X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion article from local paper

Originally posted by Troy Daily News

WE CAN LIVE WITH BAN ON ASSAULT WEAPONS

The 1994 ban on assault-style weapons and high-capacity clips that spew bullets at 30 rounds per second will expire on Monday. Although the president has said he would sign the assault weapons extension into law if Congress passed it, he has been silent on the issue, and the NRA is pulling out all the stops to ‘have the ban die and become nothing more than a footnote in history’ and assure there are never any restrictions on deadly weapons, for any reason, anytime. Their position is wrong.
    This newspaper has reported on the front pages the sad stories of Columbine, vicious attacks in Virginia, and Columbus; all with assault weapons that were modified or had been downgraded to be less dangerous than they could be.
    Hundreds of children died last week in Russia from the exact smae weapons currently banned-but ready to be released back into every corner gun store next week.

People with guns cause 90% of spinal injuries every year. Assault-style weapons have little use other than criminals and terrorists.
    Recent surveys also show that most voters support the ban, although the issue has received only minor play in the presidential debate.
    Kerry is blaming Bush for not pushing harder for the extension, but Bush says it would be defeated by Congress.
    “There are not the votes to pass the bill,” explained House majority Leader Tom DeLay, a Texas Republican, on Wednesday.
    We urge you to contact your congressman and senator, as well as the White House and demand that this sensible and modest restriction be extended, so that thousands of lives can too.
    Their sidebar also stated that "their" stand was "Assault style weapons are not necessary in the hands of the public and the ban should be extended"
    ...plus they list contact info for both Ohio senators, our local house rep, and White House contacts

My Reply

Re: Opinion article from local paper

Originally posted by phyllis
    People with guns cause 90% of spinal injuries every year.
    Anyone know where this stat came from? I've never heard it before and I don't understand it. If it's implying that 90% of spinal injuries are the result of gunshots, then it's incredibly unbelievable. If it's semantics (Pop Warner coach owns a gun and his team had 3 spinal injuries, therefore a person with a gun caused spinal injuries), then it's simply absurd... Is there another way to interpret it that I'm not thinking of?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I wanted to research and rebut that fact, but I didn't have the time. I'll look into it...but imagining sports injuries, or falls, or auto accidents, I can't imagine that 90% are due to firearms alone !

edit: ok...that only took a minute to get started...look here...
      http://www.cureparalysis.org/statistics/

I'm sure there are other sources to back this...

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
        Anyone know where this stat came from? I've never heard it before and I don't understand it. If it's implying that 90% of spinal injuries are the result of gunshots, then it's incredibly unbelievable. If it's semantics (Pop Warner coach owns a gun and his team had 3 spinal injuries, therefore a person with a gun caused spinal injuries), then it's simply absurd... Is there another way to interpret it that I'm not thinking of?
        Colonel Jerry Killian wrote a memo on it. 90% of spinal injuries are caused by "People with guns" not gunshots. Sure, they were snowboarding with a gun, but they had a gun!

Comment

nice job.... :icon14:
          New to TG?

Comment

The 1994 ban on assault-style weapons and high-capacity clips that spew bullets at 30 rounds per second will expire on Monday.
            He means automatic weapons that are already illegal even without the ban?

This newspaper has reported on the front pages the sad stories of Columbine, vicious attacks in Virginia, and Columbus; all with assault weapons that were modified or had been downgraded to be less dangerous than they could be.
            I love this argument because it's so stupid. I can modify a pistol with a 30-round clip to be full auto.

Hundreds of children died last week in Russia from the exact smae weapons currently banned-but ready to be released back into every corner gun store next week.
            So.... the gun being banned didn't stop terrorists from getting them..... and not having the ban wouldn't either..... wait a sec.

This isn't Russia, but this guy probably doesn't realize it anyways.

People with guns cause 90% of spinal injuries every year.
            I should sue his guy for making me spit Diet Pepsi all over my keyboard from laughing at this.

"People who drink water cause 100% of all deaths! BAN H20! It's the silent killer!"

