fact research continued on the existing lines of stem cells, and we now see that the research into new sources of stem cells has paid off, and the ethical dilemma surrounding the use of embryonic stem cells is no longer a factor.

Stem cell research will continue now without this ethical debate. I think it was the right move at the right time, and Bush has been vindicated.

Comment

Stupid liberal media.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                  Who cares whos right or wrong. I want to know what this means for medicine. When will this be able to cure people, and what diseases could it cure?
                  What it means.. and has always meant.. are the advances that will be possible against cell-degenerative diseases and injuries. The hole this fills is in regards to incidents in which damaged cells which the body replaces slowly or not at all, can be replaced with these 'blanks' that can be made into whatever type of cell they need to be.

How soon? I think with this new breakthrough.. pretty soon. They already have the therapies worked out.. stem-cell supply was the issue - they can create the treatment but not get it to the affected.

An issue that arises out of this will come up as Stem-cell and genomic therapies combine - health care research will get REAL interesting when they can start to play together. Theoretically if that could happen, not only does a treated body have a flood of blank cells to program for repairing the injury.. they could supply the injured body with genetically pre-programmed cells - but genetically preprogrammed cells with you own genetics! SO.. what happens when genomic research allows those preprogrammed cells to replace the damaged cells with 'better' genetically altered cells?

I could go on.. but.. there is much better information out there that what comes from this lay-P8riot.

AND.. regardless of right or wrong. Research can continue unhindered for now if this breakthrough holds up. I'm not going to argue Bush was right or wrong.. but I will thank God, there are people out there smarter than monkey-man. This breakthough (IMO) would have occured with or without his actions.. just consider supply and demand - the existing source (aproved or not) was not going to supply the people needing the discovered therapy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                    No one cares about actual progress, it's all about being right or wrong to bolster you're political party's standing. :)
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...