Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet! I live in America's most over priced suburb!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet! I live in America's most over priced suburb!

Cash dontations accepted.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/31/hou...?partner=email
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Sweet! I live in America's most over priced suburb!

I live in #2 in the south. Alexandria VA. Ugh.

Comment

Did they account for taxes and insurance in these places?

Comment

I never understood why people who live in the ghetto can't just walk out and go to a place that is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
          I never understood why people who live in the ghetto can't just walk out and go to a place that is better.
          Money.
          sigpic

Comment

Employment? Its not as if everyone can just walk away from whatever job they have and move. Or.. is it.

Comment

Nah, gumption. Read Grapes of Wrath. The Okies left their "ghetto" and moved to California, and everything was peachy after that. The basic message of that book is that if things aren't working out where you are, try moving.

Comment

I've lived all over the US. I go where the work is.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                  Nah, gumption. Read Grapes of Wrath. The Okies left their "ghetto" and moved to California, and everything was peachy after that. The basic message of that book is that if things aren't working out where you are, try moving.
                  Fortunately (for the Okies) there's no border patrol on that border.

I was just reading about this book in the February Reason magazine:

Let Their People Come: Breaking the Gridlock on Global Labor Mobility
                  Lant Pritchett
                  http://cgdev.org/content/publications/detail/10174/

In an increasingly liberalized and integrated global economy, with more open capital and goods and services markets, the highly restricted and heavily regulated markets for global labor are an oddity. In this controversial book, CGD non-resident fellow Lant Pritchett examines the potentials and perils of greater cross-border mobility of unskilled labor -- within poor world regions and between poor and rich countries. Pritchett argues that irresistible demographic forces for greater international labor mobility are being checked by immovable anti-immigration ideas of rich-country citizens. He highlights the difficult political and ethical issues that the movement of people across national borders presents to the current system and proposes breaking the gridlock through policies that support development while also being politically acceptable in rich countries. These include greater use of temporary worker permits, permit rationing, reliance on bilateral rather than multilateral agreements, and protection of migrants' fundamental human rights. Pritchett's discussion of ways to break the deadlock is a provocative contribution to the growing debate on one of the most important and difficult issues of the 21st century.
                  (Chapters of the book are available from the above link.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Harassment and certain overt practices.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X