X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The state will get your money

one way or another.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0108/486306.html

The "left lane law" says you cannot drive in the left lane if you are not going the speed limit unless you are passing or turning left. They have recently started enforcing it probably because they can't get as many speeders because people are driving slower to save gas. I know I go 60-65 mph and I rarely get passed.

It has it's place but overall I think it is a stupid law. And a $200 ticket?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: The state will get your money

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
    one way or another.

The "left lane law" says you cannot drive in the left lane if you are not going the speed limit unless you are passing or turning left. They have recently started enforcing it probably because they can't get as many speeders because people are driving slower to save gas. I know I go 60-65 mph and I rarely get passed.

So if one drives the speed limit or below they get a ticket for going too slow and if one drives over the speed limit they get a ticket for going too fast. No one is allowed in the left lane other then to pass except for emergency vehicles? Wow, that would cause a massive amount of traffic in my city.
    Last edited by Hambergler; 03-17-2008, 12:03 AM.

Comment

This was tried in Virginia about 10 years ago and it became null and void simply because of traffic jams. We actually had it worded so that we couldn't stay in the left lane for more than a few miles or we got a ticket. I never knew anyone who actually got pulled over for it and all of my LEO friends said it was stupid and they had much more important things to do than count mile markers while following someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Article
        A couple of other laws trooper say many drivers may not know about are people not using their turn signals and also people who don't move over to the far lane when an officer has pulled someone over on the side of the road. Both of those violations could also cost you more than 200 dollars.
        Oh, so when you slow down and move to the left lane to be courteous and protect the trooper, you can then get a ticket for driving too slow in the left lane! Man, I should apply for a job down there, I can think of dozens of silly ways to get money from ordinary citizens.
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I read somewhere that this law is strictly enforced on the autobahn and their lower incidence of accidents can be attributed to it. The difference being that in certain sections there's no upper limit last I heard. Anyone have any first hand experience?

The law here is a little different; in the hammer lane you must go faster than 55 but slower than 75. Although realistically if you're not going 80 you probably have someone tail gating you already. If nothing else I think enforcing this law would force people to maintain some situational awareness which is sorely lacking.
          New to TG?

Comment

LOL @ comparing German autobahn and US roads.

Driving is a completely different thing there -- its a highly respected practice on the autobahn.

In the use we eat drink talk shave etc while we drive. In Germany cup holders are considered confusing.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
              Driving is a completely different thing there -- its a highly respected practice on the autobahn.
              It is in my car too. I think it's a valid question to compare similar laws dissimilarly enforced. Remember, the ideas behind Eisenhower's plan for our national highway system were born on the autobahn current cultural differences notwithstanding.
              New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                one way or another.

Are you kidding? This is awesome. I saw it in Action on the Turner Turnpike yesterday coming back from Missouri. A trucker was going 70 in the left lane (speed limit of 75) passing a line of wal-mart and UPS trucks going about the same speed. It was taking forever (literall I was behind him for over 10 minutes) and there was a line of 30 or so cars behind it. The line of trucks and cars passed a trooper waiting for speeders. The HP pulled out and started passing everyone on the shoulder. He got ahead of the group and whipped behind the semi and proceeded to pull it over. It was great.
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

They tried this in colorado too. After a few months, the police just stopped enforcing it because of situations like the one rince described. Technically, even though it was taking a long time, the semi WAS passing people, and therefore made correct use of the lane. Any good lawyer would punch straight at that logic, which is exactly what happened in colorado. The signs are still there, but everyone just ignores them now.

Comment

There is a similar law in PA, basically here the left lane on highways is only for passing people. The minute you have passed someone you are supposed to get back over in the right lane or risk a ticket.

Thank god the cops don't really enforce this law here, as our roads suck from all the trucks on our highways and our winters and more times then not the right lane is only a marginal improvement over a dirt road for smoothness of driving.

Comment

One of Florida's few good attributes is that the right lane is for speeding and the left lane is for hauling ass. If you get pulled over, it's either for going too slowly or for doing Limit+20 by yourself or while in a sports car, which stimulates the local economy with $300 of your dollars.

