Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuifq...eature=related

With videos like this it makes me wonder why we are fighting. Is it really worth the pain?

To all the men and women who have faught and died over seas.
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Re: Is it worth it?

I find this offensive...
    Skud

Comment

It's one thing to be against the Iraq War, but this video is disgusting.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I think I'd rather not watch. I'm in a good mood and don't want to jazz that up. Would anyone mind summarizing?

Comment

I'm on a computer with no sound. I just see war images, and have no idea what's "offensive" or "disgusting" about them. It would help if the criticisms were a bit more concrete.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Any video that takes pride or any credit in killing American soldiers in Iraq just shouldnt be put on TG.

A video made by the "iraqi people" about how many M1 Abrams tanks have been damaged or destroyed in Iraq is just offensive and doesnt not serve any justice to our men and women serving in Iraq.
            Skud

Comment

Know your enemy.

Rather than remove the video, I think it's more instructive to understand why someone would create it in the first place, and why they think that way. You can't have any hope of changing their views if you don't see how they got there.

The way to fight bad information is with good information. Once we understand what got them thinking that way, we can counter with information (including videos) that work the same way but in our favor.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I dunno, this video was crap. The creators seemed to have trouble differentiating between destroyed Abrams and completely toasted T-72's. I agree with everyone else. This thread is our monthly quota of fail.

Also, just to add to the 'discussion', if it's taken badly edited insurgent propaganda to make you wonder why we're fighting in Iraq, I've got to ask where the hell have you been the last five years? I think I'd be looking a little closer to home (i.e. our current administration--both sides of the aisle) to make me wonder why we're fighting in Iraq still or why we even started in the first place. Or so I've been told.
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

It really has nothing to do with the administration at this point. Everyone thinks that regardless of who wins the next presidential election, we're going to see this magical pull out of Iraq. WRONG. We have to stay there until they have a stable government and police force, which could take a decade at this rate.

As far as the video goes, I also find it offensive. If it were a video showing families hugging and crying when their loved ones left, or a scene depicting the heartache felt by those who have been injured or lost someone due to the war, it would be one thing. But this video glorifies the destruction of US assets and the death of US personnel. While the video doesnt necessarily differentiate whose tanks are whose as rincewind pointed out, the message in the video is clear. Something like this upsets me and is an affront to all those who have served and continue to serve our country.

Comment

Guys im sorry i never meant anyone to get offended. What i meant by this video is that with things that are in this video and all the horrible things in it, we have to remember the men and women that are fighting for Iraq and the freedom and all the sacrifices. I wasnt looking for people to be hurt or extremely offended. I was just wondering if all these men and women that might have pased in these tanks were necessary sacrifcies. I didnt want anyone to get the wrong picture about this. I am not against anyone in any way nor do i think that ANYTHING in this video is funny. I was really depressed at the end of this and i im sorry if your offened. Take this out completely. delete it.

Sorry x1000
                    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

There's just a lot of kneejerk reactions going on gijoe, this video isn't really that offensive. It is what it is...the grim reality of the situation. Truth be told, there really are two sides to this war, ours and theirs. I'm not sympathetic to any cause. On one hand I don't believe we had any business being there to begin with. On the other, my neice was held down for 30 days in Mosul by a Russian sniper. The rabbit hole is much deeper than most people realize. There really is no way out of this.
                      | | |

Comment

$7M tanks that cost $400 per mile to operate. I had no idea so much of my money is being blown up by $25 road side bombs and being turned into toilets. I wish images of what is going on over there were available through our media. If they were, our military would have been home a long time ago.

Comment

**** that movie. I don't care about my language.....even though it is censored, you can imagine what I said ;)

I saw like 20 seconds of it, disgusting.
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

$7M tanks that cost $400 per mile to operate. I had no idea so much of my money is being blown up by $25 road side bombs and being turned into toilets. I wish images of what is going on over there were available through our media. If they were, our military would have been home a long time ago.
                            If that many tanks were being destroyed, I would sure as hell want to hear a lot more about it than that what (one?) tank I've heard about being destroyed on cnn in the past year. I wouldn't take this propaganda video as concrete evidence that all these tanks have been completely destroyed, but getting an accurate figure on the damage being done over there will likely be very hard to come by until the war is long over. Although I can't imagine it as being that unlikely, due to the (over?) half trillion we've spent there so far.

I'm not really offended, as I'm sure many Iraqis would be offended by the numerous "ass kicking" American military videos:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okX8IX4ybZI[/media]
                            [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2c7uoAsJYw[/media]
                            [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSiXIlbCVw[/media]
                            [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7oscBiyW3g[/media]

I suppose you could consider it a similar situation when a U.S soldier makes a video of his buddies shooting up buildings and airstrikes, versus someone in an Sunni insurgent group who shows American tanks being blown up. Albeit it seems a bit harder to find similar videos coming from American soldiers, since we're fighting groups that don't fight with tanks.
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              We have to stay there until they have a stable government and police force, which could take a decade at this rate.
                              You say this like it's an obvious conclusion. Pardon my stupidity, but it's not so obvious to me.

From what I've heard, the people who are most popular there are the ones allied with Iran, so a "democratic" election would vote in the people we don't want. Hence, we can't allow real democracy there, if we don't want Iran running the place.

And for some reason we're not willing to split the country in 3, so the various major sects (including Kurds) can have their own country. I'm not privy to why a single country remains important, unless it's to protect alliances with other countries that don't like the minorities that we'd empower.

There's of course the oil issue: If we walk out and they lock us out of their oil, we might have to drill for it in our own country. Wow, what a terrible thing that would be.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X