Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting

Do any of you hunt?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: Hunting

i do, i hunt whitetail deer in wisconsin with rifle and bow, i also do some waterfowl and upland bird hunting if i get time to do so, and squirrels, and racoon(not recently tho)
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I like white tail and turkey. Me and my dad once found a katana under the skeleton of a butt-less deer.

What round do you use for a rifle/ shotgun.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

i shoot a 150 grain .270 balistic tip (i take alot of long shots and half my hunting area is 300+ yards out) i also have a scope with a hash for every 100 yds up to 700 yards, the hash spacing is specifically calibrated for a .270 with a 150 grain bullet, if i switch grain size, my scope is not only off, but worthless (the 200-700 hashes)-ill see if i can link it tomorrow, its late--;
        as for shotgun, i shot a 3-1/2'' 4 to 6 shot steel when waterfown and lead when upland bird hunting, or when im hunting road signs, ill throw in some double ot buck shot (jk on the last part)
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

for the shotgun, I use the basic 20 gauge, a .303 British Enfield Mk. 5 (aka jungle carbine), or a Savage 7mm 08.

Comment

I'm not a hunter. I wish I was, though. I went hunting a couple of times with my mom and uncles when I was a kid and I want my son to do the same thing. I want him to know where meat comes from.

I absolutely despise when people say they don't like hunting because it's cruel to take an animals life like that, while they're eating a Big Mac.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hehe Big Mac.............

I hunt Elk and WaterFowl The reason for elk and not dear is that in my part of colorado the Elk Are MUCH MUCH MUCH more populous then the deer, you see a lot more of them on a given week then you do deer. Elk also give a lot more meat, and if i spend a $2.50 Cartridge on an animal i want a lot of meat. Weapon of choice here is my Weatherby MK V [media]http://www.chuckhawks.com/wby_mk5_deluxe.jpg[/media]

(I don't have the deluxe so mine lacks the pretty wood pattern)
              I've also got a 30-06 Semi Automatic Remington [media]http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upfiles/93251/B9CA7F63115E48D2AC781DE55F9A11F4.jpg[/media]

that gun's pretty good..............then I've got a couple Burris scopes and a Leupold. Lots of handguns but those dont go hunting.

Comment

Nice choice on weapons and game, Sticky. I like the Weatherby and Elk is my favorite of the large NA game to eat.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I grew up hunting all kinds of critters. My favorite is game birds like quail, dove, pheasant. Rabbit and squirrel is pretty fun also. Went deer hunting but never liked it much. Success ratio is to low. Lots of sitting in cold, pre-dawn misery.

Turkey is the biggest game I go for.

I never thought I would meet another coon hunter in my life Tonk! Most people, when you tell them you 'coon hunt just look at you funny. You use dogs? I went a couple of times with friends that had dogs. We went at dusk and continued into the night. I don't know if it was legal but it was fun.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  I absolutely despise when people say they don't like hunting because it's cruel to take an animals life like that, while they're eating a Big Mac.
                  It is cruel. A good part of the time the animal lives after being shot and you have to dispose of them by some other method. They could suffer for minutes, even hours for big game. But we are humans and we must do cruel things to live. Slaughter house are cruel as well. Hunting just makes it personal, which is better if you ask me.

What I never liked where those that hunted that didn't recognize this fact. That do not appreciate what the taking of life to sustain life means.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    It is cruel. A good part of the time the animal lives after being shot and you have to dispose of them by some other method. They could suffer for minutes, even hours for big game. But we are humans and we must do cruel things to live. Slaughter house are cruel as well. Hunting just makes it personal, which is better if you ask me.

What I never liked where those that hunted that didn't recognize this fact. That do not appreciate what the taking of life to sustain life means.
                    My 300 Weatherby Mag maintains over 2000 ft-lbs of energy past 500 yards. a .270 Winchester will have about 1600-2000Ft-lbs of energy at 200 yards. the 300 has a MV of 3500(ish) FPS a Cartridge like that will put any animal in north america on the ground at 100 yards. I've never had an elk run more then 200 feet from where i shot it and a lot of the time they just drop. I hit a elk from 100 yards in the Vitals area and snapped its neck. Hunting isn't cruel unless you make it cruel, War is cruel. When an animal isn't dead from the first shot the moment i get to it (within 5-10 minutes every time) It get's shot in the head and my family has 200-400 lbs of fresh Elk that will last for at least 6 months

Edit: you must spread some reputation around before giving it to The Khan again

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
                      My 300 Weatherby Mag maintains over 2000 ft-lbs of energy past 500 yards. a .270 Winchester will have about 1600-2000Ft-lbs of energy at 200 yards. the 300 has a MV of 3500(ish) FPS a Cartridge like that will put any animal in north america on the ground at 100 yards. I've never had an elk run more then 200 feet from where i shot it and a lot of the time they just drop. I hit a elk from 100 yards in the Vitals area and snapped its neck. Hunting isn't cruel unless you make it cruel, War is cruel. When an animal isn't dead from the first shot the moment i get to it (within 5-10 minutes every time) It get's shot in the head and my family has 200-400 lbs of fresh Elk that will last for at least 6 months

Edit: you must spread some reputation around before giving it to The Khan again
                      Cruelty is the imparting of pain or suffering. Hunting imparts that no matter how you want to look at it.

