Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As if I didnt hate this place enough already...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As if I didnt hate this place enough already...

Everyone pretty much knows that I dont like living in Orlando. It's crowded, traffic sucks, everything is disney this or universal that. Giant bowl of suck with a side of lame sauce.

So this past weekend I go to Colorado and visit some friends. Had a great time. Went to the Frozen Dead Guy Days in Nederland. Went freeride heli-skiing up in the high country. Drank copious amounts of homebrew beers, as well as the ever pleasant 90 Shilling, Fat Tire and 2° Below. Drove to Estes and hiked up in RMNP. It was a GREAT vacation.

Then I get home. Bad enough that I had to leave my friends in snowy paradise and come home to hot, muggy florida. Worse is the fact that when I get home, I find out that my house is being foreclosed on! Now before you chastise me for being sloppy with money, it's not MY house. I rent the house through a property management company. Apparently, whoever the real owner is (never met them in person), hasnt paid their mortgage since BEFORE I moved into the house in November. How jacked up is that? We got copies of the foreclosure suit papers from the property management company, and I've contacted my uncle, who deals with this kind of thing all the time as a contract lawyer. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some kind of solution that doesnt involve me having to move.

On the other hand, I want to burn this entire city to the ground now. Either that, or global warming needs to speed up so that florida can just become an extension of the atlantic ocean.

Re: As if I didnt hate this place enough already...

My amateur legal advice:

--Its highly unlikely that the bank that's about to foreclose on the house will have to follow through on the contractual obligations of the previous owner who didn't pay the bills. If they want to let you keep living there, all well and good, but I'd be surprised if the Bank wanted to go through that trouble rather than just selling the place.

--You can probably sue the previous owner for breach of contract, for not having a house to provide you in exchange for your rent. However, if the bank's been having this much trouble collecting the mortgage from him, I don't imagine it will be any easier for you to collect a judgement from him.

--Net result: Through no fault of your own, you're probably screwed. =/

Comment

You could try to buy the house back from the bank for pennies on the dollar, however that kinda defeats the fact you hate it there. :(
      "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
      EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
      PLAYSTATION®Network & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

That and I couldnt afford it anyway. According to the legal documentation, the guy owes roughly 307k on the mortgage, so at the minimum i'd be looking at around 100k if I got a SUPER deal. I couldnt even afford half that right now.

Comment

Lame sauce is right!

:(
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

My man, I will gladly trade states with you. You love the snow but live in sunshine. I love the sunshine but live in snow. I guess if you live in one climate your whole life, you'd want to change up.

Just cracks me up when people complain about living in warm weather. I don't know, maybe the winters (cold winters) in other parts of the country are different, but here in the midwest or northeast winters really really suck. And I know you think your hot muggy Florida sucks, but trust me, the winters up here are much worse. Imagine being literally trapped inside your home because a storm dumped close to 20 inches of snow in one night. This is what happened to us over the weekend. I couldn't even drive to work on Saturday because our roads had not even been plowed at that time. The snow on the road was as high as the snow in the yard. Hell it took us almost an hour just to snowblow our driveway.

Let me ask you another thing. How would you like riding your bike on our roads with a pothole every five feet? Seriously, some roads around here are that brutal. That's what happens with all the snow, ice, and salt chipping away at them. Your roads are pristine, aren't they?

So Mr. Warm Weather Bueller, you may hate Orlando and Florida for a lot of things. Just don't rant about the nice weather or we're gonna have a snowball fight and I'm going to pack mine with some icicles that are currently hanging from the bottom of my car.

Oh and Florida better not be an extension of the Atlantic come Saturday. Crap, I hope they'll have Cleveland Hopkins airport plowed by then.

Comment

I lived in Orlando for about a year. Lived on base but I honestly don't know why anybody would want to live there. It is about the only city as Ugly as Oklahoma City. All spread out with squat buildings and no rhyme or reason to much of it.

There are some fun places to visit.

But I have alway said Florida is a great state if you cut out the middle and just left the beaches. Cocoa beach is my favorit.
              I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

jmaker, I feel your pain, I've lived there. Spent well over a year living in Hamilton and West Chester (right north of Cincy). I dont like the midwest either. See, my problem with the weather here isnt that it's hot. My complaint is that its hot ALL THE TIME. We dont get a break for more than 7-8 days a year. At least in ohio you have something resembling seasons. Hot as hell in the summer, cold as ice in the winter. We dont get that down here.

