Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're a Yankee's fan, be ashamed....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're a Yankee's fan, be ashamed....

http://sports.excite.com/news/09062004/v8907.html

Sep 6, 8:42 PM (ET)

By RONALD BLUM

NEW YORK (AP) - The New York Yankees asked the commissioner's office to award them a forfeit over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays after they failed to arrive in time Monday because of travel problems due to Hurricane Frances.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: If you're a Yankee's fan, be ashamed....

I heard that on the radio and nearly threw up...

HS
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Originally posted by HSantal
      I heard that on the radio and nearly threw up...

HS

well i think that has to be an over exaduration right there. lol

but that is pretty sad..

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Maybe the Yankee's should of sent their one hundred million dollar plane to go pick them up?

I think the Yankee's need to realize that not every team has a three trillion dollar budget..

Comment

Last I heard, they weren't so much CALLING for the forfeit, but rather seeing if it was a forfeit situation.

The game itself is rather minor, all things considered. The Yankees are mostly peeved about losing millions of dollars (lost concessions, reissuing tickets ala a rainout) over a situation they feel should not have happened.

Not that I have a lot of sympathy for them, being an Orioles fan as I am, but I understand their frustration.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

It's also my understanding (according to 2 Yankee fans I work with) that the Devil Rays opted not to leave Florida in advance of the storm. I don't know the circumstances there, but if they had an out and chose not to take it, then I can understand *a little* why the Yankees might want some consideration.

That said, I really couldn't care one way or the other... I'm not much of a baseball fan anymore, but I still favor the National League. What happens in the AL is of little interest to me (except when it irritates my co-workers... they can get so silly ;) ).

Comment

The Devil Rays DID decide to stay in Florida through the weekend. They wanted to be WITH their families through the hurricane instead of sit in a hotel room and play a ball game.

The Yankees (I'm not sure which official) did request that a forfeit be called and not just inquire about it.

FYI... The last forfeit was called back in 1902.

There was a natural disaster that threatened the lives of some baseball players and their families. Granted, 9/11 was a bit more extreme and MLB decided to cancel all games, but I doubt I would have heard any teams calling for the Yankees to forfeit games. All speculation of course... but show a little sportsmanship and respect to those players and their families.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

These teams are also $100M+ businesses and these "players" are making at least $300k annually. Don't show up and don't have a reason that the league authorizes? You lose, won-ton.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                  These teams are also $100M+ businesses and these "players" are making at least $300k annually. Don't show up and don't have a reason that the league authorizes? You lose, won-ton.
                  Screw that... It was an "act of god" fer crissakes!

The whole point here is that the Yankees were stupid to even ask for a forfeit. They knew that there was no way in hell that the Commish would grant it and it could do nothing but cause more hate for the most hated team in baseball...

Comment

Looks like MLB is going to either reschedule or cancel the game.

Personally I don't buy the Tampa team's argument: to arrive in NY when they did they pertty much had to wait until the last minute in FL before leaving. They could have left Sat morning, etc.

My point is that these are big businesses and have every right to expect each other to show when they're supposed to. Yes there was a hurricane but 75% of Florida, many of whom do not have access to the resources that team has, managed to skedaddle the day before. The whole state was a ghost town on Sat. Why were all of those people able to scoot but the baseball team with all their resources couldn't?

I don't know what's going on here but I see the Yankee's point.

Comment

Looks like MLB is going to either reschedule or cancel the game.

Personally I don't buy the Tampa team's argument: to arrive in NY when they did they pertty much had to wait until the last minute in FL before leaving. They could have left Sat morning, etc.

My point is that these are big businesses and have every right to expect each other to show when they're supposed to. Yes there was a hurricane but 75% of Florida, many of whom do not have access to the resources that team has, managed to skedaddle the day before. The whole state was a ghost town on Sat. Why were all of those people able to scoot but the baseball team with all their resources couldn't?

I don't know what's going on here but I see the Yankee's point.
                      I can see the Yankee's point as being cold, heartless bastards. To expect a group of 50 guys to all get together in Tampa before, during, or immediately after the second hurricane in month and leave their families to go to a GAME is unreasonable when it can very simply be rescheduled for another time. I see this, the Commissioner of Baseball can see this, the majority of the country can see this, even most Yankee's fans see this. If you can't, then I'm very sorry.

Comment

OK so what's your suggestion. The game was scheduled. It didn't happen. Someone had to petition the commissioner's office for a resolution, and apparently the Devil Rays had neither done so before the game nor after the game. If I'm the yankees, while I'm going about the business of requesting a resolution I might as well ask for the one that gives me a free win.

And it is a game and it isn't, you know? MLB generates how much revenue annually? What was Steinbrenner's payroll for the missed game? $500k or so? I don't know, but there are a few players on that team making around $50k a game...

Comment

If I'm the yankees, while I'm going about the business of requesting a resolution I might as well ask for the one that gives me a free win.
                          Why? If you know that it's going to be denied and asking will do nothing but provide bad publicity, why do it? Why not ask the opposing team if there's anything that can be done to accomodate them and their families in their time of need? The Yankees certainly don't need the half game boost in their standings, and I'm sure the publicity cost them more revenue than one simple game would have...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

That's a fair point. I guess the benefits of making the playoffs far outweigh the cost of any bad publicity. They're 2.5 games in the lead right now. A free win with 24ish games left is important.

Comment

That's a fair point. I guess the benefits of making the playoffs far outweigh the cost of any bad publicity. They're 2.5 games in the lead right now. A free win with 24ish games left is important.
                              Actually, they're 6.5 games ahead of the next closest team that could bump them from the playoffs... And that's a good point, but how would playing the game at a later date cost them anything? Are they saying that they're not good enough to earn their way into the playoffs on the field? Must they take advantage of a situation that was tragic to many people in order to secure their position in the post season?

Oh and it was mentioned earlier that they would lose revenue from ticket sales, concessions, etc... This is only partially true, as Tampa only missed the first game of a double header. As I understand it, the stadium still had a fair crowd for the game that was missed. It turned into a big pregame party and the concession stands were open. I don't know if they refunded anyone's ticket to the doubleheader, however...
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X