Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berkeley council tells Marines to leave

Berkeley council tells Marines to leave

...(T)he Berkeley City Council...voted 6-3 Tuesday night to tell the U.S. Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

In addition, the council voted to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines because of the military's don't ask, don't tell policy. And it officially encouraged the women's peace group Code Pink to impede the work of the Marines in the city by protesting in front of the station.

In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.
    A classic example of supporting the troops, just not the war.

Re: Berkeley council tells Marines to leave

If you give the city to power to ban pr0n joints, bars, and push cart vendors, then you give them this power, too. Take that power away from them, and leave the businesses alone.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It's freaking Berkeley, what do you expect?

Comment

I live across the bay in San Francisco and it gets pretty crazy here too.

Here are a few measures that I have seen in the past 4 years.

Civil rights for dogs.
        Public lands for Pot farms, so the poor can get their medicine.
        Throw military recruiters out of public schools.
        Cancel fleet week, Itís a big US navy celebration and public display.

As far as Berkeley it really is just another Bay area town. Itís a bit run down these days and not even close to the hippie mecha it was 30 years ago. The City council is made up of a bunch of old and angry hippies/yuppies.

NOTE: A Hippie/Yuppie is a Hippy that put their college (Berkeley) education to good use and can now afford to run for public office and keep bitching into their senior years about all those evils in the world that they themselves have profited from.
        I have a whole library of Hippie types I see in the bay area.

Sarcoma
        Sarcoma.

Comment

Infuriating...disappointing.. sickening.
          This is where the Black Van squad would work out well...
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., says the City of Berkeley, Calif., no longer deserves federal money.

DeMint was angered after learning that the Berkeley City Council voted this week to tell the U.S. Marine Corps to remove its recruiting station from the city's downtown.

"This is a slap in the face to all brave service men and women and their families," DeMint said in a prepared statement. "The First Amendment gives the City of Berkeley the right to be idiotic, but from now on they should do it with their own money."

"If the city can’t show respect for the Marines that have fought, bled and died for their freedom, Berkeley should not be receiving special taxpayer-funded handouts," he added.

In the meantime, a senior Marine official tells FOX News that the Marine office in Berkeley isn't going anywhere.

"We understand things are different there, but some people just don't get it. This is a part of the military machine that gives them the right to do what they do, but what they are doing is extreme," the official said.
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              Berkeley council tells Marines to leave

A classic example of supporting the troops, just not the war.

I can't support troops that support the war.

I guess they can't either.

Before, I guess I would've said "well I support the troops, its not their decision to be fighting this war.."

But now I place the responsibility squarely on their heads. They're the ones pulling the trigger. So I think what they're doing in Berkeley is certainly moving in the right direction.

Deny them the right to use taxpayer's money to suck in more innocent lives and turn them into murderers. No, not soldiers. Murderers. This whole war has just been one huge excuse for a bunch of cowboys to get their jockstraps wet.

They all know what they're doing is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SFGate
                "I'm ashamed of my vote," said Councilwoman Betty Olds, who helped approve the parking spot but not the condemnation. "The protesters should have free speech - this is where Free Speech was born, after all - but to tell the Marines they are not welcome is shameful. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't even go for the parking spot."

Councilwoman Dona Spring, however, said she would love to step up the pressure even more against the Marine recruiting office.

"We're not condemning the men and women who serve, we are condemning the U.S. policy that is teaching the Marines and other military people to torture, oust other countries' political leaders and do other evil things."
                I agree with Betty Olds, but I'm confused about the vote - were the measures (Pink and Marines) linked? Why did she vote for it? The Code Pink protestors and the recruiting office both have an equal right to be there. To grant one and deny another is unfair. Looking at Dona Spring's quote, attempting to bar a recruitment office in a singular community really doesn't do anything to condemn U.S. policy because the U.S. Marines (or any other armed forces branch) are not the ones who make the policies, nor the decisions to enforce those policies.

Comment

What a bunch of jerks. And canceling fleet week? That'd be disgustingly unpatriotic. I can understand them protesting the war, but don't kill the sailors morale in order to do so. That is definitely not being against the war while supporting the troops. This is a straight slap in their face. I'd go crazy if I had to live in that part of the world (bay area). If I ever have to go there, which I actually do want to visit someday, I'd have to go like Cartman did in "Smug Alert!" My hat goes off to you Sarcoma. You a truly brave soul for living there. Godspeed my friend. Godspeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert
                  Fantastic South Park episode. And so so true.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Well War.Monger now that ive started my family me and the wife and kid are outa here. Ill not miss the BS or the cost of living or Berkely for that matter.

Sarcoma, looking for a nice big hospital someplace else.

ever been to Rochester MN? I hear Mayo Clinic is pretty nice
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

There's a pretty big medical center in Houston if you'd like pretty much the opposite of San Francisco in every way.

For example, I love visiting SF but I wouldn't want to live there. I love living in Houston but I can't imagine why anyone would come here for a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
                        Well War.Monger now that ive started my family me and the wife and kid are outa here. Ill not miss the BS or the cost of living or Berkely for that matter.

Sarcoma, looking for a nice big hospital someplace else.

ever been to Rochester MN? I hear Mayo Clinic is pretty nice
                        Lots of great hospitals in Massachusetts but I'm afraid the cost of living isn't much lower here in the Metro Boston area.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

My mom used to be the CO of Naval Recruiting District San Francisco (she was in charge of all the navy/marine corps recruiting in northern california/western nevada) and she had to deal with the idiots in berkeley all the time. It actually got bad enough that she had to have 4 full time Oakland PD officers at the command all the time (it was in the middle of downtown oakland) because people would regularly try to break into the building and cause damage and also get into the parking lot and mess with the recruiters cars.

Comment

Originally posted by mentholated View Post
                            I can't support troops that support the war.

I guess they can't either.

Before, I guess I would've said "well I support the troops, its not their decision to be fighting this war.."

But now I place the responsibility squarely on their heads. They're the ones pulling the trigger. So I think what they're doing in Berkeley is certainly moving in the right direction.

Deny them the right to use taxpayer's money to suck in more innocent lives and turn them into murderers. No, not soldiers. Murderers. This whole war has just been one huge excuse for a bunch of cowboys to get their jockstraps wet.

They all know what they're doing is wrong.

Wow...I had to read this twice. I am no damn murderer sir! My brother was not a murderer! How dare you accuse all members of the military as "a bunch of cowboys to get their jockstraps wet". I am so pissed off right now...words cannot express my anger!
                            "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                              Wow...I had to read this twice. I am no damn murderer sir! My brother was not a murderer! How dare you accuse all members of the military as "a bunch of cowboys to get their jockstraps wet". I am so pissed off right now...words cannot express my anger!
                              Amazing eh? We can be murderers together, dude. I'm officially over to Okinawa here in a week and half. Was down in Pensacola for this week. Too bad you arnt still around this area. We could go eat live babies together. Delicious.

On topic: California is strange. But...hey, if thats what the people want...whatever. How much marine recruiting HONESTLY comes out of berkley anyway? They probably get like 1 dude a year. Also, good for the Marines for not backing off. Not that its in their nature.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X