This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electromagnetic smog

In philly, where I live, we have a city wide wireless ISP (earthlink). So far its not complete, but most of the city is wifi-enabled. Recently I have been noticing that my overall health has been deteriorating, but I didn't suspect earthlink to be at fault for that.. because I have my own wireless routers in my house. So, after doing some research I spent the last two weeks using only ethernet connections with the wireless disabled in my router. I'm severely freaked out that after turning it back on for only two days I've been irritable, contracted mononucleosis, and my sleep patterns are completely screwed up. I've been waking up at around 7 pm each night and falling asleep at 7 am. Alas, I've managed to get my sleep back on track and after disabling the wifi again the symptoms of mono appear to be getting less severe (pain in my sides mostly, also a very dull but constant headache.. increasing depending on my diet).

Now I know I can't control the wifi from other people's routers, but I plan to install RF filters on the the power system (between the drop from the power company and my house's internal power system). I also plan to build floating rooms with faraday cages when my mother is approved for a loan to renovate our house.

So, my last question is what legal grounds are there for me to possibly take earthlink to court? I don't want to make it a monetary thing, but I do want them to provide information on the locations of all of their masts, as well as providing information to anyone located nearby one of these masts as to what the health effects of (microwave) RF radiation are on biological systems.. and what they can do to shield their house from them, if they choose to.

Re: Electromagnetic smog

You're kidding right?
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
      You're kidding right?
      I'm afraid not. However another idea did dawn on me.. putting large permanent magnets throughout my house to create a more stable magnetic field to interfere with the microwaves permeating my membrane.

Or wearing magnetite and other permanent magnets on my body as I travel.

Comment

Get a tin foil hat! :icon14: :row__577:
        Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

You should ask Einstein about this, he might know something.
          -F- Darksteel

Comment

The always charming exploding silver helped me out. I now know what to look for.

As always darkaluminum, I love your sarcasm, though it is rather dull compared to my own.

Comment

Originally posted by mentholated View Post
              As always darkaluminum, I love your sarcasm, though it is rather dull compared to my own.
              lol.............pwned
              -F- Darksteel

Comment

You seem to be referring to what some people call "magnetic poisoning", in which the human body's natural electromagnetic field is disrupted by outside forces (such as the wi-fi in your area). I see this happen once in a while with people who work around large-scale magnetic fields and it's generally dismissed as hypochondria from people doing "research" on the internet and making vague connections with their symptoms.

Now, this isnt to say that your case isnt an actual problem, but I'd venture a guess that it's probably more psychosomatic than actually being caused by the electromagnetic field that your router, or even hundreds of routers put out.

As my evidence, I suggest you look into the correlation between 60hz AC electric (standard household electrical frequency) and various forms of cancer/illness. It has been noted in many medical journals and studied since the early 1980s, in which a University of Colorado researcher (Dr. Nancy Wertheimer, Ph. D., epidemiologist) made the link between high and low voltage power lines near houses having a direct correlation to the instance of childhood leukemia. Now, that being said, keep in mind that you are CONSTANTLY exposed to the electromagnetic radiation at this exact frequency by lights, televisions, computers, microwaves, appliances, and anything else that runs on electrical current in your house. You have been for your entire life. Theoretically, yes, we are all walking timebombs for cancer and the like due to our lifelong exposure to the EMF radiation emitted by our staples of life. However, it is largely unrealistic to think that your router, or even hundreds of routers in a widespread network would be responsible for increasing this exponentially enough to cause an illness. Even if it were so, you wouldnt be the only one experiencing this problem, it would likely be widespread and a major cause for concern. However, the frequency emitted by your router as the "signal" is as ordinarily harmless as the lightbulb in your lamp, or the computer screen you're reading this off of right now. Also, the amount of electromagnetic exposure you would have to have to cause an instantaneous, or near-instantaneous reaction, such as you described with your symptoms returning, is astronomical and could not possibly be produced by a single router.

