Super Tuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Tuesday

Super Tuesday is almost upon us! We've just passed the last single-state vote before Super Tuesday with barely a murmur -- Romney won 1st place in Maine, with McCain a distant 2nd and Ron Paul right behind him in 3rd. The Democrats don't vote in Maine till next week though, so they're charging right into the nationwide vote.

Code:
        Place  1  2  3  Non-place

Romney     4  3  0  1

McCain     3  2  1  2

Huckabee   1  1  2  4

Ron Paul   0  1  1  6

Giuliani   0  0  1  6  (Dropped Out after Florida)

Thompson   0  1  2  3  (Dropped Out after South Carolina)

Hunter     0  0  1  4  (Dropped Out after Nevada)

Tancredo   0  0  0  0  (Dropped out before first voting)
    For the Repubs, Romney is still out in front in number of high finishes, but the delegate count is about equal due to Florida going for McCain. With 5 times as many delegates up tomorrow as have gone out already, it could go in any direction from here...

Re: Super Tuesday

Are any of you republicans truly happy with the candidates? From my perspective they all have vastly different strengths, with no one candidate actually being a clear winner. Romney is a slick CIO, slicker than Clinton, to the point of being discomforting. McCain is a little too easygoing and he's a little senile. Huckabee has amazing presence but clearly has some issues with reality. Ron Paul is simply too much of a thinker for the Presidency and doesn't appeal at all to hard-liners.

If you could only take a little of all of them, you'd have a fantastic candidate. Instead, it seems you have a bunch of parts from which you are supposed to choose one.

Simply going on the overall package, the democrats have two all-around strong candidates, and the republicans have a bunch of pieces.

Comment

I think Obama is the strongest general election candidate by far, with McCain the second strongest. However, this being a year that with intrinsic Democratic advantages, I think it'll be hard for Republicans to win the general regardless. Even if Hillary - the weaker of the two Democrats - wins the nomination.

Back to Super Tuesday, I think it'll be a landslide for McCain and a squeeker between Hillary and Obama. The polls favor Hillary, but Obama might pull out a surprise.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
        Are any of you republicans truly happy with the candidates? From my perspective they all have vastly different strengths, with no one candidate actually being a clear winner. Romney is a slick CIO, slicker than Clinton, to the point of being discomforting. McCain is a little too easygoing and he's a little senile. Huckabee has amazing presence but clearly has some issues with reality. Ron Paul is simply too much of a thinker for the Presidency and doesn't appeal at all to hard-liners.

If you could only take a little of all of them, you'd have a fantastic candidate. Instead, it seems you have a bunch of parts from which you are supposed to choose one.

Simply going on the overall package, the democrats have two all-around strong candidates, and the republicans have a bunch of pieces.
        I'm not happy with any of them other than Ron Paul and maybe Huckabee as a come-upper. The rest really don't have anything useful to offer, just more of the same in a new body.

I don't like any of the Democrats though. Obama is just a smooth talker and Hillary.. well shes just a programmed lifeform.

Comment

They did do this..He is called the Govinator....

I think that Tuesday will be very interesting. I just read that McCain is not that far ahead of Romney in CA. After living in a Romney goverened state (only by name as he was really absent for most of it), I can honestly say I would rather live on the moon. The chameleon might fool a lot of people, but his spots are beginning to show through.

Get out and Vote!
          "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

@ Tybalt:

I disagree on McCain being strong in the general. I think he's one of the weakest Republican candidates for the general election, since for all that he has lots of support among independants and moderates, he has extremely low support from actual Conservative voters. Despite his insanity, I think even Ron Paul would do better than McCain in the general election. Of course, that might just be a happy delusion on my part...

I'm not quite sure how you come to the conclusion that McCain will take Super Tuesday in a landslide. Yes, the press announced him as inevitable after Florida, but they also announced him as inevitable after South Carolina, and sometime last year before his campaign fell apart the first time around -- and Romney's stayed neck-and-neck with him the whole time, and still has more first-place finishes.

Speaking of polls, the polls for this primary season have been farther off-base than any set of polls for any election I can remember. Not always in the same direction either -- I think the Iowa polls showed Hillary winning, and then Obama cleaned up. Then the New Hampshire polls showed Obama taking round 2, but Hillary won by a good margin. Its hard to say which direction they'll be off, but I don't think the Democratic side will be nearly as close as the polls predict. My guess would be for Hillary.

Comment

I actually agree with you on most of this, with the exception that I'd rate the Democratic candidates as all-around weak instead of all-around strong, but thats just because I'm not a democrat. :row__523:

My perception is that Romney has a few more good pieces than the others, but the ideal candidate is definately not there. At least not any more...some of the candidates who had to drop out early actually had some pretty solid records.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                some of the candidates who had to drop out early actually had some pretty solid records.
                I agree with you here, Richardson was the most experienced and had teh best recrd to date. It is a shame that he did not generate more support.

I would be careful about stating that Romnety has more good pieces... It would depend on which day, as he tends to go back and forth quite frequently. Which in itself is not bad as you want people to stay informed and change your opinion if necessary. It is not necessary to change your opinion on every topic, depending on your location and audience as to garner support for your campaign though.
                "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                  I think Obama is the strongest general election candidate by far, with McCain the second strongest. However, this being a year that with intrinsic Democratic advantages, I think it'll be hard for Republicans to win the general regardless. Even if Hillary - the weaker of the two Democrats - wins the nomination.

