X Prize: 1 down 1 to go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Prize: 1 down 1 to go

Looks like Scaled Composites is set to take the prize after a successful launch today. Now they just have to do it again on by Oct 13th.
    flux
    [tg-c1]

Re: X Prize: 1 down 1 to go

Very cool, especially after the announcement that Virgin Galactic has paid around $25 million to license the design in order to start the first commercial spaceliner.

Y'know a year ago I didn't think my childhood dreams of going into space would ever become a reality. The last twenty years have been pretty hard on space programs. People seemed to have lost interest. But this past year has definitely seen interest pick up, and for that I'm very glad.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
      Y'know a year ago I didn't think my childhood dreams of going into space would ever become a reality.
      No Kidding ! I ought to quit smokin' and put that moola towards my 45th happy birthday to me :)

Comment

I'm saving up for one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by phyllis
          No Kidding ! I ought to quit smokin' and put that moola towards my 45th happy birthday to me :)
          Have you seen this: http://www.nogravity.com/
          I dunno 'bout you, but it's a whole lot closer to my budget than the expected cost of actual space flight...
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Rutan did it !

Comment

I'm so stoked! Now I just need to win the lottery so I can afford a seat on the next flight!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                I'm saving up for one of these.
                :icon25: My pulse just jumped 30 beats thinking about buzzing around in that thing. Hm, I didn't see a price list, I wonder why :icon7:

No space for this kid, did you see that approach? I didn't see the video of it, but they said this....

After some unexpected acrobatics during the the last flight, Rutan said Monday's would be a smooth one, but he was prepared for stability issues.

"We believe we have solved these and we don't believe we'll see the rolls tomorrow," he said Sunday. "But if we do, we don't believe they're dangerous. ... After all, what we're doing is research.
                "

They also say it will be 100x safer than NASA can do it. I'll wait to see that.
                New to TG?

Comment

$2.5M when they go on sale, Squid. ;)

The good news is that it's very economical at only $400/hr to fly. I bet maintenance is a bitch, though, unless your brother-in-law is a jet mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                    $2.5M when they go on sale, Squid. ;)

The good news is that it's very economical at only $400/hr to fly. I bet maintenance is a bitch, though, unless your brother-in-law is a jet mechanic.
                    Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to stick to a coach class ticket on Virgin Galactic...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Heh...I read that these "space flights" will be "fairly" affordable, around $190,000... now I'm not sure that's affordable for us common folks....lol... anyway...it didn't have any details on what they had for flight length/etc. for that kinda cash..... I'd kinda want a full orbit I guess :D

Comment

I just finished watching the Discovery Channel special on the development and flights of Spaceship One. It was great, I highly recommend it.
                        New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X