And HELL NO the roads arent pristine down here. The entire state is made of limestone, which gives way when it gets wet. So we get potholes everywhere, sometimes even full on sinkholes (ive seen them up to 150' wide and 20-25' deep). The roads here suck, and the worst part about our potholes is that the roads are so hot all the time that they flex, so the pavement doesnt break when the ground sinks. So we get potholes that look like just another part of the road until you're 5 feet away and cant do anything about it (had a buddy in high school get his axle ripped out cause of one like that).

Lastly, as far as the whole being trapped in your home thing, I have one better. 2003 when I'm living in boulder, huge storm hits colorado, dumps over 36" of snow in one night. 1500+ rooftops in the denver metro area collapse, one of which being mine. I wake up at 3:40 in the morning to what sounds like a nuclear explosion in my living room. I run out and notice that my roof is now a part of my floor, so is my computer, television, stereo, xbox, and my entire kitchen. Flattened like pancakes.

But you know what, I'd do it again!
                And anytime you're up for that snowball fight, bring it on! We dont have snow down here, so I'll substitute oranges, which we have plenty of. :D

Comment

Orlando is all that is bad about Florida condensed into a tourist city (although Univ. of Central Florida is pretty nice... but that's besides the point).

Glad you enjoyed Colorado. Yes... this state does indeed kick serious ass.

Comment

The City Beautiful is fail. (Srsly, outsiders, they have the brass-plated cohonays to call it that.)

A pity about the housing thing, but one should always own the things he behaves as if he owns. Why not walk northward... Ocala perhaps? You could go to Gainesville and sleep in one of the un-watched college buildings. I know someone who went exploring one night...

Comment

It rains maybe a few days out of the year here in vegas..and to my knowledge it hasn't snowed in around 4 years.

I prefer colder weather over hot weather.
                      May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't.

Ingame name is [Zion] DanielLion |TG|!!

Comment

Dang Ferris. That stinks. It's time for a deadbeat landlord beat-down! What a jerk, not paying the mortgage forcing you to uproot your life again. I thought landlords would apply the rent money toward the mortgage if they couldn't otherwise pay for it. Guess not this one. Although you may not recover much from this scum-bag, I'd say a law-suit would make you feel better about the situation. I don't normally condone suing, but this one deserves it. At least get him to cover the cost of moving. Do you think you'll be getting your deposit back?

Good luck with everything. I'm really sorry this is happening to you. If I lived in FL, I'd happily offer you a room at my place til you got re-situated.
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Much appreciated Warmonger. Yeah, my uncle that does contract law is taking the case pro bono so I wont lose any money if I choose to sue the guy, which I probably will. According to my uncle, Florida has a "financial obligation" law, which says that if youre renting space to someone, you are legally bound to make sure that space remains available (for financial reasons, like paying the mortgage) for the term of the lease. If you default on that, you are automatically in breach and the lessees areallowed to sue for all deposits and rent paid from the time the contract was broken. In my case, the court documents say that the house owner hasnt made a mortgage payment since pre-November 1. I moved into the house November 9. So by law, I'm allowed to collect my deposits and, at this point, 5 months rent, although my uncle told me to claim 7 or 8 because it's going to be a few months before the case is heard. Either way, looking at about 10k getting returned to me if I get anything out of the guy. Plus, warmonger is absolutely right. This guy's d-baggery is making my life hell, so I'm going to make his worse by taking his butt to court. I'm usually not vindictive, but you screw with my livelihood and it's on.

Comment

Looks like my amateur legal prediction matches your uncles' advice pretty closely. I still suspect its going to be really hard to collect money from him considering the bank couldn't manage to collect on the secured mortgage loan -- you might have better luck going to the property management company and seeing if they still hold any money on account for him that you can go after.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the property management company wasn't supposed to be taking care of the mortgage for the owner...if they screwed up their obligations to keep the property's finances current, they would probably be much easier to collect from.

Comment

I was in the exact same spot but in California. The roommates and I stopped paying rent after the foreclosure and the bank took 5 months to invite us to leave and another 3 to evict. The legal proceedings are separate matters, at lease that is what the legal aid peeps told us. We where advised to just leave AFTER we received the eviction notice and we were ok under the law. We left after 8 months of free rent.

One of the roomies had an uncle that was a lawyer and advised us, so please don’t act alone or out or ignorance of your states laws.

Sarcoma
                              Sarcoma.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...