Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for nothing

{personal rant, kinda long}

A couple days I was visiting an old friend and his family who lives in a farming commuity. I have not seen these folks in a while, like 4 or 5 years so we had a a lot of catching up to do, during our converstation my friends wife asked if I still fooled around with computers. of course I repleyed it's my main hobby, She then asked if I had any I didn't use or need as she would like to be able to get online and use e mail as their oldest son heads for collage on a schloarship in the spring and surf around the net.{ note: last time we spoke she knew I had 10 machines networked running RC5-72 www.distributed.net/rc5/ } well I might be able to put something basic together but I got rid of most of my extra parts and stuff.
    So I cleaned out my closet this morning and I ended up with enough stuff to put together a very basic machine.
    NEC muti-sync 50 15 inch monitor, P III 550E, 192MB PC100, ATI 8MB PCI, 10 gig Hdd, context 56Kv92, Kingstone 10/100 nic {so I could update the OS} and a magic sound sound card, my old plexwriter 12x, genic 8x dvd read only with windvd that came with said drive. And my last new retail windows 2000 copy I been hording.
    I got it all updated, avg. comodo firewall, jart word app, made up a cd with some other free programs like open office, ab-word, gimp for windows, paint.net and so on I thought they might be interested in.
    Yes she's old and slow by todays standards but it's use is for e mail and surfing and letter writing. She runs smooth and steady.
    Now it's after 1600 hrs and I need a nap and my pills, but I wanted to let my friend know that I came up with something, gave them a call and she was excitied about the news. around 1700 hrs they show up. and I have the machine set up running in the kitchen, my bedroom is right off the kitchen and next to the front door. as in you walk in the front door in to the kitchen and look left right away, theres my bedroom.

Now a little backgound info on my bedroom:
    I have four full sized dragon server towers in here, each has it's own purpose, The blue one is only used for gaming, she's the fastest with the core 2 dual E6700 @2.66hHz, the black one is only for video/photo editing a dual core 3.4Ghz, the biege one is Linux only and my everyday use machine a dual core 3.0.6Ghz, and the green one is the FTP/File server, well just a file server for back ups now now, a old Athlon 1.2Ghz. plus my IBM tablet which is always on my desk 1.5Ghz.

Now I'm showing my friend his wife the P III and explaning about it when I notice her scoping out my room, it's a clear view from where we are. she asks about the machines she sees and I tell her about them, and mention that I don't use the green one much any more as it's mostly for back ups now. I mention each of the kids have their own notebooks, though they are older ones, and I have the newest, the IBM. she looks at me and her face goes kinda funny and she asks, why the f*&$* can't I have on of those in your room you don't need so many and she starts bitching away, I look at my friend and he just shrugs and smirks { I never liked his wife and he knows it} she's running her mouth about how poor they are and I must have money left over still to be able to afford all this and so on and so forth, then, and this what gots me. my friend buts in and says to her, honey I need to get going if I am going to pick up the pot. ?????? WTF did I just hear? Pot I asked him, you still smoke? I thought you stopped long ago. he smiles, nope, and I got to get going if I am going to make it, this guy leaves for work soon and he don't have much good stuff left, and I'm out. I ask how much he spends a month, oh about 300 to 400 for the both of us, you remember how much I liked to high don't cha?
    Now I am getting angry, I said I think you should leave, you can't have the machine, if you didn't buy dope for a couple months you could have a nice new computer sitting in your living room, I don't feel sorry for you, wifey starts in yelling how I'm a prick and worse, and I'm starting to have chest pains from the stress, now my son comes in from high school at this point and sees my face and knows whats up and tells them they have to go now, wifey gets pissed even more but my friend drags her out and away they go to their dealers with him muttering something about how I changed into an arshole.

well I've had my meds, a nap and now to install 2142 on the blue box and see about gaming wed. night.
    {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Re: Something for nothing

Eh, same goes for folks who smoke cigs. and/or go out clubbing every weekend. Matter of fact, if you combined all 3 (which is how it usually works), 1 - 2 months of NOT doing that could score you a GTX rig + a phat widescreen. LoL
    Honestly, If I went out like I used to I'd be broke. The computer actually saves me money.

I'll be honest with you though, you should've given them the system. Why go through the trouble of building it (and using a retail key btw) if you're not gonna give it to em? Also, in defense of their pot-habit, most people who are pretty poor usually need something to take the bitter taste of "poorness" away... that's usually drinking, drugs, chain-smoking, or a combination of all of em.

If they were well enough off to buy their own system and they smoked, I wouldnt have given it to em. Dirt poor peeps are another matter though.

If the "computer in every home" initiative used weed as a determinant to give out systems, they'd probably have not given out very many.

I'd actually chalk this one up to the wife simply being a bytch, not weed. I'm with you there bro.

Comment

This kinda illustrates the value of private charity over public charity. You get to set your own standards about who should qualify. (Possibly through an agent you've approved, such as the Red Cross or the Nature Conservancy.)
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'm doubtful the leaders of the RedCross even know how to use a computer, much less refer someone to them. hehehe
        Also, they dont like venturing into black neighborhoods... so right there the standards are skewed :)

Comment

"I'll be honest with you though, you should've given them the system. Why go through the trouble of building it (and using a retail key btw) if you're not gonna give it to em?"