Basically what it appears to me as is you were felling like crap, so you did a little internet research and read some tin-foil-hat doctor's idea that the wireless network is the certain cause of your ills. So you disabled yours and EXPECTED the symptoms to go away. Then you reactivated the network and EXPECTED them to come back. The power of the human mind is astonishing in its effect on physiological reaction. Bottom line, it sounds like you're sick by the power of association. As I said in the beginning, I'm not saying you dont have something wrong with you and if you do have real symptoms, you need to consult a licensed physician who can make a real diagnosis, not consult the forums or wikipedia.

Keep in mind that we do have several people from Philadelphia who play here (I know Nardini lives there) and nobody else is really complaining about the "wi-fi illness". Also, there are VERY strict laws pertaining to the location of microwave transmitters in proximity to populated areas and residences. I find it very very doubtful that earthlink or any other ISP could get away with violating the laws and not have been caught yet.

Also, you said you were experiencing symptoms of mononucleosis. The headache, disrupted sleeping pattern and mild cramping in your side are all symptoms, but I can tell you as an ABSOLUTE that you cannot catch mononucleosis from an electronic device. Mono is caused by the Epstein Barr virus, and while computers can transmit viruses, they cannot transmit the organic kind, which this is. I again stress that real symptoms need to be diagnosed by a physician as it could be a real health problem not related to your current fear of wi-fi.

EDIT: Also, you talked about installing floating rooms and faraday cages in your house. I really hope youre either joking or filthy stinking rich because thats a ridiculously expensive renovation, like hundreds of thousands of dollars expensive.

Comment

If you do make one of these rooms, make sure to put your computer in there. Maybe then you'll stop reading Wikipedias
                  Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                    You seem to be referring to what some people call "magnetic poisoning", in which the human body's natural electromagnetic field is disrupted by outside forces (such as the wi-fi in your area). I see this happen once in a while with people who work around large-scale magnetic fields and it's generally dismissed as hypochondria from people doing "research" on the internet and making vague connections with their symptoms.

Now, this isnt to say that your case isnt an actual problem, but I'd venture a guess that it's probably more psychosomatic than actually being caused by the electromagnetic field that your router, or even hundreds of routers put out.

As my evidence, I suggest you look into the correlation between 60hz AC electric (standard household electrical frequency) and various forms of cancer/illness. It has been noted in many medical journals and studied since the early 1980s, in which a University of Colorado researcher (Dr. Nancy Wertheimer, Ph. D., epidemiologist) made the link between high and low voltage power lines near houses having a direct correlation to the instance of childhood leukemia. Now, that being said, keep in mind that you are CONSTANTLY exposed to the electromagnetic radiation at this exact frequency by lights, televisions, computers, microwaves, appliances, and anything else that runs on electrical current in your house. You have been for your entire life. Theoretically, yes, we are all walking timebombs for cancer and the like due to our lifelong exposure to the EMF radiation emitted by our staples of life. However, it is largely unrealistic to think that your router, or even hundreds of routers in a widespread network would be responsible for increasing this exponentially enough to cause an illness. Even if it were so, you wouldnt be the only one experiencing this problem, it would likely be widespread and a major cause for concern. However, the frequency emitted by your router as the "signal" is as ordinarily harmless as the lightbulb in your lamp, or the computer screen you're reading this off of right now. Also, the amount of electromagnetic exposure you would have to have to cause an instantaneous, or near-instantaneous reaction, such as you described with your symptoms returning, is astronomical and could not possibly be produced by a single router.

Basically what it appears to me as is you were felling like crap, so you did a little internet research and read some tin-foil-hat doctor's idea that the wireless network is the certain cause of your ills. So you disabled yours and EXPECTED the symptoms to go away. Then you reactivated the network and EXPECTED them to come back. The power of the human mind is astonishing in its effect on physiological reaction. Bottom line, it sounds like you're sick by the power of association. As I said in the beginning, I'm not saying you dont have something wrong with you and if you do have real symptoms, you need to consult a licensed physician who can make a real diagnosis, not consult the forums or wikipedia.

Keep in mind that we do have several people from Philadelphia who play here (I know Nardini lives there) and nobody else is really complaining about the "wi-fi illness". Also, there are VERY strict laws pertaining to the location of microwave transmitters in proximity to populated areas and residences. I find it very very doubtful that earthlink or any other ISP could get away with violating the laws and not have been caught yet.