Back to Super Tuesday, I think it'll be a landslide for McCain and a squeeker between Hillary and Obama. The polls favor Hillary, but Obama might pull out a surprise.
                  I agree with all of this, but I wonder about the general election. I had been thinking that it was pretty hopeless (from the "R" perspective) but now I don't know. I *think* that the party will pretty quickly fall in behind McCain, as I said before the NH primary. I also think that the Clinton/Obama race is going to be tightly matched, long, and bloody. There is a chance that by the time one or the other wins the nomination, the others' supporters will basically hate the winner.

More than they hate McCain? Hardly. McCain is unique in appealing more to Democrats than Republicans, so if he wins the R nomination and Billary and Oprama make enough sausage...

It's a shame they all can't lose.

Comment

The media is calling MexiCain "inevitable" because they know he can't win against Osama or Emowoman. Romney's officially on the march at this point; as long as Huckabee is recognized as a vote for MexiCain, Romney should have no trouble pushing through.

Think about it this way: Who would you NOT want to play poker against? An old goofball, a guy whos speeches are as full of logical fail as Bush's are full of grammatical fail, or a businessman who has a record of turning organisations around? From another angle, who would you loan your life savings to to play poker against Putin, Chavez, and Ahmadinejad?

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                      From another angle, who would you loan your life savings to to play poker against Putin, Chavez, and Ahmadinejad?
                      Thats a very interesting angle to consider, now that you mention it.

Comment

I am 17, soon to be 18, and I registered Republican. It came as a shock to probably 90% of my friends my age, as they figured I'd register Democrat.

I don't claim to be the most intelligent person, or the most informed, but I do hold myself to a good standard and believe I'm actually a good demographic indicator of my generations future republican voters.

I would never consider myself to be a conservative.

I'm a fan of Huckabee; But I won't be voting for him to be the next president of the United States. Huckabee has one downfall in my mind: he's too conservative. He appeals to much to Evangelicals and I honestly don't want that to interfere with the presidency. I do believe in good, solid moral values for America, but unfortunately there are too many religious fanatics that love Huckabee. I really appreciate his political skill and his friendly approach. Considering how much of a no-name he started out as, you can obviously see how well he's ran his campaign. He excels in many areas that I think a President should.. But he's just not fit to be president, and I say that as a supporter of him. Vice president? Oh jeez, that would be all too funny, but like John Edwards I think he can get more done on the Senate or Congressional level.

Romney is a snake (In my opinion). He's very brash; he's had alot of outbursts at the media. While I completely understand these outbursts, they're not appropriate. Romney is also just too conservative for me to vote for. He's just a baby boomer in my mind - And that's a very bad thing. In my opinion, he is only out to get elected to save his generation any grief. He's the standard stereotype of the republican party.

McCain...well I wasn't even all that interested in McCain until a couple months ago. His campaign was a mess. Bottom of the barrel. I started following him only because I remembered the same thing happening the last time he ran for president. McCain seems to be very moderate: Oh I love that word. I don't want a conservative president, I want a Republican. Not a conservative, a Republican. While there are alot of people who I've talked to that say he's been in politics too long and is too "sugary" if you want to put it that way, I think his experience goes a long way. And of course Romney jumps all over his Vietnam days, as GW Bush did to Kerry... But that's just it, Romney is jumping all over it. He's pounding it to the ground.

I am a supporter of John Edwards, also. I was each time he ran for president. Unfortunately he is out of the race. He was less partisan that the other Democrats, IMO.

I'm not one to comment on the Democrat side really, but I can't stand Hillary. Living in NY doesnt get her my vote, ever. It's not Democrat vs. Republican, she's just a...robot.

As for Obama. If he wins, good for him. I'd really look forward to a McCain/Obama in November.
                        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                          The media is calling MexiCain "inevitable" because they know he can't win against Osama or Emowoman. Romney's officially on the march at this point; as long as Huckabee is recognized as a vote for MexiCain, Romney should have no trouble pushing through.

Think about it this way: Who would you NOT want to play poker against? An old goofball, a guy whos speeches are as full of logical fail as Bush's are full of grammatical fail, or a businessman who has a record of turning organisations around? From another angle, who would you loan your life savings to to play poker against Putin, Chavez, and Ahmadinejad?
                          Romney would only bet half of your money and slip the other half in his pocket. Then he would be confused on what hand he was actually holding.. I have three 8's, uhh no I mean i have four sevens, um no you misunderstood me what I actually have is a full house. He stated that he left my state with a surplus, however in all actuality he left it with a rather large deficit. He is a snake and someone who cannot and will not tell the truth, how very un-Morman of him. He is not as fiscally responsible as everyone thinks he is, look at the facts and not what he is telling you.

I did LOL at all the references to Osamrah and Billery...way too funny.

Comment

Ron Paul's got my vote tomorrow without any doubts. It's a longshot that he'd win the nomination, but I've still got an ounce of hope what with the complexity of how the delegates vote and how close the race is with the other 3.

If November comes and we have a McCain vs Obama on our hands, I'll probably be biting my lip and giving in to Obama. Watching the debates, seeing him snicker at Ron Paul, laughing about being in Iraq for the next 100 years, I can't in clear conscience vote for the man.

Comment

I voted on Saturday for Obama. None of the republican candidates other than Ron Paul appeal to me.

Obama and Clinton have very similar policies, but I don't trust Clinton to follow through on their implementation. Even if she did, she's too partisan and divisive to get anything done.

While waiting in line to vote I noticed there were quite a few Obama supporters.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X