Assault-style weapons have little use other than criminals and terrorists.
            Semantic BS. Define: style. I could do so much more damage with a sawed off mossberg or Glock 9mm than with an assault rifle. All it has is the scare factor if it's not full-auto (which is illegal anyways).

Without Full-auto an assault rifle is nothing but a glorifed hunting rifle.

We urge you to contact your congressman and senator, as well as the White House and demand that this sensible and modest restriction be extended, so that thousands of lives can too.
            I will: keep any guns away from felons, and give me all the semi-auto guns I want. Kinda like things are now.

Is this article a joke? Seriously, I can't tell if he's just making fun of anti-assault weapon debators or is actually serious.

Comment

My favorite part of Phil's reply

I'm asahmed that the Troy editorial staff would make the uninformed article you printed available to the public.
              Especially after the recent flap that CBS is receiving for showing a news story that was using documents that experts have said were forged and later reports from experts that CBS hired to examined them that claimed their opinions that the documents were not 100 percent authentic were ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                "People who drink water cause 100% of all deaths! BAN H20! It's the silent killer!"
                www.dhmo.org

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
                  Old School, that's actually where I got the idea from. Good call though. Shows how ignorant people can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                    My favorite part of Phil's reply

Especially after the recent flap that CBS is receiving for showing a news story that was using documents that experts have said were forged and later reports from experts that CBS hired to examined them that claimed their opinions that the documents were not 100 percent authentic were ignored.
                    I had to laugh when I saw the article...I had added that ...completely at the end...and it was just a note to the editors...I had no clue that would actually appear with the letter...though I have to commend them for printing it :)

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                      Is this article a joke? Seriously, I can't tell if he's just making fun of anti-assault weapon debators or is actually serious.
                      Yea..it was for real...I was furious when I read it...enough to write to the editor...I had never done that before...but it seems the media is becoming more and more into sensationalism, rather than facts...I couldn't let that one go.....

Comment

into every corner gun store next week.
                        nuff said,

ban the guns.

corner gun store, for crying out loud people get a grip on reality.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                          corner gun store, for crying out loud people get a grip on reality.
                          Are you joking, or are you serious as well? These arguements are so ridiculous, I can't even tell.

You think buying a gun is like walking into a 7/11 and buying a pack of chewing gum? This idiot author is flat-out lying (or is just so stupid, he's not even attempting to check his "facts.")

You also ignore the fact that the weapons banned under this are nothing but glorified hunting rifles, which a 30.06 would outperform.

Comment

well i know it isnt as easy as byuing a ten pack of marlboro and a snickers. but i seriously doubt that there is much need for a wanderful array of guns at ones disposal apart from an ego.

the only arguments for guns i have heard is militia, protecting ones self, and the flat out i cant be bothered to argue, its my civil liberty.

i understand having the odd hunting rifle, ok im not an idiot, people in my country hunt too.

but owning ar 15 automatic, and god damn 12 different pistols, its all ego man.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                              well i know it isnt as easy as byuing a ten pack of marlboro and a snickers. but i seriously doubt that there is much need for a wanderful array of guns at ones disposal apart from an ego.
                              The only restrictions are money and absense of a criminal record.

the only arguments for guns i have heard is militia, protecting ones self, and the flat out i cant be bothered to argue, its my civil liberty.
                              By guns, are we talking about bog-standard pistols, rifles, shotguns, assauly rifles, or all of them? There's a difference and I'll need to know what you feel people shouldn't own if I'm going to argue this.

but owning ar 15 automatic, and god damn 12 different pistols, its all ego man.
                              So is owning a Viper or Corvette. We don't stop people from buying them. We also don't assume all people who own fast cars break the law and kill people by running them over.

Handguns you might actually have an arguement against because they were designed for the specific purpose of killing people and are easily concealable. That's why they are much harder to get than a rifle or shotgun. This ban did nothing to help stem the flow of gun violence. If we are going to regulate guns: find a way that actually works.

Just remember this above everything else: automatic assault rifles were illegal before this ban was put into place. Any reference to a full-auto weapon is a red herring.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X