Craigslist Scammer Rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Scammer Rant

So, I've got a few pieces of furniture that I decide to sell and I put up an ad of craigslist.org. It isn't long before I get this email:

To: bkelly
    Subject: Entertainment Center Armoire with End and Coffee Table options - $800

hello seller
    i came across your item which you want to sell on craigslst, and
    i will like to buy this from you, pls get back to me if this items is
    still on sale.
    provid me your info (addres)in which payment will be made
    thanks

Now, I confess I've dabbled in Internet dating so I can smell replies that are from scammers or a front for a commercial site and this one wreaked. He never used my name, he never described the item I'm listing, he said nothing that might pinpoint my locality, he offers to buy sight unseen and this message is sent from a public accessible email domain where anyone can sign up for an email address. The bad punctuation, spelling and grammar doesn't help either.

Now if this is a scammer, I have no idea what his plan could be. My only guess is that he'll mail me a bum check, then notify me that he's changed his mind and ask me to mail a refund before the check doesn't clear. I'm not sure who he thinks is dumb enough to fall for this, especially since I expect someone to show up at my door and take this furniture away. Someone who only sends me money is a big red flag.

He can't think I'm that stupid, can he? All right, I'll send him a little test. I'll reply to his email asking for more information but omit all references to my post. If he's for real, he'll at least be able to tell me what kind of furniture he was looking for. So, I reply:

To: "chad gaven" <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: My Craigslist Sale

Of course Chad,

Tell me specifically, which items were you interested in purchasing?

bkelly

His answer came back twenty-eight seconds after I sent my question:

hello seller
    still on sale.
    thanks

--
    hello seller
    still on sale.
    thanks

Ah, I now see why this guy assumes I'm so stupid. He's got a very low point of reference.

My reply is swift and pointed:

To: "chad gaven" <[email protected]>

Chad,

Please go **** yourself. Have you nothing better to do then try to scam other people?

bkelly

I wanted a minute for his automated reply but it never came. His reply macro must be smart enough to not respond to emails that contain the f-word. Someone else must have written it for him.

A few hours later I get another email:

Hi, Please is the item in good order? I'm currently in England but I have a keep interest in the item as pasted on Craigslist. I'm a very successful Business person that have clients that are in the States that I have done business with and are owing me one amount or the other. I can therefore arrange for one of them to wire cash into your bank account that is if you have a TCF EXPRESS BANK account or you are ready to open one for the success of this transaction. I'll also want you to deduct a sum of 100bucks from every transaction we make as a reward for your running arround. You'll therefore wire the rest of the cash via western union money transfer to the info. of one of my agents that handles all monetary matters in our orgnisation. If you are therefore satisfied with these conditions of mine and want us to do business, then hit me back by sending:
    1..... Your full name,
    2..... Account number,
    3..... Routing Number and name, address of the branch which you have opened the account.
    4..... Your Cell Phone number. We would prefer to make payments this bank accounts....
    Thanks, Will be expecting a quick reply.

Yes, of course. Let me run out, open a bank account that I'm sure has a minimum balance requirement, send you my name, the account number and the branch information and then sit back and wait for you to deposit money. Furniture? What furniture?

I can't decide if this guy is smarter or dumber than the first. His writing is better but his obviousness is staggering. Either way, the result is the same.

Subject: <The name of my aution>
    To: "matt douglsa" <[email protected]>

Hi Matt,

Please go **** yourself.

Sincerely,

bkelly

All right, another well deserved f-bomb delivered. Now on to selling this furniture!

Hello,
    I am Mr Silas from UK,i was surfing the internet
    when i came across your
    advert and i am really interested in the item.i
    will like you to tell me
    some things.
    1)If the good is still available for sale.
    2)If you are the owner of the item.
    3)The last selling price of the item.
    4)Send some pictures if available..
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Mr Silas.
    Telephone: +447024087223

What is it with the the folks in the UK needing furniture and trying to get it from people in the US on craigslist who say they don't have a truck to deliver it? Perhaps they assume I have a boat instead and will sail it right over. At least this guy isn't offering to buy my furniture sight unseen, however my ad did include pictures and the purchase price, so he didn't read it. I still gave him the test:

To: "dexter silas" <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: Craig's List Item

Hi Dexter,

1 + 2, yes. 3 + 4 was answered on the post itself.

I can provide more pictures if you wish. Could you tell me specifically which item you were interested in?

bkelly

His response arrived seven minutes later:

Subject: List Item

Hello Brian,

Give me the list of all the items you have there and i will select ...each with a picture if possible....

Thanks,

Mr Silas

This guy is much smarter and more subtle than the other two, which unfortunately means he's might be successful once in a while. For the other people posting, I hope the other scamming schmucks spill the beans about what's going on before the craigslist folk get taken.

However he still failed the test and wins the booby prize:

To: "dexter silas" <[email protected]>
    Subject: Re: List Item

Hi Dexter,

I have a better idea. Go **** yourself.

Have you nothing better to do than scam people on the Internet?

bkelly

I suppose my question to Dexter is rhetorical. The answer is obvious- no, he doesn't.

I really hate these kinds of people. What kind of man works so hard to scam other people out of a few hundred dollars? And mind you, their targets are already on craigslist looking to stretch their dollars as best they can so the money will be missed. Doing an act for your own gain that you know hurts others is evil. Living day after day with the knowledge that you've contributed nothing to the world but hurt and misery can only leave a soul in decay. I can only imagine what miserable, scrofulous people they must truly be.

Anyway, enough with the rant. It's time to sell some furniture. Oh, I got another email while typing:

Subject: INTERESTED IN...Entertainment Center Armoire with End and Coffee Table options - $800

HELLO POSTER,
    In response to your item posted for sale,I am interested in making a purchase of it.I have read the features and i am very much satisfied,also i will be responsible for the shippment from your location to my base so I would want you to get back to me via my e-mail with your last asking prize and recent pics and also I would want to know its present condition and payment will be via cashiers check only which can be cashed in any US banks.........
    I will be will waiting for your reply soonest.....
    Regards........MORGAN......

Arrrgh!

Re: Craigslist Scammer Rant

Hello Poster, I am interested in buying your TG post for a book.

PLease send me all your money and I will write it up in a book about stupid people... I MEAN I will give you a share of the profits

Sincerly,
    Skylark
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Oh my goodness! I didn't realize that scamming was so huge on craigslist. What a shame. I bet half these clowns are in Nigeria. What a bunch of losers. Haven't they learned that they might be more successful scamming people if they learned how to spell. Proper grammar would be a plus, as well. I remember someone here at TG telling a great story of how they ended up scamming the scammer. I need to find that post.

Beatnik posted this before. Good stuff.
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvyrzQldOKE[/media]
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I tell ya what I hate worse than scammer replies??? SCAMMER ADS!!!

Gosh darnit if you can't spot them just as easily. Really? Youre selling that fully loaded xps for 500 bucks? Awesome, Ill take it...lets meet!

'I'm english business man and computer is with me here. Please send money'

riiiiight.

Comment

I tried to sell my paintball gun on a site similar to Craigslist a while ago. Some guy said he'd buy it, and would send me a check. What he sent me was a cashier's check for $2000. He told me to send him $1800 back over Western Union, yeah, sure buddy. I ripped the check up and haven't heard anything from him since.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X