Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff Joe Arpaio

I've read this story several times before and always liked it, but I finally decided to snopes it. This sheriff is one of my heroes. If all our nation's jails were run like this, it would definitely solve most of our prison problems, especially the insane costs associated with most of them. His animal shelter program is fantastic too! I know he's caught flack before from the public, but is there anyone here who thinks his ways are wrong?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/arpaio.asp
    Last edited by War.mongeR1; 03-21-2008, 12:33 PM.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Two forty cent meals a day and heat that melts candles while indoors. Sounds like rehabilitation to a "T."

Why does "The Shawshank Redemption" keep flashing into my mind? I'm sure it's not as bad as any of the Russian Gulags, but if it were: who cares, right? Felons aren't people anyways. Not coddling prisoners is one thing, but subjecting them to conditions like this isn't what I would call "humane."

The American prison system is in need of an overhaul, but this isn't the way to do it.

Comment

I think his ways are wrong in a number of ways, but to cite this specific example of comparing conditions to deployed military personnel, many of those personnel have access to air conditioning during the heat of summer, at least to sleep in.

He abuses prisoners, some of which are statistically innocent. It's wrong.

Comment

Prisoners of the legal system are entitled to a certain standard of treatment -- even if they are completely guilty without remorse or regret. Keeping people in 130+ degree housing falls outside the bounds of ethical treatment.

Unfortunately for them legal cases have determined that cruel and unusual means cruel AND unusual. Apparently you can have cruel treatment, if its not unusual -- or you can have unusual treatment if its not cruel. Absurd if you ask me, but since they're all suffering in this place, it is not unusual, which is probably how they get away with it being cruel.
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
        That noob who crashed the chopper.
        That noob who ran over the mine.
        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Um, I'd like to quote snopes here:
          Originally posted by Snopes
          Those few paragraphs devoted to describing the condition of the inmates held in that jail went on to be widely circulated on the Internet although they formed only the smallest portion of the original piece, an article that described the air's heat creating turbulence for airplanes overhead, car windshields shattering or falling out, dogs burning their paws on the pavement, and candles melting indoors.
          Please re-read the snopes report on it. Especially the part about the soldiers in iraq vs the inmates. Theres nothing wrong with tent city jails, they alleviate overcrowding of buildings that were constructed for a fraction of the capacity at which they are currently holding.

Also, 40 cent meals can go a long way. One box of instant mashed potatoes has 30 portioned servings at a cost of 2.69 a box. Thats less than 10 cents a serving as part of the meal. It's hardly mistreatment, and if the prisoners were being malnourished, there would be an investigation.

Plus, in Shawshank, the prisoners were treated fine with the exception of Andy Dufresne. The only reason his treatment was worse was because the warden was corrupt and andy was the key to that corruption. Oh yeah, and the one person who tried to interfere with the wardens plans, Tommy, got shot for his efforts to free Andy. The movie had nothing to do with horrible prison conditions on the whole.

Comment

I actually live where Sheriff Arpaio runs his "Terrible Jails".

Most of the people in them, are there for DUI's. I really could care less how they treat DUI "Prisoners".

Get a freaking DD man, I have played that role countless times, no excuse.

Anyway, back to the jail conditions. I actually know a few people that were there for DUI's, they were allowed to be out of the jail for good part of day if they had work or school, but they had to come back in right after. They told me about card games, vending machines, and good food YMMV.

Though he is a total wierdo, he runs the jails pretty good I think....
            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

That guy is so cool!

You know what I would do? If the prisoners complained about being hot I would waterboard them! That will cool them off, and shut them up!

And every once in awhile I would lob a grenade into the tent city because our soldiers have to face that kind of thing.

And I would video tape all this so that the local voters can get their jollies!

Even better, if I ruled the world I would put up big walls around the desert and just dump the prisoners in. If the live, good. If they die oh well! They are prisoners and deserve what ever they get. And it don't matter if they are in for bouncing some checks or smokin' some dope, a prisoner is a prisoner.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Is being exposed to the Sheriff's smug self-satisfaction a form of cruel and unusual punishment?
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  That guy is so cool!

You know what I would do? If the prisoners complained about being hot I would waterboard them! That will cool them off, and shut them up!

And every once in awhile I would lob a grenade into the tent city because our soldiers have to face that kind of thing.

And I would video tape all this so that the local voters can get their jollies!

Even better, if I ruled the world I would put up big walls around the desert and just dump the prisoners in. If the live, good. If they die oh well! They are prisoners and deserve what ever they get. And it don't matter if they are in for bouncing some checks or smokin' some dope, a prisoner is a prisoner.
                  Nice attempt at being funny

You are reading to much internet nonesense...
                  |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                    Also, 40 cent meals can go a long way. One box of instant mashed potatoes has 30 portioned servings at a cost of 2.69 a box. Thats less than 10 cents a serving as part of the meal. It's hardly mistreatment, and if the prisoners were being malnourished, there would be an investigation.
                    What kind do you buy? At most a box is going to run 80-100 calories per serving and I seriously doubt you're getting 30 servings. One box gets me maybe 4. Plus, you haven't factored in the cost of milk (which is pretty damned expensive when you consider how long it "stays") and other additives. If you go without milk (likely in this situation), you're cutting out more needed calories and fat. Yes, fat does come in handy when you're sweating and working all day.

