X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored?

Yes you know you are!

http://www.qwerf.com/?p=58

If I can make the time writing it the least you can do is bore yourself with it. :row1_2:

Re: Bored?

I love urban exploring, old bomb shelters, factories and military installations.

Its really interesting then reading up on them and trying to find out what it was all for and why they decided they didn't need it anymore.

"I'm gonna shove the lawbook somewhere where the sun don't shine on him.
    Then he can truly say that he knows how it feels when the laws are used effectively"

Comment

interesting, its cool to find stuff like that.

Comment

I wish I still had the footage that me and a groop of my hoodlum friends from high school took way back when. In Tampa, right at Cleveland St. and MacDill Ave., there is funny looking trapezoidal building thats about 8-9' tall, with vent pipes coming out of the top that are curved over 180 at the ends. There is also a huge metal door as the only entrance. The building is made of brick and concrete and there is a big lock and chain on the door.

We used to hang out there and drink and smoke cigarettes back then and we always wondered what was inside. We never saw anyone around there, so we figured nobody would notice if we tried to break in. We tried breaking the lock/chains with bolt cutters, but they didnt make a dent. So one of my buddies stole a cutting torch from his dad's machine shop and we cut our way through the chain, opened the door and descended into the abyss.

After going down about 15 feet of vertical stairs, we came into a large chamber (probably 20' x 25') with five doors. Behind three of the doors were rooms filled with metal bedframes, and behind the fourth was a room about 15' by 15' filled with metal shelf-racks. The fifth door was locked by chain and lock, so again we cut our way through. behind the door was a tunnel that ran about 3 blocks, with minor changes in elevation via 2-3 stairs, obviously to give clearance to pipes or sewers. It gradually ascended until we figured we were just below street level. At the end we found a ladder that led to a split metal door, like the kind you would see for a basement elevator that comes up to receive deliveries. It was only about 6' up, and we couldnt budge it, so one of my buddies went outside and tracked down where it was. Turns out it was in the middle of a sidewalk and had been covered by concrete (he could hear us banging on the metal doors with our flashlights.

So we came to the conclusion that it was an old bomb shelter. Pretty cool in itself. We were going to go back in the next day, but when we went back, there was a fresh lock and chain on the door, and the door had been completely welded shut. Obviously, whoever's bomb shelter it was didnt want us going in there. I used to have the footage that I took with my camcorder, but I've since lost it. The building is still there if anyone ever gets to tampa and wants to see it.

Another really cool place to go is the steam tunnels underneath the University of Colorado. They smell really bad, but you can access any building on campus from down there and actually get into the boiler room under Boulder High School down the hill from the campus. Unfortunately, after some stupid individual made that public on the interwebs, boulder PD started arresting people for venturing down there, so if you do manage to get in and wander around, make sure you've got a quick escape route planned.

Comment

Cool Ferris, that sounds like a really interesting building, wish you still had the video of it though, that would have been cool to watch. Wonder why there were so many bed frames.

Comment

The only thing we could think of is that MacDill AFB is straight up the road about 4 miles. Perhaps the beds were for the VIPs and their families from the base or something.

Comment

anyone else got any other urban exploration stories? i cant think of any i have off the top of my head at the moment