Fidel Castro Resigns as Cuba's Leader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fidel Castro Resigns as Cuba's Leader

Holy smokes! I'm amazed this topic hasn't been brought up yet! This is huge news! I wonder what this means for the future of Cuban-American relations. Hopefully things will improve. My personal opinion is that the embargo is kind of irrelevant these days. We supposedly don't deal with them because of their Communist state and our past tiffs with them, yet we deal so heavily with China at the same time. I don't get it. If anyone knows why this is, please explain. Maybe Fidel's brother will be a bit more open to working on ties with the U.S. I don't predict it happening anytime soon, but who knows?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23229795
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Fidel Castro Resigns as Cuba's Leader

I dunno, it'd probably mean more if Castro's brother didn't take up the torch. If he decides to let someone else take the reigns, the embargo would likely be gone overnight.

That would mean a lot for cuba... and a lot for their cigar sales.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
      I dunno, it'd probably mean more if Castro's brother didn't take up the torch. If he decides to let someone else take the reigns, the embargo would likely be gone overnight.

That would mean a lot for cuba... and a lot for their cigar sales.
      And that would be the night you would want to be in Miami. Big party!
      Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
        And that would be the night you would want to be in Miami. Big party!
        Actually, people have indeed been discussing this very thing here in Miami.

What's also being discussed is the possibility that Castro might be finally dead- Drew Curtis also covered it in his Fark blog. The suspicious timing of the announcement (3 AM) lends credence to the idea.

Still, though- Lincoln Rd. absolutely lit up when it was announced that Castro was on his way out some time ago. A big change... wow. :D
        ---------------
        Doc-in-training

Comment

Funny thing about the embargo. The night before JFK signed it, he sent out a ton of people to buy up all the Cigs he could. Once him and all his close advisors were done, he signed it into law. Saw that on the History channel and thought it was kind of neat.
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I'm sort of a fan and I hope Cuba can remain the only independent South American country. They are the only ones that escaped NAFTA (cfr Argentina), and all the coups d'tats (most recent: the abduction of Aristide) that the US governements supported in the the American continent. Pity it takes a dictator to defend yourself from all that, as democracies clearly cannot.

[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5832390545689805144[/media]

http://www.democracynow.org/2004/3/8...s_to_democracy
            =The legal president of Hati explains what happened.

Let's see if the announced attempt to overthrow the Cuban governement will succeed.
            Perhaps Obama won't do it, McCain surely will.

Comment

I have a buddy from way back in high school (all of 10 years ago) who is a journalist, and as such, is one of the few americans who can actually go to Cuba. He says it's an absolutely beautiful country, and from the pictures hes showed me, I believe it! That country has so much potential. It could be the richest nation in the entire caribbean region, I have no doubt, if they simply decided to play nice. I understand the need to make a political statement and assert your absolute independence, but honestly, how long is enough? They've been at it for 50 years! We get the point already! Even China plays ball now, it might be time to get a clue.

But seriously, imagine the potential for tourism alone: pristine beaches, mountains, a culture shrouded in secretive mystique for 50 years, the allure of the cuban cigar, the amazing culinary diversity they have. It would be a GOLD MINE. I'm talking billions of dollars a year just from tourism in Havana. It's a shame that they refuse to see that.

But now that Fidel is gone, hopefully we can start to see change. Raul isnt much better than Fidel, but he's pretty old too, so I dont think he'll be there long. After that, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                I have a buddy from way back in high school (all of 10 years ago) who is a journalist, and as such, is one of the few americans who can actually go to Cuba. He says it's an absolutely beautiful country, and from the pictures hes showed me, I believe it! That country has so much potential. It could be the richest nation in the entire caribbean region, I have no doubt, if they simply decided to play nice. I understand the need to make a political statement and assert your absolute independence, but honestly, how long is enough? They've been at it for 50 years! We get the point already! Even China plays ball now, it might be time to get a clue.

But seriously, imagine the potential for tourism alone: pristine beaches, mountains, a culture shrouded in secretive mystique for 50 years, the allure of the cuban cigar, the amazing culinary diversity they have. It would be a GOLD MINE. I'm talking billions of dollars a year just from tourism in Havana. It's a shame that they refuse to see that.

But now that Fidel is gone, hopefully we can start to see change. Raul isn't much better than Fidel, but he's pretty old too, so I don't think he'll be there long. After that, who knows.
                Well, there are two in this dance. U.S.A's actions are just as important to the current state of the situation. Many don't talk about opening up relations because of a politically important group of exiled Cubans in Florida. It really isn't about "not dealing with a dictator". America deals with dictators all the time. We have pretty good relationship with Vietnam and that isn't exactly the most open and free of the world countries. And we definitely do not have a happy past with them either. But what is different is that there isn't a powerful political body pushing for the overthrow of Vietnam's leader.

I agree though that Cuba could be a gold mine but not just for Cuba. America could benefit as well. There are very intelligent and well trained people in Cuba. My wife has a friend that lives there. (And I bet my name is on some government watch list because of this.) They talk often. Many of Cuba's professionals go to very distinguished schools in Europe. That is where my wife met her friend. Thier doctors are some of the best around from what I understand.
                Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

This just in: Cuba in Revolution!
                  This just in: NOTHING CHANGED!
                  Skud

Comment

The last warrior of the cold war has finally retired.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Good point Gringo! I never thought about our own constituents' pressure on our government. I bet you hit the nail on the head. So maybe it's us who is standing in the way of progress on foreign relations with Cuba. Well, I'm sure both sides have some progress to make, but it does not seem to be a 1 sided issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

But now that Fidel is gone, hopefully we can start to see change. Raul isnt much better than Fidel, but he's pretty old too, so I dont think he'll be there long. After that, who knows.
                        Im no expert on any of this but would this not kind of go against there fundimentals? I can only imagine how Che Guevera would have taken to reading your statement?

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                          Im no expert on any of this but would this not kind of go against there fundimentals? I can only imagine how Che Guevera would have taken to reading your statement?
                          Probably the same way he'd feel about t-shirts with his picture on it being sold at the "evil" capitalist Gap. Lol. Che's old news. People just gotta get with the times if they want to become a wealthier nation.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            Probably the same way he'd feel about t-shirts with his picture on it being sold at the "evil" capitalist Gap. Lol. Che's old news. People just gotta get with the times if they want to become a wealthier nation.
                            Not actually a true statement, cfr. Argentina. AFAIK they had to kick out the world bank and re-create a trade based economy to get their economy off the ground.

Comment

The United Satste has already stated that nothign will change as far as trade with Cuba. They currently can purchase food and agricultural supplies form the U.S., but the U.S. is not allowed to import anything. As far as the Cigars, the only reason they are so popular now id because they are illegal. There are other cugars out there that I find more appealing, yes I hjave had real cubans.

The embargo was put in place as a result of the missle crisis, when they had Soviet missles that could have been devastaing to the U.S.. Really good reading for those who have no clue what I am talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

Also stressing the relations between the U.S. and Cuba where the claims that Fidel emptied his jails and sent all of the "prisoners" to the U.S..

You could read for a couple of hours on the entire issue, but his brother seems to be on track to open relations with the U.S. down the road, while the U.S. states we will not open relations. Many people seem to be more focused on who the next "secopdn" in command will be, not the new ruler.

Should be interesting.

Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X