You may be able to make a perfect shot every time from the first shot ever fired. Good for you but that puts you in a rarefied place. And come on, you could have a perfect shot and the elk could spook right after you pull the trigger and you miss the vitals such that it doesn't die immediately. The 5-10 minutes it takes you to get there and finish the job is suffering and pain for the animal. And if that was to happen I don't think you would shoot the animal again, right? You would slit its throat. At least that is the way I was taught growing up. Don't want to ruin the meat or the trophy any more than you have to. (Taking a second shot at an animal that is getting away is acceptable.)

And that 200ft the animal runs, you think it is just frolicking? No, it is in pain and running for it's life.

But even so you are talking about one type of prey with one method of killing. There are many forms of hunting.

Take small birds like quail and dove. If you tell me you will hit every bird perfectly such that they will drop from the sky instantly dead you are simply wrong. Some are just going to be wounded. And some of those wounded are going to fly to far to track and they will die a long and painful death.

Or what if you want to do a little bow hunting? A instant kill is rare in bow hunting. Often you have to track them for miles and hours to claim the kill.

I am not saying hunting is bad. I enjoy it. But it is often cruel. Good hunters try to minimize that cruelty but it can't always be avoided and I would hope they would have a some empathy for the animal for which death and pain was inflicted.

Maybe you are thinking of sadistic? (the deriving of pleasure from cruelty) There are sadistic hunters, of course.
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        Cruelty is the imparting of pain or suffering. Hunting imparts that no matter how you want to look at it.

You may be able to make a perfect shot every time from the first shot ever fired. Good for you but that puts you in a rarefied place. And come on, you could have a perfect shot and the elk could spook right after you pull the trigger and you miss the vitals such that it doesn't die immediately. The 5-10 minutes it takes you to get there and finish the job is suffering and pain for the animal. And if that was to happen I don't think you would shoot the animal again, right? You would slit its throat. At least that is the way I was taught growing up. Don't want to ruin the meat or the trophy any more than you have to. (Taking a second shot at an animal that is getting away is acceptable.)

And that 200ft the animal runs, you think it is just frolicking? No, it is in pain and running for it's life.

But even so you are talking about one type of prey with one method of killing. There are many forms of hunting.

Take small birds like quail and dove. If you tell me you will hit every bird perfectly such that they will drop from the sky instantly dead you are simply wrong. Some are just going to be wounded. And some of those wounded are going to fly to far to track and they will die a long and painful death.

Or what if you want to do a little bow hunting? A instant kill is rare in bow hunting. Often you have to track them for miles and hours to claim the kill.

I am not saying hunting is bad. I enjoy it. But it is often cruel. Good hunters try to minimize that cruelty but it can't always be avoided and I would hope they would have a some empathy for the animal for which death and pain was inflicted.

Maybe you are thinking of sadistic? (the deriving of pleasure from cruelty) There are sadistic hunters, of course.

Well, when one bow hunts, one typically finds a spot to wait and stays there for the rest of the time, typically in a tree or stand. Bows have a short firing range, so when one fires it at the target, they tend to be right on target.

For those who believes man is an advanced animal, why do other animals play with their injured play?

Well, the Enfield Mk 5 I have was used in World War 2- never did get the bayonet... the bayonet is like $250 dollars, so... still use the iron sights. :row__573:

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                          Well, when one bow hunts, one typically finds a spot to wait and stays there for the rest of the time, typically in a tree or stand. Bows have a short firing range, so when one fires it at the target, they tend to be right on target.
                          Yes. But regardless of whether you stalk or hunt from a stand it isn't often that the shot kills quickly. Even with a heart shot I have heard of a whitetail going about a hundred yards before it dropped.

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                          For those who believes man is an advanced animal, why do other animals play with their injured play?
                          Because it is entertaining? For some animals they allow the "babies" to play so that they learn could be another answer.

But hopefully humans have empathy. They also realize their own mortality.

Comment

When not hunting the two legged animals for a living, I enjoy spending quality time hunting all kinds of game. I hunt everything from migratory birds to turkey to big game, but only the ones I enjoy eating. I am adamant about only hunting things I eat and always eat what I shoot. I never go for the trophy, but I do go for the challenge of the hunt. Most of my freezer is filled with all natural animals that I have harvested from the wild.

As for guns, that would be a whole separate thread with all the I currently own and have collected.

Now I am not knocking anyone’s perspective on the way they view hunters, that is your choice. Most people do not share in the same values or beliefs in anything in life and hunting is definitely no different. Me personally, I think is much more inhumane to slaughter animals which have no chance of life versus the ability for wild game to be selectively harvested. As for the cruelty of it, a fairly quick death as a result of a bow shot from me is much less painful than a pack of wild animals feeding on some naturally wounded game.
                            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                              It is cruel.
                              I see your point, but my point was that it isn't as cruel as the way the meat industry treats animals.

And you're absolutely right about making it personal. That's a big part of what I meant when I said I want him to know where meat comes from...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X