US Religious Landscape Survey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Religious Landscape Survey

This survey is making headlines today, and it is pretty interesting from a variety of angles. The data seems to show that the US is on the verge of becoming a minority Protestant country. Religious affiliation is fracturing, diversifying and in many cases reducing across most segments of American society - in the 18-29 age group, 1 in 4 people claim no affiliation at all. The number of unafilliated is not much less in the 30-49 age group.

http://religions.pewforum.org/

I wonder how our TG sandbox participants fit into this survey. I'm unafilliated and in the 30-49 age group.

Re: US Religious Landscape Survey

It would be nice to have a "not religious" or "atheist" option.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

30-49 and either agnostic, atheist, or angry anti-religious militant depending on the day.

Comment

My impression is that people in the US consistently overstate their religious beliefs. While surveys claim that some 90% of the country is 'religious', I find that number very hard to believe.. Personally, I'd suggest that less than 1/4 of the country even attends church regularly.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Okies are still major bible belt material! WooHoo!!!

And what is the "Other Faiths" and New Hampshire and Vermont all about?
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
            My impression is that people in the US consistently overstate their religious beliefs. While surveys claim that some 90% of the country is 'religious', I find that number very hard to believe.. Personally, I'd suggest that less than 1/4 of the country even attends church regularly.
            Agreed, religions are full of hypocrites which is why I stay away from religion or actively attack it. But then my family was for some reason, Jehovah's Witness and anytime you take away a kid's xmas, you are going to cause a few wrinkles, lol.

Comment

Mormon - 18-29 range. Living in the South.
              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Did anyone else find it ironic that the study on Church affiliation was done by the Pew Forum...C'mon people...

anyway...

42 and officially "other". I'm an agnostic Unitarian Universalist. UU's are prevelant in New England and I'm betting that's the deal with NH and VT. Could be wrong though.
                What the hell is an agnostic Unitarian Universalist you say? Click the link below to find out.

http://www.uunashua.org/100quest.shtml
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I think you are on to something here. Very few people I know go to church regularly yet almost everyone I know say they believe in God or Jesus. And lets not even get started on the difference between tangible actions vs. thoeretical beliefs.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well, it's not a study of how GOOD a Christian/Jew/Hindu/Muslim/Pastafarian you are, it's a study of how you identify yourself. How the tribes stack up, as it were.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Isn't that pretty close to what this poll is showing though - that the number of Americans reporting 'unafilliated' is growing at a pretty rapid rate - 1/4 for the young and middle age groups. Speaking to your comment on actual participation and attendance, though, the poll was only asking about affiliation, and whether anyone has changed affiliation. It didn't really ask how affiliated to a particular religion one is, or how involved they are.

The data on affiliation alone, though, seems to provide some validation for impressions of religious waning in America. I think in some cases this may create a backlash towards more hardened positions, but by and large the country is certainly moving away from any semblance of a 'national' religion.

Comment

Note that lack of commitment to an organized religion doesn't imply lack of faith in invisible friends. Plenty of people who are "unaffiliated" are still believers.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

26, Athiest-leaning agnostic.
                          sigpic

Comment

Agnostic is also a nice way of saying religiously unaffiliated since it means you believe in something, but don't subscribe to current doctrines. Athiest means you don't believe in a higher power.

20's Agnostic here. I also like poking fun at organized religions and their general hypocrisies. I have nothing personally against faith and belief, but when you try to make it into more than just your opinion on a matter you start pissing me off.

Seriously, God doesn't tell you what to do or how to live your life. Its that whole 'free will' thing. If you took that into consideration then surrendering your free will to a religion is against god's will because you're taking that gift and throwing it away.
                            My sanity is not in question...
                            It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

36 Catholic. Regular (weekly) attendee, teach SOR to 4th grade wed nights, go to conferences, 2 pilgrimages to Europe (1 was during 9-11) and a weekly night at Eucharistic adoration (at 1 am Wed night/thursday morning). So I guess I'm a crazy one?

And you know there are a lot that identify as a religion but don't go regularly when you observe church services (of probably most types) during their holy times. I know Catholic churches are packed at Christmas and Easter with people who are never there otherwise.
                              "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                              Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                              " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...