U.S. and Iran - Near Clash at Sea.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. and Iran - Near Clash at Sea.

This is "breaking" news although the event took place "Saturday night" according to CNN.

Link to video: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...s.warships.cnn (Source: Department of Defense, broadcast via CNN.com)

I've been watching videos and reading online stories on this incident that nearly turned into a international incident.

Apparently 5 unidentified "speedboats" approached a 3 ship convoy passing through the international waters (a strait) between Iran and the United Emirate States (think I got that right). Reporters from CNN, Fox News, and AP are assuming they are from the Iranian Revolutionary Force.

This of course caught my eye as I was checking my email. I thought I'd share with the rest of you.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: U.S. and Iran - Near Clash at Sea.

I saw this too. I also caught a story about how Ahmadinejad is starting to lose support from the clerics which is huge. I can't seem to relocate that story though. I do think we can stay out of war and still see him replaced, it would be a good thing.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Something's not right with those videos. Firstly, those "Iranian Patrol Boats" are NOT patrol boats at all. They're just speedboats. THIS is an iranian pt boat:
      [media]http://www.someoneelseslife.com/images/1894.jpg[/media]

Second, naval officers wouldnt be wearing bright orange lifevests... and I'd suspect neither would a bunch of revolutionary guard. They're saying the boats were part of Iran's "swarm-boat" tactics, but if you look closely you really dont see any armament whatsoever on those speedboats.

Here's another pic of a swarm boat:
      http://bp3.blogger.com/_E-QOnTGFX_o/...-h/jul004a.JPG

Secondly, the voice on the tape is distinctly American sounding. Like an american sailor making a joke on the radio (the voice isnt even serious).

Thirdly, white boxes thrown in the water (which I didnt see any) would denote more of a practice exercise.

IMO, this whole charade is nothing but a practice exercise... perhaps even arranged with the Iranian Guard or Navy. Either that, or it's just a bunch of thrillseekers messing with the Navy.

As far as Iran taking an aggressive posture?? That's pure BS. And it's irresponsible warmongering for our Administration to take an aggressive stance on this.
      Last edited by Gambit7; 01-08-2008, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
        And it's irresponsible warmongering for our Administration to take an aggressive stance on this.
        Are you crazy? Diplomatically, this could get Ahmedinejad ousted. Militarily, it's insane to not take this seriously. Regardless of who's responsible, or whether or not it was a dry run, those ships risked a LOT by not destroying those fast attack boats.

Either way, an aggressive stance is absolutely the right direction to head.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

One of the three does look like a speedboat, the other two however are larger, but fuzzy and hard to make out. They bare some lines that your second picture shows though.

I also agree, regardless of this was a dry run or not, it has to be taken seriously. I doubt it was a practice, I doubt the navy would release the tape of a practice while calling it an incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
            Something's not right with those videos. Firstly, those "Iranian Patrol Boats" are NOT patrol boats at all. They're just speedboats.
            You need to reread my original post, lol. I was trying to say that reporters are claiming those boats to be Iranian RF patrol boats, but I have stated that according to the actual video footage (linked to above), the Navy officer says: "...unidentified boats, please identify yourselves and your intentions...".

The CNN videos on this incident also quote the naval officer as saying such, but it seems to be masked by those reporters constantly calling those boats as: "...Iranian speedboats...of the Iranian Revolutionary Force...".

In short, the media is making up BS again while lightly pointing out what was said and what wasn't. Of course, most viewers don't seem to catch onto what was actually said only what comes out of media mouths. :row__642:

Originally posted by Cingy
            Either way, an aggressive stance is absolutely the right direction to head.
            I also agree. If those boats are actually linked to Iran, then I'm surprised we haven't already started the war process. Some people cease to surprise me in this world. Always trying to provoke something, grr. Wish they'd grow another brain sometimes.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Gambit, I'll just surmise you haven't heard about the USS Cole incident and that your lack of knowledge on the implications of a hostile act by even the smallest "unidentified" vessel (let alone the coordinating swarming of multiple vessels) is sufficient for you to distort this as an "administration" driven agenda and not something that was CLEARLY instigated by the third-party (Iranian or not).

Comment

this is soooo skewed. The "radio transcript" was ONE LINE. What the hell is that?

This is defiantly overblown!

Not to mention, the actual footage and audio...

Nothing to see here, IMO. That voice was stupid. "You will explode"

Sounded like a bad impersonation of a stereotype
                Skud

Comment

I sorta wish the line: "you will explode" was: "eat me". That way I could at least laugh at the whole incident. :D
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    I sorta wish the line: "you will explode" was: "eat me". That way I could at least laugh at the whole incident. :D
                    lol

Iran would be very stupid (or has working nukes) to initiate an attack with us while we are so heavily stationed in the middle east, we have so many missles and what not to obliterate them ten times over, i hope that if they attack, we hand their asses to them on a silver platter, and kick Ahmedinejad to the curb, he is the true warmonger in all of this.

and take all their oil (ok, jk on the last part)