X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abolish direct presidential election

An interesting proposal here:

http://ca.lp.org/lp20071217.shtml

it is madness for a mass of voters to elect presidents they know little about and whom they cannot control once in office. We should therefore abolish presidential elections rather than seek to reform our inherently dysfunctional mass democracy.
    we get better government if power is decentralized as much as possible. It would be best for voters to only elect neighborhood councils made up of individuals whom they can know personally, then have these councils elect higher-level councils, and so on up to the highest level, Congress, which would then elect the president, like prime ministers are elected in parliamentary systems. Elected officials could be recalled at any time by the lower-level council that elected them.
    My own preference is for proxy-based direct democracy, at least to replace the House and Senate and other legislative bodies. I found a good description of the concept here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delegable_proxy
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Abolish direct presidential election

"Delegable proxy was originally designed for small, stealthy, distributed teams of anarchist kung-fu badasses" - Wiki..

I am all for it!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

... but we don't directly elect the president now.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
        Exactly. However, most people do not realize that.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

a mere technicality

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
            Well, when we do, we could progress beyond that. It's quite simple really.
            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

It strikes me that this system would require an enormous amount of manpower and beaurocracy to maintain. The total number of elected representatives required would be astounding. And higher level reps would nearly always be elected from among the ranks of the lower level reps, thus preserving the dynastic nature of politics -- career politicians would be the only ones capable of reaching high levels.

I dunno, seems kinda fishy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                a mere technicality
                Yes, but a more interesting question would be....how many states does a candidate actually have to receive electoral votes from to win? Has anyone worked out the fewest number?
                http://www.fec.gov/pages/elecvote.htm
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                  Yes, but a more interesting question would be....how many states does a candidate actually have to receive electoral votes from to win? Has anyone worked out the fewest number?
                  http://www.fec.gov/pages/elecvote.htm
                  *Counts*

11, if you take only those states with the greatest number of votes:

Georgia
                  New Jersey
                  North Carolina
                  Michigan
                  Ohio
                  Illinois
                  Pennsylvania
                  Florida
                  New York
                  Texas
                  California

Then again, when was the last time the same candidate won both Texas and California?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                    *Counts*

11, if you take only those states with the greatest number of votes:

Georgia
                    New Jersey
                    North Carolina
                    Michigan
                    Ohio
                    Illinois
                    Pennsylvania
                    Florida
                    New York
                    Texas
                    California
                    Yep. Assuming they were all the "All or Nothing" with their Electorate. So out of 50 states, 11 can decide the presidency. Don't tell Gore supporters. :)
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

This seems like as good a place as any to update my list of Republican standings:

Code:
                          Place  1  2  3  Non-place

Romney     3  3  0  1

McCain     3  1  1  2

Huckabee   1  1  2  3

Ron Paul   0  1  0  6

Giuliani   0  0  1  6  (Dropped Out after Florida)

Thompson   0  1  2  3  (Dropped Out after South Carolina)

Hunter     0  0  1  4  (Dropped Out after Nevada)

Tancredo   0  0  0  0  (Dropped out before first voting)
                      The field is shrinking rapidly. Romney still has the best place record, but McCain has the lead in delegates since Florida carried so many.

Comment

Which is terrible. With the loss of Fred, Mitt's the only conservative left. The rest seem to be liberals trying to run for president of Mexico. Which is probably why he got my state -- it's full of Español, liberals, and old people who do what TV tells them to do.

What chaos it is that someone can form a presidential candidacy platform on not-enforcing standing federal law.

The good news is the liberal media is afraid of Mitt. They will hardly show his face on TV while they talk MexiCain everywhere. Clearly they know which candidate they want the Hillary/Obama ticket to face at year's end.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                          Which is terrible. With the loss of Fred, Mitt's the only conservative left. The rest seem to be liberals trying to run for president of Mexico. Which is probably why he got my state -- it's full of Español, liberals, and old people who do what TV tells them to do.

What chaos it is that someone can form a presidential candidacy platform on not-enforcing standing federal law.

The good news is the liberal media is afraid of Mitt. They will hardly show his face on TV while they talk MexiCain everywhere. Clearly they know which candidate they want the Hillary/Obama ticket to face at year's end.
                          Wait, wait... you lost me with that second sentence.
                          Since when in Huckabee liberal?
                          [volun2]
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

So, instead of electing a president "we know nothing about," we would elect people we probably don't know a whole lot more about, who would then elect other people we know nothing about, who would then elect other people we know nothing about, and so on until we end up with a rabid possum in head office?

I like this plan.

Comment

HEY! Some of my best friends are rabid possums.
                              [volun2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X