The DaVinci Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DaVinci Code

Ok, who's read it? Who's got opinions on it?

For those who don't know it's based around a FICTIONAL murder mystery that uses a lot of 'history' and poses some interesting questions and conspiracy theories about the vatican and catholic religion.

I thought it was very interesting, I'm still forming my opinions but I wanted to hear from the religious people as to their arguments for or against what they are stating in the book. Fact / Fiction?

( Written by the same guy who wrote 'Angels and Demons". )
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Re: The DaVinci Code

I've read the others and am halfway through this, an it is........................

fantastic.

Comment

listened to it on audio-book. VERY entertaining. Actually, there are 5 codes on the jacket of the book itself, I'm told.

Comment

I found it very interesting, with the whole conspiracy theory about Jesus and Mary Magdalene being royal bloodline, her being his wife and a child born. The Knights Templar guarding the Holy Grail. The grail actually representing the devine feminine (Mary Magdalene). Her being seated to his right hand in 'The Last Supper', some of DaVinci's imagery, and his being part of the secret society 'Priory of Sion'.

Seems almost too sensational though. I was hoping someone who was more of a theologist would have some criticisms so I could have more to consider.

To be honest the book really blew my mind about religion.

Quick, more people read it so we can discuss it more.
        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Oh yeah sorry about the 0.5m sig. I never noticed it was so big or took long to load, but then again I'm on a 2.3m connection. I'll switch it out for something else.

Comment

I was thinking about reading it and since my fiance has it, I was going to wait until I get up to Michigan to read it. But I recently found out that someone borrowed the book from her and when she got it back, it was ruined.

Comment

Well, they must not have liked the book as much as I did.

Comment

I liked both books. What do you want to discuss? It's been awhile since I've read them, so I don't know how good I'll be at this.

Comment

The only downside is if you read Angels and Demons, it's kinda the same book...and the other one I've read, 'Deception Point' is a bit on the far fetched side. Quite a good 'yarn' though.

Historian bloke gets woken up in the middle of the night to solve a crime, meets girl, cue some clever clues, some love interest, kill a few clergy and there you go.

Which book is that about?

(oh and the end of Angels and Demons was crap, imho)

Comment

Loved the book! If you enjoyed it, Try "The Story of B" by Daniel Quinn - along the same lines.

Comment

I havent read it yet, but angels and demons was kick ass and this is supposed to be just like it.

Comment

Da Vinci code is better than Angels and Demons, the end of Angels and Demons was disappointing, far fetched, and frankly crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny_
                          Da Vinci code is better than Angels and Demons, the end of Angels and Demons was disappointing, far fetched, and frankly crap.
                          You asked for discussion.. so discuss... Instead of saying Angels and Demons was crap.. explain why you thought it was crap.. Then we might have something to discuss...

Comment

I've never read Angels and Demons, but I'm heading out this weekend to get a copy....

I thought some of the more religious peeps would have some contrary opinions on the book to give me more things to consider.

So, whats everyone think about the book saying that in the painting of the last supper, DaVinci painted Mary Magdalene seating to the right of Jesus? Not John or whoever.

That she was actually his wife and they had a child and there's possibly a surviving bloodline?

That she was/wasn't a prostitute or was portrayed that way by the Vatican?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                              I've never read Angels and Demons, but I'm heading out this weekend to get a copy....

I thought some of the more religious peeps would have some contrary opinions on the book to give me more things to consider.

So, whats everyone think about the book saying that in the painting of the last supper, DaVinci painted Mary Magdalene seating to the right of Jesus? Not John or whoever.

That she was actually his wife and they had a child and there's possibly a surviving bloodline?

That she was/wasn't a prostitute or was portrayed that way by the Vatican?
                              I apologize to Benny. For some reason, I thought he started this thread and am embarassed at my error.

I think it is quite possible that it is Mary going by the clues the book give. It does fit. It all fits... just as easily <or maybe easier> than the Bible does...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X