Yeah, why not give them a bunch of free money. That'll learn 'em! In fact, let's have a day to celebrate jerks. Everyone who isn't a jerk works 16 hours, and all the day's wage goes to the jerk of their choice so they can buy more drugs. Give me that CD key, 2K-4-LIFE!

"most people who are pretty poor usually need something to take the bitter taste of 'poorness' away... that's usually reading books, washing with soap, eating healthy foods, saving their money, and learning a marketable trade."

Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
            "I'll be honest with you though, you should've given them the system. Why go through the trouble of building it (and using a retail key btw) if you're not gonna give it to em?"

Yeah, why not give them a bunch of free money. That'll learn 'em! In fact, let's have a day to celebrate jerks. Everyone who isn't a jerk works 16 hours, and all the day's wage goes to the jerk of their choice so they can buy more drugs. Give me that CD key, 2K-4-LIFE!

"most people who are pretty poor usually need something to take the bitter taste of 'poorness' away... that's usually reading books, washing with soap, eating healthy foods, saving their money, and learning a marketable trade."

Fixed that for you.
            hehe.. point taken
            Again though, I'm with the OP with regards to the wifey being a jerk. But disagree if it's simply pot-related. But really, our opinions dont matter here. He's simply letting off steam and can do as he pleases. I dont blame fetterman really, I'm just arguing semantics. I'd rather give a system to a nice pothead rather than a jerkoff goodie-2-shoes.

p.s.
            no, i dont smoke pot (or anything for that matter)... contrary to popular belief

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
              Also, in defense of their pot-habit, most people who are pretty poor usually need something to take the bitter taste of "poorness" away...
              LOL! Work does wonders for that taste...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yea they can afford to buy one them selfs, they got a nice car and him a pick up, and their house was paid off about 8 years ago.
                I know her from HS, didn't like her then ether. Ment him after HS, he's a contractor and makes good money, she sits at home last I knew and does god nows what, smokes their stash maybe?
                I was trying to be helpful, I have nothing to do all day anymore. so it was really great to be messing around going though all my crap and figuring out what worked and what didn't. {I found my hardly used N-64 on the top shelf behind a box of old Hdd's/cd drives and cables} found forgotten games. heh got my closet cleaned up now.
                As for the OS, I'll just stick the cd back in it's sleeve, and put it back in the box and wipe the drive tomorrow, I didn't put the COA sticker on it yet.
                I'll put Antix 7.1 on it tomorrow, then I'll call the homeless family shelter and see if they could use a basic net machine for one of the family day rooms.

I would had given it to them if she didn't start to such a jerk. but when she started yelling at me why they could not have one of my PERSONAL machines instead of the old one, well that drew the line. I don't care if you get high on what ever. yelling at me to give up one of mine rigs then mention that you need to get going to spend whatever it costs nowday for some dope, {last time I smoked in '78 it was $15.00 for an oz of very good coloumbia} screw them.
                FYI folks, I have almost 7K tied up in three machine including the tablet, I'm not about to give one away. I have to pay on the loan for those and CC plus rent, food/clothing for two teenagers/vet bills, phone/dsl, plus my insurance don't cover all of my needs so I got some med bills of mine own. we get by, barley at times I admit, so I just don't get my diabetic stuff for that month.
                Well I'm going to go play some decent 1 on the old girl.
                {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Yea they can afford to buy one them selfs, they got a nice car and him a pick up, and their house was paid off about 8 years ago.
                  I know her from HS, didn't like her then ether. Ment him after HS, he's a contractor and makes good money, she sits at home last I knew and does god nows what, smokes their stash maybe?
                  I was trying to be helpful, I have nothing to do all day anymore. so it was really great to be messing around going though all my crap and figuring out what worked and what didn't. {I found my hardly used N-64 on the top shelf behind a box of old Hdd's/cd drives and cables} found forgotten games. heh got my closet cleaned up now.
                  As for the OS, I'll just stick the cd back in it's sleeve, and put it back in the box and wipe the drive tomorrow, I didn't put the COA sticker on it yet.
                  I'll put Antix 7.1 on it tomorrow, then I'll call the homeless family shelter and see if they could use a basic net machine for one of the family day rooms.

I would had given it to them if she didn't start to such a jerk. but when she started yelling at me why they could not have one of my PERSONAL machines instead of the old one, well that drew the line. I don't care if you get high on what ever. yelling at me to give up one of mine rigs then mention that you need to get going to spend whatever it costs nowday for some dope, {last time I smoked in '78 it was $15.00 for an oz of very good coloumbia} screw them.
                  FYI folks, I have almost 7K tied up in three machine including the tablet, I'm not about to give one away. I have to pay on the loan for those and CC plus rent, food/clothing for two teenagers/vet bills, phone/dsl, plus my insurance don't cover all of my needs so I got some med bills of mine own. we get by, barley at times I admit, so I just don't get my diabetic stuff for that month.
                  Well I'm going to go play some decent 1 on the old girl.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Tell your boy you'll give him one of your server boxes if he axes his ball and chain :)
                    To sweeten the deal, give her the box you built if she leaves.

Comment

So, I don't know these people or anything, but it sounds like the husband might have been intentionally trying to make the same point you did when he came out and started talking about their expensive pot habit, right in the middle of his wife's rant. Did it seem to you more like he was intentionally sabotaging her rather than supporting her?

Comment

Wow. I applaud your restraint from physical violence. Shows what being nice will get you :[
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

30 years of smokin dope will make anyone highly delusional and self centered.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X