Also, you said you were experiencing symptoms of mononucleosis. The headache, disrupted sleeping pattern and mild cramping in your side are all symptoms, but I can tell you as an ABSOLUTE that you cannot catch mononucleosis from an electronic device. Mono is caused by the Epstein Barr virus, and while computers can transmit viruses, they cannot transmit the organic kind, which this is. I again stress that real symptoms need to be diagnosed by a physician as it could be a real health problem not related to your current fear of wi-fi.

EDIT: Also, you talked about installing floating rooms and faraday cages in your house. I really hope youre either joking or filthy stinking rich because thats a ridiculously expensive renovation, like hundreds of thousands of dollars expensive.
                    Trust me, theres a lot of routers in this place. Let me load up Kismet/Kismac.

But yes, what you said is true. I'm not the only person in my neighborhood whos been complaining about these damn wifi masts, they're not your ordinary routers. I wouldn't be surprised if they were using like 30DbW signal amplifiers. Not only that, in my particular area there are a lot of coffee shops and cafe's with wifi. They use amplifiers too. Not to mention a myraid of private ordinary consumer routers in people's homes.. its not a pretty sight. When I said smog, I meant SMOG.

You're right though, I do think it could be partly psychosomatic.. but I'm going to err on the side of caution on this one.

Theres at least 30 routers in a 4 block radius of my house. These masts are intended to cover a lot of ground.

and um, about your comment about those renovations being expensive.. I know for a fact they aren't, because I've done it before. Floating rooms are just rooms built within an exterior room. Copper and aluminum sheeting does a pretty good job if its grounded right. Theres also some interesting ferroceramic alloy/composite I have access to that do an even better job.

PS, I didn't kiss my router. I ate a gummy lifesaver out of a strangers mouth.

Do any of those people live in the fishtown area? Would they even know what the symptoms of EMF sickness are?

Comment

I know what floating rooms are, and I also know what a faraday cage is. However, lining walls with grounded copper sheeting does not make one. There is a very specific way to construct one. You seem to be very serious about making permanent changes to your home and doing a haphazard job with cheaper materials and rough construction wont provide the kind of protection you seem to require. But thats really beside the point.

Honestly, I respect your right to post something about the possibility of a danger to the community or yourself. However, I fail to see how not going to a physician to have your symptoms properly diagnosed is a way to "err on the side of caution". Its absolutely not and you are putting your own health in jeopardy by trusting a third rate source rather than seeking the advice of a trained, educated and scientifically backed professional. Erring on the side of caution would be going to the hospital and having them run every test in the book to make sure you're fine. Going in for an exam isnt err'ing at all, it's just not being stupid.

The number of routers in your area has nothing to do with anything. Routers produce a harmless frequency at a low amplitude. What you seem to be worried about and crossing signals with is microwave transmitters, and as I said, that while the towers may be designed to cover a lot of ground, the laws regarding their placement specifically to make sure the general public is safe from their transmissions is excruciatingly strict. Permits to place, permits to operate, inspections by safety and regulatory officers on a very frequent basis are just some of the things required to get one up in the air. Thinking that they are getting away with a shoddy job and cutting corners is probably very very far from the truth.

Also, on the smog issue, in order for air or anything heavier than air to carry radiation, it has to be in particulate form. Microwave and radio frequency radiation cannot be carried by anything in any form, gaseous, liquid or solid. They are WAVES, not particles.

And yes, I do know what the symptoms of EMF sickness. It's not just localized to your area, and I'm a nurse by profession.

So i'm going to leave this thread alone until some kind of solid evidence backing the theoretical cause of the problem can be shown, and i'm not talking about wikipedia, im talking about a respectable source with some kind of credentials that can back it up. I hold no merit for an informational site that a 13 year old can contribute to because he thinks he the world's foremost authority.

Comment

I know what floating rooms are, and I also know what a faraday cage is. However, lining walls with grounded copper sheeting does not make one. There is a very specific way to construct one. You seem to be very serious about making permanent changes to your home and doing a haphazard job with cheaper materials and rough construction wont provide the kind of protection you seem to require. But thats really beside the point.

