Extinction events

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extinction events

While others worry about global warming, I'm more concerned about rocks falling from the sky:

[media]http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071219/sc_space/smallasteroidsposebignewthreat[/media]

All in all, the researchers suggest that smaller asteroids may pose a greater danger than previously believed. Moreover, "there are a lot more objects that size," Boslough told SPACE.com.

NASA Ames Research Center planetary scientist and astrobiologist David Morrison, who did not participate in this study, said, "If he's right, we can expect more Tunguska-sized explosions perhaps every couple of centuries instead of every millennia or two." He added, "It raises the bar in the long term ultimately, we'd like to have a survey system that can detect things this small."
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Extinction events

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    While others worry about global warming, I'm more concerned about rocks falling from the sky:

[media]http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20071219/sc_space/smallasteroidsposebignewthreat[/media]
    Don't buy into this crap. In a few years the US military will disclose the truth about their orbital weapons platforms, under the guise of defense against asteroids. I'll tell you one thing, they aren't for blowing up asteroids. An asteroid would be deflected. These weapons are designed to rip holes in large, non-brittle objects. When the time comes, they'll fail, though.

Comment

Originally posted by mentholated View Post
      Don't buy into this crap. In a few years the US military will disclose the truth about their orbital weapons platforms, under the guise of defense against asteroids. I'll tell you one thing, they aren't for blowing up asteroids. An asteroid would be deflected. These weapons are designed to rip holes in large, non-brittle objects. When the time comes, they'll fail, though.
      What?
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

What?
        sigpic

Comment

Did I studda?

Comment

You're hilarious, Menth.

As to the OP... yeah. Asteroids are scary.

If you watch History Channel's "The Universe" season 1, there's an entire episode devoted to all things bad for Earth.

Comment

Mars might be getting hit by a big one sometime in January.

BTW, link ain't working.

PS, Menth is by far the funniest person on these boards.

Do you understand that people have telescopes and can easily look at the sky? Hell, my family got one for Christmas a few years ago and I can clearly see the moon up close. But yeah, I forgot that weapons platform is probably cloaked because its so awesomely hi-tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                Mars might be getting hit by a big one sometime in January.

BTW, link ain't working.

PS, Menth is by far the funniest person on these boards.

Do you understand that people have telescopes and can easily look at the sky? Hell, my family got one for Christmas a few years ago and I can clearly see the moon up close. But yeah, I forgot that weapons platform is probably cloaked because its so awesomely hi-tech.

heh

[unit][support]
                The Greatest Risk In Life Is Not Taking One.
                I am proud to serve my Country!
                United States Army
                I'ma BAD Mutha

:icon40:I am proud to have been an IRRegular!:icon40:
                I am Proud To Have Served With The 3rd Special Forces Detachment!
                "Lets spam smoke grenades and slowly kill them with cancer!" -Mixa

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post

I find the concept of being scared of asteroids quite comical. We could also fear that our universe runs in to a black hole! Movies arent up to that scenario just yet though.

I thought your tread was about the huge number of animal and plant species that are going extinct these days, and how this phenomenon should concern us more then global warming.

I worry about bees going extinct more, then about global cooking, or cataclysmic events.

Comment

...I swear someone can make a conspiracy theory out of anything. I'll open you speculate, "I ordered linguine, who do I have angel hair!" (Bet it has something to do with the government)

On the other hand, once a year on discovery channel they have a show about massive meteors that 'could' hit earth. When I was little that stuff scared the crap out of me, I mean the odds are large so it doesn't phase me much at all. And global warming to me has one good plus... Swimming in a pool in the middle of December!

Hadouken!!! (>*.*)> ==> ==> ==> ^(X.X)^

Comment

I could care less.

I'll concentrate on TODAY, not what MIGHT happen.
                      Skud

Comment

lol azura...u clown :p

[unit][support]
                        The Greatest Risk In Life Is Not Taking One.
                        I am proud to serve my Country!
                        United States Army
                        I'ma BAD Mutha

:icon40:I am proud to have been an IRRegular!:icon40:
                        I am Proud To Have Served With The 3rd Special Forces Detachment!
                        "Lets spam smoke grenades and slowly kill them with cancer!" -Mixa

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                          I find the concept of being scared of asteroids quite comical. We could also fear that our universe runs in to a black hole! Movies arent up to that scenario just yet though.

I thought your tread was about the huge number of animal and plant species that are going extinct these days, and how this phenomenon should concern us more then global warming.

I worry about bees going extinct more, then about global cooking, or cataclysmic events.

Well said Al. Instead of people buying credits so they can feel good about releasing gas, I wish they would focus the money on preservation of near extinct species. In particular species that it is well documented are going extinct because of human and their environment interaction.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                            I could care less.

I'll concentrate on TODAY, not what MIGHT happen.
                            Thats the way I live.

And to the proletarian complaining about conspiracy theories, if assuming anyone concerned about the weaponization of space is a conspiracy theorist, you're in for a bit of a shock in the next 15 years.

Comment

Well, the concept of an asteroid impacting with the planet is nothing to be scared about, just as you don't particularly worry about dying in your car on the highway or taking a 37,000 ft. shortcut directly into the ground while flying in an airplane.

It's just interesting and worth giving some consideration, because the odds aren't astronomically (no pun) small that it wouldn't happen; it's happened already in our century (the massive blast at Tunguska that scientists are now certain was some sort of celestial object crashing into the lower levels of the atmosphere above the Tunguska Plain). More importantly, if it did, the resulting damage would be catastrophic. Imagine the comet that impacted above Tunguska had instead fallen above a major city. 10 - 20 megatons of energy released.

For a while there, "Apophis 2004 MN4" had a relatively decent chance of impacting Earth had it passed through a "gravitational keyhole" that would have altered its trajectory and set up an impact in 2038 or so. Recent re-analysis of its trajectory (as it gets closer, better and better predictions can be made) that it would most likely miss the keyhole.

Had it impacted, however, it would have released energy comparable to 880 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Krakatoa was about 200 megatons.

Again, it's nothing to start crapping ourselves over; statistics are on our side. For me, however, it's interesting to consider these things.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X