Yeah... don't try to impress your girlfriend with your sports car in Florida. For every MPH you can go over the speed limit, the Highway Patrol can do two.

Comment

Every law like this creates less respect for the law. (The stupid drug laws are another example.) In another thread we talk about loss of respect for police. I think that's because cops are bound to be the face of these laws. If we didn't have stupid laws, cops would have a lot more respect.

I've encountered the left-only-for-passing law in Oregon while heading north to Washington and Canada on vacation, and it seemed to work pretty well. It was a breath of fresh air after getting stuck behind "blue hair" in California's left lanes. But perhaps the very low traffic density is required for that. It would suck in a city.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'm amazed at the sentiments here. This law is awesome and so necessary. I put about 1000 miles a week on my car going to work at different counties. One of my biggest pet peeves are people (especially semi's) who jump out in front of you in the left lane and end up not passing the semi on the right. I got stuck behind a pair last Friday going 65 (in an 80mph zone). I let it slide for about 10 miles, but then I started flashing my lights and laying on the horn. Finally the driver got a clue and sped up and got back in the right lane. Once I passed him, I got back in the right lane and several people passed me waving and giving me the thumbs up. Sometimes people are in their own little worlds and need to realize that the left lane if for passing. There are signs posted everywhere saying, "Keep Texas Moving. Left lane is for passing only." BTW, I've never seen a hp pull anyone over for passing safely, even if it requires speeding. I've passed plenty of hp's doing 10 over the limit, and they never seem to care. They see I'm doing it solely for passing and not continuously speeding.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Obviously you have never driven a semi. If you had, you would understand the need for longer distances in front of you and the need to get over in the left lane to go around another truck. Yes, it does happen that you end up in a rolling log-jam sometimes but most of the time that is a direct result of the terrain, the weight of the truck, and the power in the engine. Getting over to the right lane and slowing down isn't always a consideration to the driver since a semi takes a lot longer to get back up to highway speed and in the long run causes more problems. In a way you are sort of a victim of the people who complain all the time about how fast the semi trucks are and all that mess. Because of the lower speed limits for trucks and the rising insurance costs, more and more trucking companies have limited the trucks to 60 MPH, which also limits it's pulling power in the end and causes these situations more often than it used to happen. But it is important to note that in most cases, if the speed limit is 65 MPH, it is still legal in most places to go as slow as 45 MPH and still not break the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                              Are you kidding? This is awesome. I saw it in Action on the Turner Turnpike yesterday coming back from Missouri. A trucker was going 70 in the left lane (speed limit of 75) passing a line of wal-mart and UPS trucks going about the same speed. It was taking forever (literall I was behind him for over 10 minutes) and there was a line of 30 or so cars behind it. The line of trucks and cars passed a trooper waiting for speeders. The HP pulled out and started passing everyone on the shoulder. He got ahead of the group and whipped behind the semi and proceeded to pull it over. It was great.
                              Except that, according to the law ("The law says the left lane is only meant for drivers who are passing or turning.") the trucker wasn't doing anything wrong. He may have been going slower than you might have liked, but he was passing those in the right lane. Him getting pulled over is a good example of how this law is already being distorted and enforced poorly. In addition, wasn't he actually speeding anyway? I know that most states I've visited, the speed limit for truckers is 10mph under the standard (e.g. in IL our limit is 65, but 55 for truckers). If it's that way where you are, then the trucker wasn't going under the limit.

My problem with this law is that it creates a catch 22 situation. You're not supposed to be in the left lane unless you're going over the speed limit, right? Yet going 1mph over the speed limit is speeding and against the law. Are officers likely to enforce that so strictly? Doubtful. But it remains that the law creates a situation in which almost any use of the left lane can result in you getting a ticket. As much as I love our LEO's, there's always the ones that are pricks having a bad day or something (I refer you to the police officer arresting a fireman thread). This law simply gives more power to that kind of crap.

All things aside, I don't know where you guys all live that something like this is needed, heh. Illinois isn't known for its great highway drivers, but I routinely encounter people zooming up on me like a bat out of hell when I'm already passing someone by doing 10 over. I've yet to find people on a highway going under the limit in the left lane. Now city, that's a different story. :P
                              [squadl]
                              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X