Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read a Banned Book today!

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedboo...frequently.htm

I've read over a third of the books on this list and now I plan on increasing that number...

I remember that when I was in 5th grade, my teacher had a copy of #96 on that list and he highly recommended it but told me that he couldn't let me see his copy... That pissed me off to no end... It's been a while since I read that book, but I still don't see why it would be banned.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Read a Banned Book today!

im surprised stephen kings apt pupil, 1984, and f451 are not on that list (way politically motivated... as was wizard of oz, but thats another thread). I dont see what is wrong with wrinkle in time or light in the attic though, and if lita is there, is it not a sequel to where the sidewalk ends.... what is wrong in that book exactly? it has to be the telephant and elephone poem.

and there are others that seem innocent enough as well... like the new joy of gay sex..... what could possibly harm a young mind in that book?

there are a few stupid inclusions, and some noticeably absent titles, but most of them are consistent... sex or religion.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

http://www.hypothetical.net/sillydog...Sex%20Book.pdf

Have number #19 on me.

Parental Advisory, NSFW etc.

Comment

i studied politics for a year, and one of the experiments we did was to get a book and read in, but only in a certain mindset, and look for communist or racist or sexist contexts.

in a book called the wild things, a small picture covered chilldrens book, we found a comunist plot to break free from society. comments upon women in our society, and a feeling that the communists were all around.

now im sorry but when people say the wizzard of ozz is a communist book or some such, really honestly and truthfully, although it may be affected by the situation at the time, it is not....

and 1984, why should that be on the list i have read this a few times, i dont see why it should be banned. to be honest, unless a book ensights terrorism, like books calling for jihad ect ect, then i dont agree with banning books.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I didnt sat the wizard of oz was communist... that would be the smurfs.

the wizard of oz was a complete metaphor for the politics of the day. it was written about the american gold backed monies being subsidized by silver and most of the characters were politicians.

Follow the Yellow Brick Road....... hello?

http://www.prosperityuk.com/prosperi...es/wizzoz.html

this will give you the story behind it...

and my point was not that I thought they should be banned, my point was the books that were on the list were there, then the ones I mentioned have the same if not more reason to be on the list..... its like of mice and men is horrible but f451 is ok? I just dont get it. f451 and 1984 are stories of communism. the ministry of the interior, burning books..... martial law. but of mice and men we should not read cause it is evil compared to those two. please.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
            that would be the smurfs.
            Ah, I never really noticed it, but they are! But then, so is just about every other cartoon community... In my opinion, Star Trek is the worst because it implies that technology can allow communism to work.

Ban Star Trek!
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              Ah, I never really noticed it, but they are! But then, so is just about every other cartoon community... In my opinion, Star Trek is the worst because it implies that technology can allow communism to work.
              Star Trek has so many latent racist and elitist themes, it's not even funny.

BTW: Who the Hell would want to ban "Where's Waldo?" It's not even a real book.

Comment

I can't believe the books on that list...I read probably 10-20 of those books in gradeschool. We specifically studied at least another 10-20 of them in high school senior literature classes.

The books on that list are actually the ones 'most frequently challenged', I'm assuming that means someone or some group is objecting to it being in a library, but not necessarily a 'banned book'.
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I wished they gave a reason why the book was banned..

Anybody else notice that 75 to 85% of the books on the list have to do with sex? Just more of America's "sex is evil" theory at work.

I got a signed copy of Private Parts (actually went to a book signing and met Stern). Its no surprise I am a big Stern fan and supporter.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                    BTW: Who the Hell would want to ban "Where's Waldo?" It's not even a real book.
                    hahahahaha ... and A Light In The Attic? It's a bunch of poems, most of them extremely silly but in an appealing-to-children sort of way. Or did I miss some vast hidden conspiracy or sexual overtones when reading it as a child? Anyway, Where's Waldo? is definitely a ridiculous thing to challenge.

It's a terrible shame about Little Black Sambo, it's really just the names that people find objectionable. For someone like me, who read it when I was 7 and didn't know that racism even existed, it was just a cute story. I really don't see the stereotyping in it, and thinking back on the pictures, the dress and the setting seems more Indian than African...

I'm also not really sure why anyone would get upset with A Wrinkle In Time. Usually the objectors are religious people that get upset with references to magic or unconvential family styles, or they're concerned parents who don't want their children to read about "adult" situations or death too early. I think Madeleine L'Engle was deeply religious, and certainly her books have a strong Christian influence (was she the one that was Mormon? Or was that Zenna Henderson and The People?). I mean, good grief, the same characters from Wrinkle were in Many Waters, which was about Noah's Ark and the Great Flood and featured angels! Her books have a pretty strong moral tone; Wrinkle is the only one I can think of where no one dies, and it ends 95% happy with the family reunited at last. What's the harm in that?

Comment

Awww you just want an excuse to read "What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Daughters by Lynda Madaras"
                      "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                        to be honest, unless a book ensights terrorism, like books calling for jihad ect ect, then i dont agree with banning books.
                        What ever happened to freedom of expression, no matter what you want to express?

You might want to censor terrorism, others sexual themes/ sex education, other extreme right/ leftwing polotics, others religion/ atheism, others evolutionism etc etc.

There is no universal correct and acceptable morailty that one can use as a guidline for censorship, only one enforced upon society by the majority. e.g. the majority thinks young children shouldn't watch violent films (but not all do).

Despite this being something we are constantly encouraged to debate in school, I have found it hard to come reconcile freedom of speech and protection of influencable young children from "bad stuff".
                        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

How can you have true 'freedom of speech', when you ban books and literature, or interfere with any person or group from voicing their thoughts and opinions?

For example, 'hate propaganda' is banned by the government. But isn't one persons hate propaganda, sometimes another persons Bible? Couldn't the catholic bible be considered 'hate propaganda' against gay marriage or gay relationships?

I'm not saying I agree with 'hate propaganda', but shouldn't someone have to right to present their opinions in any way they see fit whether you agree with them or not, or even if you are offended, angered, or even enraged at what they have to say?

Isn't it then up to me to either censor it from myself (or my children) by not reading or listening to it? I feel that I should have the freedom to consider it and to accept or discard those opinions as sound or unsound.

If the choice isn't mine to make then how can I pretend to live in a society that promotes freedom.
                          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

the whole "banned book" thing is only from public schools. and Americans have made it clear that sex and religion are not welcome in public school curiculum. they are still available for sale or loan, just not from XXX county middle school library.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                              What ever happened to freedom of expression, no matter what you want to express?

You might want to censor terrorism, others sexual themes/ sex education, other extreme right/ leftwing polotics, others religion/ atheism, others evolutionism etc etc.

There is no universal correct and acceptable morailty that one can use as a guidline for censorship, only one enforced upon society by the majority. e.g. the majority thinks young children shouldn't watch violent films (but not all do).

Despite this being something we are constantly encouraged to debate in school, I have found it hard to come reconcile freedom of speech and protection of influencable young children from "bad stuff".

ok ill agree with this, i take it back you should not ban any books at all. none, they are somebody elses thoughts and feelings or just a story. an d saying you will ban a book for fear of brainwashing just means you wish to keep the current brainwash.

further more ddogg doesnt the us schools have bibles, i bet they do, but wait is that not religion.

banning another religious context and allowing another is pure censorship (as mute put it)

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X