Honestly, I respect your right to post something about the possibility of a danger to the community or yourself. However, I fail to see how not going to a physician to have your symptoms properly diagnosed is a way to "err on the side of caution". Its absolutely not and you are putting your own health in jeopardy by trusting a third rate source rather than seeking the advice of a trained, educated and scientifically backed professional. Erring on the side of caution would be going to the hospital and having them run every test in the book to make sure you're fine. Going in for an exam isnt err'ing at all, it's just not being stupid.

The number of routers in your area has nothing to do with anything. Routers produce a harmless frequency at a low amplitude. What you seem to be worried about and crossing signals with is microwave transmitters, and as I said, that while the towers may be designed to cover a lot of ground, the laws regarding their placement specifically to make sure the general public is safe from their transmissions is excruciatingly strict. Permits to place, permits to operate, inspections by safety and regulatory officers on a very frequent basis are just some of the things required to get one up in the air. Thinking that they are getting away with a shoddy job and cutting corners is probably very very far from the truth.

Also, on the smog issue, in order for air or anything heavier than air to carry radiation, it has to be in particulate form. Microwave and radio frequency radiation cannot be carried by anything in any form, gaseous, liquid or solid. They are WAVES, not particles.

And yes, I do know what the symptoms of EMF sickness. It's not just localized to your area, and I'm a nurse by profession.

So i'm going to leave this thread alone until some kind of solid evidence backing the theoretical cause of the problem can be shown, and i'm not talking about wikipedia, im talking about a respectable source with some kind of credentials that can back it up. I hold no merit for an informational site that a 13 year old can contribute to because he thinks he the world's foremost authority.
                        First off, they're waves AND particles. Also, I'm not a fan of western medicine, so I'll take my business elsewhere. Doctors have never done any good for me. If I need a limb amputated however, I know where to go.. or my immune system irradiated, for that matter.

Its just called smog because "biochemical electromagnetic depolarization syndrome" is harder to say.

http://www.wzu.uni-augsburg.de/Engli...Pollution.html

http://emfacts.com/

Why would I trust the laws to determine what distance is safe for me?

I prefer to save my insurance for benzodiazepines.

Comment

Originally posted by mentholated View Post
                          Also, I'm not a fan of western medicine, so I'll take my business elsewhere. Doctors have never done any good for me. If I need a limb amputated however, I know where to go.. or my immune system irradiated, for that matter.
                          Well, I thought I was done, but the fact that you have to stoop to insulting a profession that is based in science while simultaneously quoting sources that belong to that profession proves the depth of ignorance you really do possess. Any argument you make from this point forward, I will consider null.

EDIT: Also, the fact that you said you're saving your insurance for benzodiazepeines (anabolic steroids, downers such as adderall, and other ADD/ADHD drugs, methamphetamines, diazepam, xanax, etc. for those not familiar with the scientific term) further illustrates my statement above. Stupid, utterly stupid, and I have no remorse about saying so.

Comment

Well, I thought I was done, but the fact that you have to stoop to insulting a profession that is based in science while simultaneously quoting sources that belong to that profession proves the depth of ignorance you really do possess. Any argument you make from this point forward, I will consider null.
                            Hey, I didn't insult it. I just said I wouldn't go near it with a 40 meter poll unless I wanted to get high or contract a whole different list of ailments.

Comment

EDIT: Also, the fact that you said you're saving your insurance for benzodiazepeines (anabolic steroids for those not familiar with the scientific term) further illustrates my statement above. Stupid, utterly stupid, and I have no remorse about saying so.

Are you really a nurse? You obviously don't know your pharmacopia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine

And for those that don't trust wikipedia... google it, you lazy proletarians.

Oh wait, you're too lazy. I did it for you. This link even has the word NURSE in it, for those of you who can't see past your profession.

http://www.coolnurse.com/benzo.htm

If science gets us nurses who don't know the difference between a steroid and a tranquilizer, I'll take religion.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X