Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK leads the world in public video surveillance...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK leads the world in public video surveillance...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

Big Brother is always watching in Britain.

An estimated 4.2 million closed-circuit TV cameras observe people going about their everyday business, from getting on a bus to lining up at the bank to driving around London. It's widely estimated that the average Briton is scrutinized by 300 cameras a day....
    ..."Instead of being perceived as an Orwellian intrusion, the cameras in Britain ... were hailed as the people's technology, a friendly eye in the sky, not Big Brother but a kindly and watchful uncle or aunt," he wrote....
    This concerns me a bit, but should I actually be worried?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: UK leads the world in public video surveillance...

Solution: don't pick your nose in public.

Comment

If I'm out in public they can film me, I don't care.

I know, I know. "They'll use the data to track your movements" or "They'll spy on people" or "They'll take upskirt photos"! There are also people who say NASA faked the moon landing, personally I'm not that paranoid. If some camera operator wants to watch me scratch my balls or pick my nose that's their problem. It's only if it makes it's way into the home that I'd have an issue.

"But this is a stepping stone to more invasive monitoring".

Yep, and Elvis and JFK and bigfoot are hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa and J. Edgar Hoover on a sound stage in Area 51 watching the aliens reenact the moon landing.

Comment

I currently don't have any concerns for this as I can actually see real and positive benefits to having them. The police use them extensively to watch for shoplifters and violent drunks. It is not really possible for the police or other agencies to abuse their access to CCTV as it is now.

I would have a massive problem with this combined with computerised face recognition technology plus the governments ambitions to allow government agencies to share data.

The battle to fight is on data protection and Big Brother is very definately the Home Secretary David Blunket.
        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

This concerns me a bit, but should I actually be worried?

it concerns me more that an officer of the united states does not want this, but first off let me just fix one of your comments.

the cameras for cars are called congestion charge, and not all people like that, but not because it is an intrusion merely because it costs money to drive in london at peak times. those cameras just fix a charge to you.

second, how many times as a police officer would you wish you came to the scene of a crime a little earlier to stop the stabbing.

well londons streets have drunken idiots killing people all the time. the police monitored cameras can pick up on a situation before it esculates and puts an offficer on the beat soon enough to prevent or contain violence.

why should i be scared of this, i dont do nothing wrong, i dont get hassled but shop lifters drug dealers rapists and thugs all get framed on a regular basis.

isnteaqd of worrying about how you could become will smith in enemy of the stae you should be thinking about this as a solution or crime prevention scheme. it has proven to work here time and time again.

the reason the killers of holy and jessica wells were caught, because cctv placed them in the area of the killer. without that noone would have known.

you portray it as bad i think it is the best idea.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman
            If I'm out in public they can film me, I don't care.

I know, I know. "They'll use the data to track your movements" or "They'll spy on people" or "They'll take upskirt photos"! There are also people who say NASA faked the moon landing, personally I'm not that paranoid. If some camera operator wants to watch me scratch my balls or pick my nose that's their problem. It's only if it makes it's way into the home that I'd have an issue.

"But this is a stepping stone to more invasive monitoring".

Yep, and Elvis and JFK and bigfoot are hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa and J. Edgar Hoover on a sound stage in Area 51 watching the aliens reenact the moon landing.
            the moon landings were faked.

because russia orbited first.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse