Tibet Right Now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tibet Right Now

I apologize for reposting a mass e-mail, but this issue is critically important to my family. The following is from The International Campaign for Tibet. Since I haven't seen anything in the Sandbox or General Discussion about it yet, now is as good a time as any to post this. Please have a look, and contact your representatives if you can. Public outcry and civic involvement can have an effect if the call is large and loud enough. Thank you.

Originally posted by ICT
    Dear Friend,

The still unfolding demonstrations and unrest in Tibet are bigger than anything since the Dalai Lama fled in 1959.

After 49 years of rule by China, Tibetans throughout the country are showing how they feel about the “progress” China has brought. And it is a resounding vote of "no confidence."

The size and scope of demonstrations continues to grow -- and have spread from the monks to the laypeople, from central Tibet to eastern Tibet, and now to Tibetan university students throughout China. We are witnessing an amazing display of solidarity between Tibetans from all of Tibet’s regions.

The Chinese military brings tanks into the streets of Lhasa during recent protests.

Tibetan demonstrators are taking enormous risks. They could easily be arrested and tortured and spend months or years in prison. Yet they still demonstrate.

Earlier today I received an email with an eye-witness account of events in Lhasa...

“It is not clear how many people were arrested. All of the main streets have been blocked by military. The soldiers have been checking for everybody’s ID. Specially, people who were wearing Tibetan clothes were searched thoroughly. Soldiers forced their way in civilian homes to arrest people. They were using stick to beat those who have been arrested, and teargas to drive away onlookers.”

In coming weeks, we expect hundreds if not thousands of Tibetans will be arrested and tortured.

Today, we received the first photo showing bodies of Tibetan demonstrators in eastern Tibet. China is rapidly moving tourists, aid workers and journalists out of Tibet so that a much larger and systematic crackdown can begin without witnesses.

As I write this, we know that twenty-five journalists have already been expelled from eastern Tibet and only one is left in Lhasa. Without their coverage, we may never know how many Tibetans have been killed, how many arrested.

Monday night at midnight was the deadline for Tibetans to surrender and be treated more leniently -- but only if they agree to cooperate with Chinese authorities to identify friends, neighbors and relatives involved in protests. You can read more about this, and see the translated Chinese ultimatum at http://www.savetibet.org/.

March 8th, protests begin near Labrang Monestary as monks begin to march.
    Photo credit: Tibetan Center for Human Rights and Democracy

China’s propaganda machine is working overtime to quash news of the dozens of peaceful demonstrations, to focus on the damage to Chinese establishments by Tibetans in Lhasa, and to constantly broadcast the news and images that most inflame the Chinese people.

No historical civil rights movement can be reduced to the small handful of events that precede a shift in our culture and ethics.

Tibet’s movement for justice and freedom cannot be reduced to the burning of Chinese shops.

And now in this emergency, there is a great need for those of us who can stand up without fear of repression to do so.
    1. Urge President Bush to speak out publicly and ask China to show restraint, as well as address the fundamental causes that have led to events of the past week. Please call the President at 202-456-1111 or contact him by email at [email protected].

2. It is urgent that reporters be allowed into Tibet to independently verify what has happened. If you live in the U.S., please contact your member of Congress and ask them to demand that Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao honor his promise to open Tibet to journalists.

If you have not already, please make a donation to support ICT’s response during this critical time so we will continue to have the resources we need to react quickly and effectively.

In solidarity,

John Ackerly
    President
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Tibet Right Now

E-mailed them. (I have all three in a group list.)

There is very little noise about this. Part of it is because of China's secrecy. The other part is because nobody wants to upset them?

Shameful on our part. Where is the seeking of democracy and freedom for all peoples?
    I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Eh, we are a little busy at the moment to be picking fights with China. I do think that China is oppressing these people and something should be done.

I can't help but compare this to our discussion on the DC Firearms thing. The Tibetans are doing all they can to protest this and this is about all we could do in the same situation if our gun rights are taken away.

Comment

Thank you, Gringo.

Elwenil, please don't try to merge the two issues. One is not an object lesson of the other.
        sigpic

Comment

USA, where we will go to the other side of the earth to spread democracy, except in countries that own a majority stake in our debt!

More fun facts about china:
          Falun Gong / Falun Dafa is a peaceful philosophical practice (border line religion) whos popularity has soared in china (think the monks of tibet). The chinese government is not a fan, so they made it illegal to practice such religion/philosophy. They routinely arrest practitioners and torture them a la Orwell's 1984 to give up the practice. Those who refuse are put into forced labor/executed/or languish in prison.

As it turns out, the practice espouses a very healthy life style and the meditation has been shown to provide some very substantial health benefits as far as immune system regulation and general health are concerned. The chinese thought this useful so they now execute these prisoners on demand for wealthy transplant patients who can buy the organs!

Gooooo CHINA!

Back to the original post topic --- good information, I'll be sure to find a way to act on it. I saw the dali lama speak at rutgers a few years ago.. there is certainly something special about him. A peaceful man fighting diplomatically for his oppressed nation.
          Last edited by Switch; 03-19-2008, 04:50 PM.
          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
          That noob who crashed the chopper.
          That noob who ran over the mine.
          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I have my doubts about the effectiveness of the right to own pistols when there are tanks rolling down the street...

But yeah, something should definately be done, but we've sort of got our hands full at the moment. There's injustices waiting to be righted all over the world, and for all our super-power awesomeness we can only handle maybe one or two at a time if we want to have any reasonable chance of succeeding. The fact that China has numerically the largest army in the world is probably also relevant, in addition to the extent we are economically entangled with them.

Comment

As the world becomes more wired, the fact that we look the other way when confronted with China's injustices increasingly undermines our own moral claims in other regions.

The State Department upgraded China's Human Rights status just three days before the riots began.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                E-mailed them. (I have all three in a group list.)

There is very little noise about this. Part of it is because of China's secrecy. The other part is because nobody wants to upset them?

Shameful on our part. Where is the seeking of democracy and freedom for all peoples?
                Only when it suits our interest. I don't really believe we have ever had a moral high ground. Well not as significant as most would have you believe.

Is it just me or are those "tanks" the APCs from BF2?
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Those are Chinese Norinco WZ 551 APCs with what looks like 25mm turrets. And yes, I do believe that is the same model used in BF2.

Comment

Hows the majority of the people in China feel about their own government???
                    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

The people feel how ever the government wants them to feel. China is a prison. I study Buddhism and to see monks breaking things and rioting makes me realize this is very serious and very sad. They are physically saying give me liberty or give me death.

Comment

A friend sent me this link to a cartoon explaining how China developed its logo for the Olympics:

http://articulos-interesantes.blogsp...-olimpico.html
                        http://www.vincentchow.net/1615/how-...c-got-its-logo

The official Olympics website:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                          As the world becomes more wired, the fact that we look the other way when confronted with China's injustices increasingly undermines our own moral claims in other regions.

The State Department upgraded China's Human Rights status just three days before the riots began.
                          I don't understand what you would have us do. Is it time to send in the diplomats? I know your not for invading them. I am all for a finger wagging congressional resolution that shows our resolve, but what possibilities are out there to fix/prevent this?

Lucky Shot

Comment

For starters the government can aknoweldge chinas human rights violations openly and make it a talking point on par with the middle eastern human rights violations (of which we are not the primary perpetrator). The press talks about it occasionally, the government says nothing.
                            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                            That noob who crashed the chopper.
                            That noob who ran over the mine.
                            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                              USA, where we will go to the other side of the earth to spread democracy, except in countries that own a majority stake in our debt!

More fun facts about china:
                              Falun Gong / Falun Dafa is a peaceful philosophical practice (border line religion) whos popularity has soared in china (think the monks of tibet). The chinese government is not a fan, so they made it illegal to practice such religion/philosophy. They routinely arrest practitioners and torture them a la Orwell's 1984 to give up the practice. Those who refuse are put into forced labor/executed/or languish in prison.

As it turns out, the practice espouses a very healthy life style and the meditation has been shown to provide some very substantial health benefits as far as immune system regulation and general health are concerned. The chinese thought this useful so they now execute these prisoners on demand for wealthy transplant patients who can buy the organs!

Gooooo CHINA!

Back to the original post topic --- good information, I'll be sure to find a way to act on it. I saw the dali lama speak at rutgers a few years ago.. there is certainly something special about him. A peaceful man fighting diplomatically for his oppressed nation.
                              Originally posted by Wikipedia
                              Li has lived in the United States of America since 1998.

Attention had been given to Li Hongzhi because of the content of his lectures, including his direct or indirect claims of having "supernatural powers".[8] Maria Hsia Chang suggested that, based on Li's quotations, especially his direct or indirect claims of divinity, Falun Gong can rightfully be considered a religion.[8]

Li had given open-ended responses when asked about his identity. When asked in May 1999 if he was a human being, Li responded: "You can think of me as a human being."[9] When asked to name his teachers, Li replied that he had masters in two schools, but declined to divulge their names.[9]
                              Ever read about the Taiping Rebellion? China may be intolerant of Falun Gong but not without good reason. China is a country that above all needs stability, and any other pillar of organization is a danger so long as the government can't fully control 1 billion people. Don't paint things so black and white. China may be totalitarian, but it is extremely difficult to be totalitarian and secure, so they do what they must because they can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Hongzhi
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_rebellion

Lets get back to the topic at hand.

-Zephyr
                              You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                              We are not a single game.
                              We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                              We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X