Shop pulls "Lolita" bed for young girls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop pulls "Lolita" bed for young girls

LONDON (Reuters) - A chain of retail stores in Britain has withdrawn the sale of beds named Lolita
    and designed for six-year-old girls after furious parents pointed out that the name was synonymous with sexually active pre-teens.

Woolworths said staff who administer the web site selling the beds were not aware of the connection.
    Furious? Was there an optional lil' whore s&m kit or something?

Re: Shop pulls "Lolita" bed for young girls

guess i need to update my innuendo dictionary with this one.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Wrong island nation. Market it in Japan. They tolerate, if not encourage, that sort of thing over there.

Comment

The staff wasn't aware of the connection? Oh come on, somebody had to chuckle a little bit over it...
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

Originally posted by RedForman View Post
          The staff wasn't aware of the connection? Oh come on, somebody had to chuckle a little bit over it...
          I don't see how they can name something without knowing what it means. What if it had been some sort of new swear word or something...?
          And why do they need to name the beds anyway? Why not just call it 'wooden frame bed 6ft long' or whatever.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

"And why do they need to name the beds anyway?"

Because if you name it you can trademark it and trademarks are assets. In other words, why not just call Coca-cola "carbonated water solution of phosphoric acid and sugar goo scraped from corn processing tanks"?

Comment

Note that the store did not name the product line, they just bought it from a supplier and stuck it on the shelves. They have since pulled it off the shelves.

It is entirely possible, although somewhat unlikely, that the retail store actually didn't know about the connection. The supplier on the other hand actually named the thing, and they had to know what they were doing. So you've got to wonder what they were thinking when they named this bed set...

(The article interviewed employees of the retail store, but not the supplier that created the Lolita bed.)

Comment

I recall seeing some Jay Leno "man in the street" interviews. The owners of that store could be 10 times more informed that Leno's examples and still not know about Lolita. (And these are the people who are selecting the President. The Leno ones, not the retailer.)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X