WTH Just happened in the NV Primary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH Just happened in the NV Primary?

I figure I might as well keep up the theme of things (similar title to the NH thread). In this thread, we examine why the media calls Hillary Clinton the winner in NV when Barack Obama earned more delegates. I believe Barack had 13 to Hillary's 12.

Now, I'm not a fan of any type of "electoral college" system... but as I recall the delegates are all that truly matters right? The popular vote in that particular primary (the nevada primary) isnt the be-all-end-all. If it's close enough (which it was) then many times the delegate/college wins out. That's exactly what seems to have happened in NV.

Did the media change their tune after the Bush/Gore debocle? Are we suddenly a popular voting society? hmmmm

And what's this stuff about they're not counted till April? I are confused.

Anyways, if you look at the total delegate count, I believe Obama is ahead by 2. Yet the media spins it like Hillary is clearly ahead. (scratches head)

Another thing I found out, there's a buttload of delegates that get counted that have NOTHING to do with the States themselves. You could conceivably get fairly wide margin of victory for a candidate, only to have that victory swiped away by these "super-delegates" the party has. (scratches head again)

<sigh>
    This whole political system needs to be nuked... this crap is ridiculous

p.s.
    How much will we see candidates spin this between when delegates matter and when the people's votes matter. Of course, in the NV primary Hillary was all about the people's vote - yet before the primary she was all about the Delegates. hmmm

Re: WTH Just happened in the NV Primary?

I would assume it has to do with the super delegates, whom supported Obama, combined with some of the delegates from the caucusing while Clinton got fewer super delegates, however, won the majority of the districts.

Comment

There's also the interesting story that Edwards' delegates can get shifted from one party to another post-caucus. I dont think Edwards earned any delegates in NV though did he?

Fact is, Obama won more districts (i.e. broader base) than Hillary and therefore won the most delegates for the State. NV is done by County; i.e. each county has a say. When taken as a WHOLE, NV actually preferrred Obama. If you just looked at Vegas then obviously Hillary wins (errr.. it's a tie).

Where the super delegates come into play is that they're "supposedly" partial to voting for the candidate who won the popular vote. I'm not sure of this though. CNN projects Hillary ahead when including super-delegates.

(sigh)
      this crap is assenine

Comment

Don't forget the equally bizarre republican race in Nevada, where Ron Paul (!!) of all people came in second!

Updated republican standings:

Code:
            Place  1  2  3  Non-place

Romney     3  2  0  1

McCain     2  1  1  2

Huckabee   1  1  2  2

Thompson   0  1  2  3  (Dropped Out after SC)

Ron Paul   0  1  0  5

Hunter     0  0  1  5

Giuliani   0  0  0  6
        I don't think Giuliani's doing too well. He was the frontrunner for awhile some time back, and now he's coming in behind Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter! Also, Fred Thompson just announced he's dropping out of the race like 10 minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
          I don't think Giuliani's doing too well. He was the frontrunner for awhile some time back, and now he's coming in behind Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter! Also, Fred Thompson just announced he's dropping out of the race like 10 minutes ago.
          'Course he's doing well. He's running around the country getting free money from people for merely telling them how awesome he is. Any way you slice it, he comes out on top.

You didnt actually think Giuliani himself actually thought he'd get elected did you? Either he's there to take votes from a frontrunner or he's there to make money... and nothing more.

Comment

You...uh...have no idea how much money it costs to RUN a presidential campaign, do you? Runnning for president has never been a way to earn money.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
              You...uh...have no idea how much money it costs to RUN a presidential campaign, do you? Runnning for president has never been a way to earn money.
              The more expensive it is, the more money they (and others) make. It's an endless trail of wasted speculative capital. Even if a candidate somehow is in the hole financially (and didnt cheat his ledger, which is unlikely), he's gained so much support and media coverage that he/she can effectively parlay that into a nice living.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                The more expensive it is, the more money they (and others) make. It's an endless trail of wasted speculative capital. Even if a candidate somehow is in the hole financially (and didnt cheat his ledger, which is unlikely), he's gained so much support and media coverage that he/she can effectively parlay that into a nice living.
                When has this happened recently?
                ---------------
                Doc-in-training

Comment

Oh, it turns out Duncan Hunter also dropped out after Nevada. I didn't notice until now because nobody bothered to report on it -- I guess they all considered him too unimportant.

Code:
                      Place  1  2  3  Non-place

Romney     3  2  0  1

McCain     2  1  1  2

Huckabee   1  1  2  2

Ron Paul   0  1  0  5

Giuliani   0  0  0  6

Thompson   0  1  2  3  (Dropped Out after South Carolina)

Hunter     0  0  1  4  (Dropped Out after Nevada)

Tancredo   0  0  0  0  (Dropped out before first voting)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X