Missing Marine Found Dead, Possible Victim of CoD4 Induced Combat Flashback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Marine Found Dead, Possible Victim of CoD4 Induced Combat Flashback

The parentís of Eric Hall have positively identified the body found in deep in a Charlotte County Florida culvert Sunday as their son.

The badly wounded Iraq war veteran disappeared in February 3 after an intense session of Call of Duty 4, which according to his family may have triggered a flashback. Hall saw combat in Fallujah, where his leg was severely wounded and his buddy was decapitated in front of him. According to GamePolitics, Hall had previously caused a traffic accident while hallucinating an Iraqi road block.

Although official details havenít been released, Vietnam veteran Charles Shaughness, who discovered the body suspects Hall may have taken shelter in the culvert to escape a small brush fire. Becky Hall believes this is likely.

This is a tragedy on so many levels. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can be very real and have serious consequences. What I canít fathom is why Hall chose to play CoD4. Maybe he thought he could try to learn to deal with his fears. Why would his family knowing how badly his experiences had scarred him not at least tried to discourage him from exposing himself to such a realistic simulation of modern combat. Yes the man was 24, but he obviously needed help that came too late to save him.

According to GamePolitics Hall was involved in a dispute with the Veterans Administration over his benefits at the time he disappeared. Why was this Marine who served his country not given the help he needed to deal with his PTSD. They healed his body, but neglected his mind and soul. Semper Fidelis is not just something we Marines sayÖ its just too bad the government is not made up of more Marines.

via The News and Tribune -Clark County
    Source: http://news.filefront.com/missing-ma...bat-flashback/

What is everyone's thoughts about this?
    -F-

Re: Missing Marine Found Dead, Possible Victim of CoD4 Induced Combat Flashback

That is pretty intense.. Aren't vets required to see a psychiatrist or something along the lines of that whenever they get out of active duty just to make sure they're straight though?
    Did it say how he died or was it from the brush fire??
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

From the two people I have known with PTSD, they just want to be normal. They don't always feel like something is wrong and they just want to have a normal life, but this sort of thing is like a panic attack and doesn't really give them much warning. Perhaps the Marine thought that playing CoD4 would be a normal, fun thing to do like we all do and it had an unexpected effect on him. There is no real way to know I guess but it is very sad. The US is unfortunately known for extracting the best out of it's patriotic soldiers and then leaving them without help with all that they have to deal with.

Comment

"The US is unfortunately known for extracting the best out of it's patriotic soldiers and then leaving them without help with all that they have to deal with."

Sadly very true.. I froget what the statistics were for Vietnam but it was something like half of the men that saw combat and came back all suffer from some type of PTSD every once and awhile.. I'll look around for it did a essay on it two years ago.
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

The mental health care provided by the US is pretty bogus. You should see the hoops you have to jump through to even qualify for mental health care.

http://speaker.house.gov/blog/?p=873

About time they actually did something about it.
          "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

This happened North of my area... as a cop and Ex-vet i helped look for him...very sad story... but that article is wrong... he had had problems, bad dreams and flashbacks since returning...he was seeking mental help from the military...but not enough IMO... he played CoD4 before with his family and friends, and would be fine...when he took off, Super Bowl Sunday, he was at his aunts house, not playing video games, and just jumped up ran out of the house, jumped on his motorcycle and went not even 1 mile to nearby woods... he then was seen throwing his motorcycle down and running into the woods...

a search went on for DAYS with no luck... reports that he was seen etc etc...all wrong, when he first ran into those woods he either climbed into a very small and covered drainage ditch to escape either a near by flash fire (we got alot of those here), or to hide from the "enemy" as some think... We used K9's to look for him, but since he went underground not even 50 yards from the point into the woods...we all started our tracks to deep, and missed him...

Very very sad, and a more intense after care program should be in place for these guys and girls... IMO the same amount of money used to fight the war on terror, should be used to treat these fine men and women.

and thou this is very sad, the first article is full of mistakes and should go to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read, even from newspapers, who usually have there own agenda. JMO
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
              Very very sad, and a more intense after care program should be in place for these guys and girls... IMO the same amount of money used to fight the war on terror, should be used to treat these fine men and women.
              I couldn't agree more!
              | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                I couldn't agree more!
                You don't actually think that your government will actually do this, do you ?!?!
                sigpic

Comment

Of course they won't. They don't even put into education what they put toward the "war on terrorism" or even the "war on drugs" for that matter.
                  | | |

Comment

My god...COD4 is so intense...I dont know why youd want to play it. At any rate...sad story. :(

Comment

Don't point fingers at the game - PTSD really can occur at any second. Flashbacks are subtle things...
                      Skud

Comment

PTSD is often a subtle and quiet mental illness in itself. A majority of people who suffer from PTSD aren't easily identified by outward symptoms.
                        | | |

Comment

Is their any actual showing of the brain thats different from someone who doesnt have PTSD?

(froget what they're called, shows parts used in brain and how much by using colors)

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                            (froget what they're called, shows parts used in brain and how much by using colors)
                            Brain scan?
                            sigpic

Comment

CAT scans?
                              -F-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...