Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Congratulations!

    To the US Navy and the USS Lake Erie for a successful shoot!

    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...at.shoot7a.cnn

    -Dead Missile (and it's sensitive technology and dangerous fuel) destroyed
    -Live practice for the Navy
    -Capability demonstrated
    -Proper satellite disposal demonstrated (as opposed to the dangerous Chinese method)

    edit:
    Sorry NASA, gg to you too!
    New to TG?

  • #2
    Re: Congratulations!

    Very cool! I've been watching CNN, so I hadn't heard of it's success. Only it's possible failures.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Congratulations!

      nice shooting
      ...............................








      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

      -Benjamin Franklin

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Congratulations!

        Originally posted by LuckyStrike View Post
        nice shooting
        Tex
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

        <---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Congratulations!

          Although they did a great job, there are a few things about this that concerned me.

          The Space Shuttle had to be back for fear of hitting it?

          They had two missles ready in case they missed?

          Uhmmm, if I was on the Space Station I would have definetly been a little scared due to thier confindence on this.

          We can put remote control robots on Mars, but we are not sure we can hit a satelite in our own orbit?

          We can send a probe to crash into an asteriod billions of miles away and yet we are not sure.........see above statement.

          Anyway, Job well done!



          Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts:

          ** ** **

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Congratulations!

            Great news, I don't see why the Chinese couldn't of done it this way, instead of blowing theirs up in outer space leaving hundreds of pieces of dangerous debris floating around.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Congratulations!

              Originally posted by MDFubar View Post
              Although they did a great job, there are a few things about this that concerned me.

              The Space Shuttle had to be back for fear of hitting it?

              They had two missles ready in case they missed?

              Uhmmm, if I was on the Space Station I would have definetly been a little scared due to thier confindence on this.

              We can put remote control robots on Mars, but we are not sure we can hit a satelite in our own orbit?

              We can send a probe to crash into an asteriod billions of miles away and yet we are not sure.........see above statement.

              Anyway, Job well done!
              I think thats just some extreme safety measures, which are almost always taken. You always want to know every possible situation, no matter how little of a chance there is of it happening.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Congratulations!

                This is a neat event on the surface, but how many military and government officials do you suppose are ecstatic about this opportunity to not only test but publicly prove part of America's missile defense technology. How many foreign goverments are currently scrambling to analyze this public threat?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Congratulations!

                  Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                  This is a neat event on the surface, but how many military and government officials do you suppose are ecstatic about this opportunity to not only test but publicly prove part of America's missile defense technology. How many foreign goverments are currently scrambling to analyze this public threat?
                  A lot :D

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Congratulations!

                    Exactly, Mosely. Thats what makes it so awesome. Otherwise it would be pretty much ho-hum waste removal service. The primary benefit here is not "getting rid of the satellite" but "proving that our missile defense missiles can actually hit something every once in awhile". ;)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Congratulations!

                      All we need is a few weeks' notice from all parties intending to fire ballistic missiles in anger and we'll be all set to shoot them down! Oh, we also need the precise trajectories of those missiles. Maybe we should set up a special "red fax machine" between Tehran and Washington, making the communication that much easier?
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

                      "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Congratulations!

                        Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                        All we need is a few weeks' notice from all parties intending to fire ballistic missiles in anger and we'll be all set to shoot them down! Oh, we also need the precise trajectories of those missiles. Maybe we should set up a special "red fax machine" between Tehran and Washington, making the communication that much easier?
                        Why is everyone trying to downplay this so much? It is quite an accomplishment.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Congratulations!

                          The only thing I'm downplaying is the hype. The facts speak for themselves.

                          Given weeks of planning, a satellite can be shot down. Bravo!, I say. But what does that scenario have to do with a ballistic missile attack?
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

                          "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Congratulations!

                            Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                            Downplay what?
                            My point exactly

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Congratulations!

                              Oh snap!
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

                              "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X