100 calories is a pittance when you sit in front of a computer all day. It's next to nothing when you sweat at all hours of the day and are forced into manual labor. Cost per calorie is pretty easy to calculate and it's been shown that you either buy junk food (through subsidized sugar and wheat crops) or you're buying lower-quality foods.

And if people don't take prisoner's complaining about inhumane living conditions seriously (pick between that prison and something you've seen out of a Discovery show. I doubt anyone would pick the NM jail condition), you really think anyone cares if they're malnourished?

Hell no, all the average person cares about is that these people are locked away not dragging down their property value or increasing the crime rate in their area.

Plus, in Shawshank, the prisoners were treated fine with the exception of Andy Dufresne. The only reason his treatment was worse was because the warden was corrupt and andy was the key to that corruption. Oh yeah, and the one person who tried to interfere with the wardens plans, Tommy, got shot for his efforts to free Andy. The movie had nothing to do with horrible prison conditions on the whole.
                    No to go off topic, but did you even watch the movie? If anything, Andy had it easier once he became the warden's puppet. Throughout the course of the movie "Kuregan" killed one inmate and put the other in a wheelchair. This was common for him as noted by Freeman's character. The prisoners were also used as slave-labor (which is also how the Texas Prison system used to be run).

Yes, the movie was more about one man's stint in the place, but even when it glossed over the day to day dealings with the inmates, Shawshank isn't what I would call a model prison.

At some point in time, America decided that the amount of punishment a prisoner receives is based around, not the condition in which he spends it, but around the concept of "time served" and in extreme cases (past "life") the death penalty.

Why is it one county cop can decide that the time his inmates serve is allowed to be different (whether better or worse) than inmates in other prison systems. And this swings both ways. Did you ever watch Goodfellas?
                    The whole "Ritz resort" deal they had going on in prison is pretty much how it happened and these guys were cold-blooded killers. Should I get better or worse treatment based upon who I am or where I'm serving my time? No. If I stole a car, I should be forced to serve the same punishment as the next guy in, roughly, the same conditions.

Unfortunately, if my knowledge is correct, county jails aren't regulated like actual state or federal prisons are. And that's a bad thing. Imagine if this officer decided that all his prisoners should get free-HBO, brand new gym equipment every year, and steak dinners. Would you be singing the same tune?

I'll just ask this: what right does this officer have to determine how prisoners serve their time? Shouldn't that be regulated? For every story about prisons showing "tough love" there's another where the prison is looked at as free room and board.

Comment

Who is this Kuregan that you speak of? As I recall, the character, played by Clancy Brown, is Captain of the Guard Byron Hadley. And as to the people he hurt, the one in the wheelchair was a serial rapist and the one he killed, well thats just cruelty. I've watched the movie over 200 times. And yes, they were oh so mistreated. They had the freedom to build their own library. They got to play baseball in the yard. Sure, they worked in the plate shop pressing license plates, worked in the laundry to clean the linens and uniforms and worked on work details. Thats NOT uncommon. How many times have you driven down the highway and seen "Prison Work Crew" signs on the side of the road? I see them all the time. But the movie was also set in the 1940s-1960s. Rules for work details were a bit more lax because we didnt have as many people who went all bleeding heart over people who committed terrible crimes and wound up in prison as a result.

And FTR, I use Betty Crocker instant mashed potatoes. The box reads 16-20 servings and they're good sized servings. If you get 4 servings out of a box, then you're eating a pile of potatoes the size of the potato mountain that Richard Dreyfuss' character made in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The box also lists the caloric content as being 160 calories per serving. They can also be made with water, by the way, I used to make them that way all the time when camping.

The bottom line is that this is WIDELY publicized. If there was any mistreatment of the prisoners, I can guarantee you that there would be an investigation and charges brought if they found anything being done inappropriately.

From what Turkish said, most of the inmates at the "tent city" are DUI offenders, and if thats the case, I have NO SYMPATHY. My grandmother and 2 of my cousins were killed by drunk drivers at various points in my life. If they choose to be stupid and get caught for driving drunk, I'm in full favor of harsh treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                        From what Turkish said, most of the inmates at the "tent city" are DUI offenders, and if thats the case, I have NO SYMPATHY. My grandmother and 2 of my cousins were killed by drunk drivers at various points in my life. If they choose to be stupid and get caught for driving drunk, I'm in full favor of harsh treatment.
                        I agree with you 100%!!

Almost all of the offenders, are infact in there for DUI's!

We have the strictest DUI laws in the country from what I hear(can't confirm that).

As for the meals, they are actually pretty awesome looking for prison food!

You get a bologne(not it's not green) sandwhich of some sort , crackers, a fruit, and other little snacks.

Also they have access to vending machines from what I have been told by inmates...
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Well I am a native to AZ and Arpaio has his share of followers and haters. I am not against the way he runs his jail but I am against his grand standing antics and also against his abuse of the public office. There are many stories of Sheriff Joe drumming up charges of any public figures that go against him. Go to the New Times Magazine and you will here some pretty unbelievable stuff that he has done. The good Sheriff has had a long running battle with the local magazine here is a recent article. I think it is getting time for him to step down but I do hope that when someone does take over they keep his policies of the jail the same.

http://phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-03-2...ol-of-himself/
                          sigpic

Comment

He is a media whore, a prick and he costs the taxpayers of this county a ****load of money in lawsuits every year. He has "luxury" prisons for VIP offenders as well. What a lowlife.
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree with the media whore statement. If he would just concentrate on the jails, I would dislike him less.

I dislike him, but I'm not going to say that I could to a better job running the jails.
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X