Terrorists in World of Warcraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorists in World of Warcraft

Holy crap. I just got this off of Yahoo news.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...s-spies-w.html

I wonder what "they” will think of all our FPS playing.

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Re: Terrorists in World of Warcraft

Woo! Glad I quit and began paying my membership here instead. This place is much safer..... right?
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I can see the department of homeland security bugging Steam to keep track of your ID when you play Counter strike. "Terrorist Win" could mean a whole different thing and if you actively oppose the counter terrorist side you'd have terrorist sympathies. ^_^

"Dear Sir/Madam,

It has come to our attention that you support terrorism within the game 'Counter Strike'. We'd like for you to support the war on terror and counter terrorist efforts instead and stop holding hostages and planning IED planting within such a virtual medium"
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Having eliminated all terrorism in the real world, the U.S. intelligence community is working to develop software that will detect violent extremists infiltrating
        Yeah right.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

LOL, one of my teammates just pointed this out, so I started a thread on agw:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.g...7f39e53f560c7/
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hey... wasn't there some kind of mod for the old version of CS where the CTs would run in and hug the Ts? I think I remember it and a disturbing picture of one such embrace. I think it was made by some parents group or something.

That would also make me think of those times where the entire team would throw down all their weapons and hover into the enemy's sites with their arms out at 45 degree angles.
            "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I used to work in a unit that studied network tomography and its applications, and this sounds like something worth taking a look at.

Reading through the unclassified report (located here) referenced by the wired blog entry, I'm happy to see so much effort being put into ways to increase privacy protections for everyone involved.
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Big Brother is watching, but he promises he won't check your name and address unless it's REALLY important.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

LOL I wonder what happened to make anyone believe this would be a worthwhile effort...
                  "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                  -- Red Forman

Comment

Projects by this organization almost never directly result in applications. This is almost all theoretical research. It has scientific value, but almost no practical value.

My guess is that some gamer/scientist wanted to advance the study of social norms in an online environment. So now they get to play video games and say they are working. Eventually someone will come along and use part of the research for something practical (or so the investigators hope).

Nice job if you can get it. ;)

I recall running a gaming server out of my university office under the guise of a psychological experiment. I recorded violent/agressive/insulting text messages in global chat and analyzed them as a function of server variables like presence or absence of blood spatter from gunshots and player variables like accuracy and kill/death ratio. The game was soldier of fortune 2 and some mods for it that allowed server side control of violence. In reality, it was my clans server...

It was good fun. :)

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                      Projects by this organization almost never directly result in applications. This is almost all theoretical research. It has scientific value, but almost no practical value.

My guess is that some gamer/scientist wanted to advance the study of social norms in an online environment. So now they get to play video games and say they are working. Eventually someone will come along and use part of the research for something practical (or so the investigators hope).

I recall running a gaming server out of my university office under the guise of a psychological experiment. I recorded violent/agressive/insulting text messages in global chat and analyzed them as a function of server variables like presence or absence of blood spatter from gunshots and player variables like accuracy and kill/death ratio. The game was soldier of fortune 2 and some mods for it that allowed server side control of violence. In reality, it was my clans server...

Bingo. That's probably all that's going here. Gotta give props to the government minion/genius/gamer who talked his superiors into taking on this project.
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post

LOL

We did the same thing with a Playstation for a situational awareness study. Of course on the weekends I took it home with me for some more in-depth study.
                        I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I think I know what their going to find. Track down the loud mouth, racist, homophobic, pro or anti westerner players only to find a braty 14 year old boy, in suburbia, scared to death by the men in suits at his door.

People on TG server seem to be normal people for the most part. There is the odd humor or argument but nothing alarming. On other servers you will find the odd A-hole, smack talker but again its usually someone acting out within the safety of the internet. Most people wouldn't act as dumb or aggressive as they do on the internet in real life.

Maybe I should start a study on this? It could finance my new computer build.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                            Maybe I should start a study on this? It could finance my new computer build.
                            Great idea! Just earmark it, and let congress pay for it! Then you could get your $10,000 dream machine, while they think they're getting a deal for "cheap" research! They won't even notice the missing $$$'s.
                            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X