• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An incredible machine.

You must see this incredible video.

*the following text is copied from an email I received*

Turn your sound on for this. This is really cool. Read this
    first, then watch.

This is almost unbelievable. See how all of the balls wind up in catcher cones.

This incredible machine was built as a collaborative effort between the Robert M. Trammell Music Conservatory and the Sharon Wick School of Engineering at the University of Iowa. Amazingly, 97% of the machines component s came from John Deere Industries and Irrigation Equipment of Bancroft, Iowa, yes farm equipment!

It took the team a combined 13,029 hours of set-up, alignment, calibration, and tuning before filming this video but as you can see it was WELL worth the effort. It is now on display in the Matthew Gerhard Alumni Hall at the University and is already slated to be donated to the Smithsonian.

FantasticMachine

!!!!!!!!:icon11:!!!!!!!

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop"!

Re: An incredible machine.

Well..... unfortunately, it turns out not to be a real machine. It's a computer animation:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/musicmachine.asp

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop"!

Comment

Still amazing!

Here's an older thread about it.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

The originators:
        http://www.animusic.com/index.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by MoreGooder View Post
          Cool! Maybe a DVD for xmas :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Yeah.. looks fun.. but the physics don't line up.. but it is a good one.. a favorite anyway - Always remember.. SNOPES.COM is your friend.

Edit: Don't delete that link! I'm going to use it as a joke on a guy at work. The guy is a BRILLIANT mind in his late 70's.. known for his old jokes and his fetish for the latest technology. He was responisible for figuring out how to do track switching in the largest train yards in the world WITHOUT using computers..... they didn't have them then. They used balls of different metals that would travel down slides that would fall based on thier wieght to make electrical connections that allowed electrical power to transfer to motors that would change the track switches to what they want..

This could be fun.
            Last edited by P8riot; 12-04-2007, 10:39 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

^ Impressive. But isn't that really just an old, analogue computer in it's own right? :p "Computers" have been around for longer than people might realize. The abacus comes to mind.

I remember seeing this on PBS last year sometime. It was part of an hour-long program or something like that with "machines" and other visuals set to music more exotic than what is being shown in this clip. The full program was pretty slick, actually.
              sigpic

Comment

YEP! Abacus.. plus ELECTRICITY!

= COOL!
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement